Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Blue card question

  1. #1
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Blue card question

    I have been having discussions with my local Calif. gun store owner. He has a non-resident concealed permit for Nevada. He says he is required to carry his blue card. I say he isn't.
    Can someone give me a source/answer to the question, please.

    Thanks.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524
    If he is not a resident of Clark County (as defined) he does not have to register his handgun, let alone carry the "blue card," which is not, and never was, required in any case.

    ================================================== =
    http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

    If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

    A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

    A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

    ==============================================
    IANAL and this is not legal advise.

    Ken

  3. #3
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    If he is not a resident of Clark County (as defined) he does not have to register his handgun, let alone carry the "blue card," which is not, and never was, required in any case.

    ================================================== =
    http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

    If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

    A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

    A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

    ==============================================
    IANAL and this is not legal advise.

    Ken
    Thanks for the info. He does have a blue card. It appears he got the permit in Clark County and he registered it any way.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    Thanks for the info. He does have a blue card. It appears he got the permit in Clark County and he registered it any way.
    The law requiring registration of handguns in Clark County was updated in 2009 limiting the requirement to guns owned by Clark County residents. Prior to that revision there was a lack of clarity and some who taught the CCW class required a "blue card" before qualifying a candidate.

    Ken

    p.s.; Those that taught the class also taught that it was required to carry the "blue card" as stated at the time on Metro's web site. The law never required "blue cards" at all let alone that they be carried.
    Last edited by CowboyKen; 09-29-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: to add p.s.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    Someone, somewhere screwed up. He isn't a resident of Clark County, but he may have gotten his permit there. Only residents of Clark County are required to register their pistols. He is a resident of Calif, and has a FFL license.(owns a gun store) He was required to qualify and take the class in Clark County.
    Sounds like the person giving out the permit got carried away and gave him a blue card, just because he could.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413
    To add to what's already been said, there's not even a requirement to ISSUE a blue card. In my mind, the blue card is merely a "receipt" that you registered. The last gun I bought at a gun store, I told them not to even bother filling out the blue card for me. The actual registration form was sent to metro, so the gun is properly registered. The blue card is meaningless.

    On the other hand, the blue card can expedite the process of cooperating with police if you so choose. If you choose to cooperate with police and answer questions, the blue card can help "prove" that you registered your gun. The blue card can also be useful if you purchase a new gun at a gun store still enforcing the 72 hour waiting period (Clark County 12.04.080). Although the law is now voided by state law, some gun stores are still enforcing that old law which requires a 72 hour waiting period between the time or purchase and the time of delivery. CC 12.04.090 provides an exception to those that "... currently owns a pistol which is duly registered in his name with any law enforcement agency in Clark County"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Sorry to hijack - did you say the 72 hr wait for pistols was repealed/voided in clark county? Please cite?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413
    NRS 244.364 preempts and voids all local ordinances except registration & discharge.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    63

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by timf343 View Post
    NRS 244.364 preempts and voids all local ordinances except registration & discharge.
    Tell that to the AG...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfish View Post
    Tell that to the AG...
    Yeah, we still have to work on that don't we. Maybe we can solve that problem come election time.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
    Yeah, we still have to work on that don't we. Maybe we can solve that problem come election time.
    I'm sure all of us will be come November

  12. #12
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    Sorry to hijack - did you say the 72 hr wait for pistols was repealed/voided in clark county? Please cite?
    LOL Feel free to hijack. I got the info I needed.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Speaking of the Bue card ... Travis Barrick sent me this article

    News Reports Join NPRIFind out how you can become a member of NPRI and join the fight for freedom in the Silver State.

    You can also learn about NPRI's endowment program.



    State politicians take aim at Clark County handgun registrationLack of audits, cooperation obstruct challenges
    Kyle Gillis

    Thursday, November 18, 2010


    Lawmakers have taken shots at the Clark County handgun registration program, but so far all of them have missed.

    State politicians on both sides of the political aisle are critical of the Clark County's firearm program that requires gun owners to register their handgun with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD). Clark County is the only county in the state requiring such registration.

    "It's a law nobody wants," said State Senator John Lee (D-Clark). "It's not cost effective and they [Sheriff's department] just do it because they've always done it."

    In 1989, the Nevada Legislature passed Nevada Revised Statute 244.364, establishing a uniform state law for all firearms in the state. At that time, the pre-existing Clark County registration program was grandfathered into the statute.

    According to the LVMPD's website, Clark handgun owners living in the county for 60 days must register their handguns and purchasers must register their new handgun within 72 hours. Additionally, the registration program requires owners to submit to a background check.

    State Assemblyman Ed Goedhart (R-Clark), who has submitted legislation regarding firearm possession in state parks, believes the Clark program violates not only the Nevada Constitution but the United States Constitution.

    "Anything that infringes on the Second Amendment is wrong," Goedhart said. "With the [registration] program, you're guilty until proven innocent."

    Lee has challenged the program multiple times. During the 2007 legislative session, he introduced a Bill Draft Request (BDR) that would have eliminated the grandfather clause, and wrote a letter to the LVMPD requesting justification of the program. However, the proposal was never brought to vote and Lee's letter was ignored.

    "It's a service with no service," Lee said. "It's turf building on the [LVMPD's] part and we've never received back any financial data on the program."

    NPRI also struggled obtaining information from the LVMPD. After following up on an ignored public records request, NPRI was transferred between four departments before the LVMPD acknowledged receipt of the request.

    In October, Clark County Commissioner and gubernatorial candidate Rory Reid asked the Clark County Manager's office to arrange an audit of the registration program. He requested information on program appropriations and objective data indicating the program's success, among other items. As of the time of this report, the audit is on the "to-do" list of the county auditor.

    According to Metro Sergeant Chuck Callaway, a quality assurance audit has not been performed on the registration program in years nor was an audit planned for the near future.

    With or without an audit, some state lawmakers remain skeptical of the program and its effectiveness.

    "It's important to lessen restrictions on law-abiding citizens," said former Assemblyman and State Senator James Settelmeyer (R-Capital). "Criminals who are irresponsible with guns aren't going to register them anyway."

    Settelmeyer submitted a BDR for the upcoming legislative session regarding concealed firearms permits. And Goedhart says that, while budgeting will be a top item in the session, if citizens take enough active interest in gun laws, proposals such as his, Settelemeyer's, and Lee's may see light.

    "At the end of the day, we're all public servants," Goedhart said. "If grassroots efforts generate a loud enough discussion, lawmakers will listen."

    Kyle Gillis is an investigative reporter at the Nevada Policy Research Institute. For more information visit http://npri.org/.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •