Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad wants to buy a Hi-Point .40 S&W - Your thougts or opinions needed

Dad wants to buy a Hi-Point .40 S&W - Your thougts or opinions needed

My Dad is considering purchasing his 1st handgun and taking a few firearms training courses. He's in his late 50's and in decent shape. A Hi-Point .40 S&W caught his eye and he has asked me for advice. I know nothing about the brand so I am looking for advice to pass on to him. 1st hand experience is preferred but if you can quote a reliable source, I'd like to know that too.

Anyone own one, shoot one, bought one, carried one? Your thoughts please.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    I have a highpoint 9mm not exactly a pistol but highpoint none the less, umm i personally think it's cheaply made and perhaps somewhat unsafe. I do not use this weapon for anything, not even target practice, i just dont feel safe with it. just my opinion though.
    i have 2, 10 round clips and a 15 round clip for it, the 10's came with it, the 15 is made by someone else and jams ALOT not even worth using. The 10's seem to work fine.

In highpoint defence I know others who love it and don't see any safety issues, i just think it's made of cheap material which results in unsafe weapons.
    Last edited by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX; 09-29-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Post
    I have a highpoint 9mm not exactly a pistol but highpoint none the less, umm i personally think it's cheaply made and perhaps somewhat unsafe. I do not use this weapon for anything, not even target practice, i just dont feel safe with it. just my opinion though.
    if you have time can you elaborate on why you
    just dont feel safe with it.
    I can understand the perception of being "cheaply made" because the price is on the low end of the scale, but if there is a safety concern, I'd like to know.

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    How about asking how much he wants to spend? That's usually a good first question. Hi-Point's are cheap for sure, but if it's not so important that he stay in that price range there are a world of much better (IMHO) options out there.

You can probably pick up a gently used pistol of a quality manufacture that may serve better in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hi-Points are complete junk or anything; however, I think that even owners of Hi-Points would agree that there are far better firearms out there if you are willing to spend a little extra.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    How about asking how much he wants to spend? That's usually a good first question. Hi-Point's are cheap for sure, but if it's not so important that he stay in that price range there are a world of much better (IMHO) options out there.

You can probably pick up a gently used pistol of a quality manufacture that may serve better in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hi-Points are complete junk or anything; however, I think that even owners of Hi-Points would agree that there are far better firearms out there if you are willing to spend a little extra.
    that's good advice. He saw this hi-point at his local BX/PX on base and was intrigued at the $125 price tag. He is retired military but does pretty well for himself. He can afford more ('cause I know he's not diverting any $$ my way) if that's the route he should be going. How much further though? My first handgun was a new glock 19 purchased in Delavan, WI, but I don't think he's going to want to drop 5 or 600 beans on hist first handgun.

week end,,,,

highpoint is the new saturday night special.
    the are made very much like a raven or a jennings.
    heavy zinc castings, blow back action, need tools to take apart.
    go to the sub forum for hand gun discussion
    much has been written about the pros and cons of that brand.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    Well, the gun does jam alot, not "as much" with the clips it came with (safety issue to me, cant defend if it's jammed). I also dropped the gun 10 times with a loaded round out of 10 it discharged 2 times (which is why I won't use it). Other then that it is just made cheaply, LOTS of plastic parts.

It's an alright gun for range shooting. That is to say when it jams your life won't depend on it. If he's going to be carrying it or using it for defense in the home I would suggest being on the look out for a used glock. That will be, of course, more money. If he really wants to just do some plinking look for a used Ruger MK II/III .22 handgun. Super accurate, bullet proof design and crazy cheap to shoot.

www.armslist.com is a great website for used guns if he want's to do a face to face purchase (no FFL transfer fees) and www.gunbroker.com is great for finding pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    highpoint is the new saturday night special.
    the are made very much like a raven or a jennings.
    heavy zinc castings, blow back action, need tools to take apart.
    go to the sub forum for hand gun discussion
    much has been written about the pros and cons of that brand.
    "the sub forum for handgun discussion", where is it? I run a search for Hi-Point .40 and get hundreds of threads returned. I'd like to read specifically the pros and cons.

go here

Quote Originally Posted by IcrewUH60 View Post
    "the sub forum for handgun discussion", where is it? I run a search for Hi-Point .40 and get hundreds of threads returned. I'd like to read specifically the pros and cons.
    Hi Point! Oh yes, i went there

this will also put you in the sub forum. it wont be the only highpoint thread.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

I own two hi-points and I have to say they are nothing special but they do shoot well. We keep one on each side of the bed for protection. I wouln't want to carry, it seems a bit heavy for that.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    My Dad is considering purchasing his 1st handgun and taking a few firearms training courses. He's in his late 50's and in decent shape. A Hi-Point .40 S&W caught his eye and he has asked me for advice. I know nothing about the brand so I am looking for advice to pass on to him. 1st hand experience is preferred but if you can quote a reliable source, I'd like to know that too.

Anyone own one, shoot one, bought one, carried one? Your thoughts please.
    They shoot fine and most are reliable enough. If you can afford more, there are far better choices for a first and only handgun. If that is your budget, you could do far worse such as a Jennings, etc.... A Hi-Point is not inherently unsafe. A Jennings is. Hi-Points are actually suprisingly well made considering the price point. For $125, it will be a good learning experience. If it jams every magazine, he will be frustrated enough to spend more money next time. If it performs to his satisfaction, there is no reason to spend more.

HI-Points are cheaply made, JUNK ( nothing I would trust my life with ). Tell him to pony up and extra 400.00 and get a Glock 23 in 40S&W ( 450.-500.00ish all day long )
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    HI-Points are cheaply made, JUNK ( nothing I would trust my life with ). Tell him to pony up and extra 400.00 and get a Glock 23 in 40S&W ( 450.-500.00ish all day long )
    +10000000000000000000000000000000
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

bhancock

I wouldn't hesitate

I own a C9 and like it very much. It fit my price range, fires every time unless I use Winchester white box ammo, Fiocchi, Remington, Hornady are all good. The .40 is considerably larger than the C9. Lifetime warranty is nice too. I carry mine every where I go and it gets a bit of abuse because I go a lot of places, it is holding up very well for being knocked around a lot. I have fired as many as 250 rounds before cleaning without a jamb or misfire. I have looked at a few 'name brand' guns that have just as much plastic and cast materials for 3X the price. Yes you do need a few basic tools to disassemble, 2 punches and a hocky puck.
    Last edited by bhancock; 09-29-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo

bhancock
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    +10000000000000000000000000000000
    First hand experience? If it is I would really like to hear the stories, the facts that is, not inflamed opinion. I may buy a larger caliber Hi Point and if there really is a problem I would like to know about. All my research to date has turned up a few jamb or failure to feed issues, but not one catastrophic failure.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    First hand experience? If it is I would really like to hear the stories, the facts that is, not inflamed opinion. I may buy a larger caliber Hi Point and if there really is a problem I would like to know about. All my research to date has turned up a few jamb or failure to feed issues, but not one catastrophic failure.
    You are best off just going to a group which owns and shoots them instead of those who are biased and simply refuse to own one....
    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...3p3p26ci90;www

If you CANNOT afford something better, it's still better than a brick (and when it's out of ammo, it can double as one!)

I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine that has never had a malfunction with the factory mag (I have some aftermarket that are no-goes, period.) They do stand by their product, lifetime guarantee, and they are made in America.

They are, however, very basic in construction (there are parts of my carbine that look like they've been taken off my grandpa's 1930's era tractor...) and very basic in function (I believe they're simple blowback guns across the board... could be wrong on the .40s though.) Plus they are ugly beyond belief.

Personally, I'd never get one of their handguns for anything more than a novelty. There's plenty of quality used arms out there for little more.

I have a High Point 9MM and have fired many many boxes of different ammo through it and it only jammed once and that was after around 200 rounds without cleaning on a day I was feeling really frisky at the range. Sure they are cheap and weigh as much as any 2 other guns (some I hear call them The Brick) but I can't say anything bad about them from personal experiance. It's a fine gun for the sock drawer next to the bed, maybe a little heavy to CC or OC.

Ignore the haters

Yup... they are cheap ... and clunky....

But for the price they do the job, Everyone I know that has ever ACTUALLY OWNED ONE (as opposed to repeating drivel they heard from their nephews uncles cousin , who incidentally never even owned a gun) , has said EXACTLY the same thing

Crappy trigger pull, Heavy, Clunky and reliable as the brick that it is......

Quote Originally Posted by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Post
    Well, the gun does jam alot, not "as much" with the clips it came with (safety issue to me, cant defend if it's jammed). I also dropped the gun 10 times with a loaded round out of 10 it discharged 2 times (which is why I won't use it). Other then that it is just made cheaply, LOTS of plastic parts.
    Wholly misleading post batman

"unreliable" DOES NOT equal "unsafe" (however intentionally dropping a loaded firearm makes YOU unsafe) and you should probably send it back as it is OBVIOUS to the rest of us , yours has a malfunction

And I found why yours is having problems...... Stop using clips and put the magazine in the thing..... It aint a garand , If you are going to spout drivel, at least keep it technically accurate drivel.

I dont own a hi point but I and my son also own a 9mm carbine and I shoot the daylights out of it. I have never had a malfunction of any type using white box or my reloads I would buy a 9mm pistol of that make but I already have a single stack low cost 9mm pistol ( walther p-1 ) but if I didnt then I might buy one.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    that's good advice. He saw this hi-point at his local BX/PX on base and was intrigued at the $125 price tag. He is retired military but does pretty well for himself. He can afford more ('cause I know he's not diverting any $$ my way) if that's the route he should be going. How much further though? My first handgun was a new glock 19 purchased in Delavan, WI, but I don't think he's going to want to drop 5 or 600 beans on hist first handgun.
    If he's willing to spend a little more but not new "HK prices" there are great used deals out there all the time. Just gotta keep your eyes open. The last three pistols I bought were all great deals on the used market:

Stainless fully loaded Springfield 1911 $425
    Beretta 96 FS $275
    HK USPc $450

The HK is the one I normally carry. All you gotta do is be in the right place at the right time and have some cash in your hand. Never know when a sweet deal will fall into your lap!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP. Sorry, I had to.

HiPoint

My grandson recently bought a HiPoint 9mm and brought it out to shoot. I think it jammed once in just under a box of ammo. I had trouble shooting an entire magazine mostly from the PAIN involved with the shooting. Since a good quality pistol will sell for 450-700 and the HiPoint for 139, in this case you'll get what you paid for. My advice is keep shopping. Don't ever buy the cheapest thing available.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast