• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego pays Open Carry Advocate $35,000 plus pays his legal fees.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Fantastic news sam

Bravo Zulu Sam hope this will make the training of LEO's high on the chief's priority list. If not they can standby for the next impending lawsuit I'm sure . Great job !!!!!

March Hare

Congratulations on the win, we need more of those!

“We do not encourage Unloaded Open Carrying of firearms in urban areas at this time,” said Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation.

My question for the above quote is, Why Not?

-MH

coolusername2007

Good news! This press release should be forwarded to every Sheriff and CLEO in the state!

On a side note I admit I was unaware that CGF was financially supporting this case. I also admit that I did not even know this case was even going on. My hat is off to CGF for their efforts and victory in this case, and my hat is off to Sam who is a true patriot. Carry on!

cato

Congratulations on the win, we need more of those!

My question for the above quote is, Why Not?

-MH

Long story short (In two parts):

1) UOC initially was resulting in false arrests (two years ago about the time of Sam's arrest). Many can be read at californiaopencarry.org. This was at a time when CGF was just forming. Convincing those depts & DAs that UOC was no crime (people v clark) took time & $$$ away from offensive legal action. Also OCers were/are vulnerable to conviction of the CA 1000' GFSZ law (two casualties so far :().

2) OC is a great tactic for social exposure when your tactic can not be legislated away like it is in States with open carry jurisprudence. CA and Federal jurisprudence, the only protection CA gun owners have, doesn't exist yet for us in a state with a ban happy legislature. UOC has insighted a UOC ban bill which did not pass this year only because two DEMS. were too sick to come to work. It will be back next year and will be a tooth and nail fight.

UOC can not change public opinion fast enough to make a change in the legislature before the Nov. elections. As you can see UOC has it benifits and liabilities. Pushing it now, when loaded carry is the right, risks a ban that would take years & $$$$$$$ to overturn. Ca may end up with a concealed right like TX/FL (OC prohibited) and that would be a shame (I hate CC personally as it has no deterent factor and makes draw difficult).

Last edited:

cato

Good news! This press release should be forwarded to every Sheriff and CLEO in the state!

On a side note I admit I was unaware that CGF was financially supporting this case. I also admit that I did not even know this case was even going on. My hat is off to CGF for their efforts and victory in this case, and my hat is off to Sam who is a true patriot. Carry on!

They have their eye on an end game which includes LOC AND CC. Playing chess means not revealing your plan. Believing in CGFs goals and strategy does not require blind faith only a look at their track record. When they ask us to hold off on large press getting UOC events there is a strategic reason aimed at keeping OC legal until we get it protected. Loosing it now could mean forever. Depending on how 2nd A jurisprudence shakes out, we may only be left with a 1st A. protection for exposure and that is not a certainty.

Last edited:

March Hare

Also OCers were/are vulnerable to conviction of the CA 1000' GFSZ law (two casualties so far ).

I'm sorry to hear about that, I hope that's one thing you can get fixed soon!

Fred at AZCDL said that changing laws is like making sausage, what goes in one end of the process doesn't always look like what comes out the other end.
I can appreciate the reasoning behind the statement, given what you've posted here, I sit humbly corrected.

Best of luck to all of you!

-MH

M

McX

all i can add to this discussion is: are ya reading this madison? are you getting the hint? here's your sign.

markm

Thanks Gundude for posting the settelement!

The settlement is now official. Sam increases his arsenal tenfold. :banana:

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.casd.308072/gov.uscourts.casd.308072.25.1.pdf

Congratulations Mr. Wolynak:

Your arrest record has now been cleared and legal fees have been paid for by the city. Hopefully, you have some money remaining from the settlement to cover the time that you invested in this case. The money and your cleared arrest record are huge wins for you and for Americans in general. False arrest followed by a fishing expedition to persecute an American cannot be tolerated in our free society.

The City of San Diego and the officers involved got off easy. Many of us don't want the reputation of LEOs to be tainted or their ability to hunt down criminals to be thwarted. By letting LEO of easy, you have proved your point and have upheld respect for law enforcement in general. You are not a greedy, spiteful human being.

This is another notch in the belt of american freedom.

Thanks for being a patriot!

markm

oc4ever

Glad this is over for you Sam. Does anyone know how much the city paid in Sam's attorneys fees?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought the 35k included the attorney fees. It's possible that the lawyers received the entirety of the settlement.

cato

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought the 35k included the attorney fees. It's possible that the lawyers received the entirety of the settlement.

Jason got paid, CGF got some of their money back, and a little was left over for Sam and Soldõna cried in her office for three days...so a little birdie told me. :)

Walt_Kowalski

California 'Double-Speak' of-the-day: '... We [CalGuns] support you Right to Keep and Bear Arms, BUT not really to Bear them while in Urban Areas.'

That is because the bad guys could give 2 shits about the law and are loaded (and concealed).

I hope you can strive for, and achive loaded carry in your state.

Army

That is because the bad guys could give 2 shits about the law and are loaded (and concealed).

I hope you can strive for, and achive loaded carry in your state.
Walt, he was being sarcastic in pointing out that Calguns.net is all about guns and rights and 2ndA.....unless it doesn't fit their particular agenda at the moment.

Calguns.net is truly working hard on getting all of California as "Shall Issue", making concealed carry legal and proper. Unfortunately, that means requiring "permission" to exersize a Constitutional Right from the local Sheriff...whereas UOC does not.

I would prefer to carry loaded openly, just like the cops....and without big brother's permission.