• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

padded 1911 holsters?

COMMANDER1911

Are there padded 1911 holsters (preferebly serpa) that wont ruin the finish? I have a Metro Arms American Classic Commander with a nice blue finish. I don't want a "safe queen" but i don't want it to look like crap either. IMG00010-20100929-0814.jpg

fozzy71

Check out safariland 6377/6280/6285. My 6377 has a little bit of 'slop' in the fit, which can be annoying if you have to jog/run, but it doesn't leave any of the holster wear marks that my serpa holster does. Luckily my first 1911 is a cheap Para, and all stainless steel, so I am not worried about holster wear.

sultan62

I love my Safariland 6378 (paddle version of the 6377, IIRC). However, it does wear the top of the slide on my XD45 a little bit.

Dreamer

a little bit of wear on the blue/blck parts of a gun just adds character. It shows that you carry and practice a lot.

Gun owners who want their guns to look like they are never used are like Harley owners who want their bikes to look they never get ridden... Ya gotta wonder what their real motivation is?...

I fall into the "Triumph motorcycle" camp. If your headers ain't blue, you ain't true... ;)

Safe Queens are for BBQs, not daily carry...

sultan62

a little bit of wear on the blue/blck parts of a gun just adds character. It shows that you carry and practice a lot.

Gun owners who want their guns to look like they are never used are like Harley owners who want their bikes to look they never get ridden... Ya gotta wonder what their real motivation is?...

I fall into the "Triumph motorcycle" camp. If your headers ain't blue, you ain't true... ;)

Safe Queens are for BBQs, not daily carry...

I agree. There's really nothing wrong with having a gun or two to sit around and look nice, I guess-but don't expect your everyday carry to look like you just pulled it out of the box.

Shovelhead

The trouble with 'padded' holsters, is the soft material will catch dirt and dust and act like sandpaper after time.

You'd be better off finding a less perfect firearm for everyday carry.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

The Serpa has a little slop/play within it. One suggestion given to me was to sand a little where contact might be made, just enough to insert some felt material. I've not done this myself, so I'm not sure if it works. I was concerned with my 25 year old Springfield Milspec, so I sympathize with you.

On the other side of that coin, you must remember that if you're carrying a piece, you should expect wear and tear. Nearly every holster out there will bear its mark on a firearm. Some with minor wear to the slide or frame, others in scratches.

Big River Leather

The Serpa has a little slop/play within it. One suggestion given to me was to sand a little where contact might be made, just enough to insert some felt material. I've not done this myself, so I'm not sure if it works. I was concerned with my 25 year old Springfield Milspec, so I sympathize with you.

On the other side of that coin, you must remember that if you're carrying a piece, you should expect wear and tear. Nearly every holster out there will bear its mark on a firearm. Some with minor wear to the slide or frame, others in scratches.

No offense, but felt is one of the worst things you could line your holster with. The felt will grab and hold dirt particles which will scratch and wear your gun , sometimes in extreme fasion should a sand particle get caught up in there.

From what you have described, the Tucker silent thunder fits the bill.

I make my personal holsters from Horsehide. Aside from lining them, I think horsehide gives my gun as much protection as possible in a leather holsters due to the way it is "hard rolled" and has little or no fibers on the flesh side of the holster. When lining a holster, I use calfskin.

Let us know what you choose!