Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: padded 1911 holsters?

  1. #1
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129

    padded 1911 holsters?

    Are there padded 1911 holsters (preferebly serpa) that wont ruin the finish? I have a Metro Arms American Classic Commander with a nice blue finish. I don't want a "safe queen" but i don't want it to look like crap either. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00010-20100929-0814.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	4095

  2. #2
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    are you looking exclusively at OWB? What is your budget? Need retention?

  3. #3
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129
    Yes i need an OWB. Medium retention, and my budget is around $60 plus or minus

  4. #4
    Regular Member fozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    Check out safariland 6377/6280/6285. My 6377 has a little bit of 'slop' in the fit, which can be annoying if you have to jog/run, but it doesn't leave any of the holster wear marks that my serpa holster does. Luckily my first 1911 is a cheap Para, and all stainless steel, so I am not worried about holster wear.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

  5. #5
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    if you can spend a little more Safariland has lined retention holsters. Popular with LEO's and military


    www.safariland.com

  6. #6
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I love my Safariland 6378 (paddle version of the 6377, IIRC). However, it does wear the top of the slide on my XD45 a little bit.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    a little bit of wear on the blue/blck parts of a gun just adds character. It shows that you carry and practice a lot.

    Gun owners who want their guns to look like they are never used are like Harley owners who want their bikes to look they never get ridden... Ya gotta wonder what their real motivation is?...

    I fall into the "Triumph motorcycle" camp. If your headers ain't blue, you ain't true...

    Safe Queens are for BBQs, not daily carry...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  8. #8
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    a little bit of wear on the blue/blck parts of a gun just adds character. It shows that you carry and practice a lot.

    Gun owners who want their guns to look like they are never used are like Harley owners who want their bikes to look they never get ridden... Ya gotta wonder what their real motivation is?...

    I fall into the "Triumph motorcycle" camp. If your headers ain't blue, you ain't true...

    Safe Queens are for BBQs, not daily carry...
    I agree. There's really nothing wrong with having a gun or two to sit around and look nice, I guess-but don't expect your everyday carry to look like you just pulled it out of the box.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355
    The trouble with 'padded' holsters, is the soft material will catch dirt and dust and act like sandpaper after time.

    You'd be better off finding a less perfect firearm for everyday carry.
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 10-03-2010 at 04:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Give the Tucker Silent Thunder a look. It isn't padded, it's a leather holster surrounded by Kydex.

    http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    The Serpa has a little slop/play within it. One suggestion given to me was to sand a little where contact might be made, just enough to insert some felt material. I've not done this myself, so I'm not sure if it works. I was concerned with my 25 year old Springfield Milspec, so I sympathize with you.

    On the other side of that coin, you must remember that if you're carrying a piece, you should expect wear and tear. Nearly every holster out there will bear its mark on a firearm. Some with minor wear to the slide or frame, others in scratches.

  12. #12
    Regular Member cbpeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, USA
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    Give the Tucker Silent Thunder a look. It isn't padded, it's a leather holster surrounded by Kydex.

    http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
    +1, only here's a link directly to the Silent Thunder line on their website:

    http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithky.html

  13. #13
    Regular Member Big River Leather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pierce County, WI
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    The Serpa has a little slop/play within it. One suggestion given to me was to sand a little where contact might be made, just enough to insert some felt material. I've not done this myself, so I'm not sure if it works. I was concerned with my 25 year old Springfield Milspec, so I sympathize with you.

    On the other side of that coin, you must remember that if you're carrying a piece, you should expect wear and tear. Nearly every holster out there will bear its mark on a firearm. Some with minor wear to the slide or frame, others in scratches.
    No offense, but felt is one of the worst things you could line your holster with. The felt will grab and hold dirt particles which will scratch and wear your gun , sometimes in extreme fasion should a sand particle get caught up in there.

    From what you have described, the Tucker silent thunder fits the bill.

    I make my personal holsters from Horsehide. Aside from lining them, I think horsehide gives my gun as much protection as possible in a leather holsters due to the way it is "hard rolled" and has little or no fibers on the flesh side of the holster. When lining a holster, I use calfskin.

    Let us know what you choose!
    Big River Leather
    Handcrafted Gun Leather and Accessories
    http://www.bigriverleather.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •