• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad wants to buy a Hi-Point .40 S&W - Your thougts or opinions needed

SprayAndPray

Well, the gun does jam alot, not "as much" with the clips it came with (safety issue to me, cant defend if it's jammed). I also dropped the gun 10 times with a loaded round out of 10 it discharged 2 times (which is why I won't use it). Other then that it is just made cheaply, LOTS of plastic parts.

Wholly misleading post batman

"unreliable" DOES NOT equal "unsafe" (however intentionally dropping a loaded firearm makes YOU unsafe) and you should probably send it back as it is OBVIOUS to the rest of us , yours has a malfunction

And I found why yours is having problems...... Stop using clips and put the magazine in the thing..... It aint a garand , If you are going to spout drivel, at least keep it technically accurate drivel.

cheezhed

I dont own a hi point but I and my son also own a 9mm carbine and I shoot the daylights out of it. I have never had a malfunction of any type using white box or my reloads I would buy a 9mm pistol of that make but I already have a single stack low cost 9mm pistol ( walther p-1 ) but if I didnt then I might buy one.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
that's good advice. He saw this hi-point at his local BX/PX on base and was intrigued at the $125 price tag. He is retired military but does pretty well for himself. He can afford more ('cause I know he's not diverting any $$ my way) if that's the route he should be going. How much further though? My first handgun was a new glock 19 purchased in Delavan, WI, but I don't think he's going to want to drop 5 or 600 beans on hist first handgun.

If he's willing to spend a little more but not new "HK prices" there are great used deals out there all the time. Just gotta keep your eyes open. The last three pistols I bought were all great deals on the used market:

Stainless fully loaded Springfield 1911 $425
Beretta 96 FS $275
HK USPc $450

The HK is the one I normally carry. All you gotta do is be in the right place at the right time and have some cash in your hand. Never know when a sweet deal will fall into your lap!

Krusty

HiPoint

My grandson recently bought a HiPoint 9mm and brought it out to shoot. I think it jammed once in just under a box of ammo. I had trouble shooting an entire magazine mostly from the PAIN involved with the shooting. Since a good quality pistol will sell for 450-700 and the HiPoint for 139, in this case you'll get what you paid for. My advice is keep shopping. Don't ever buy the cheapest thing available.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
nope I never owned one why ? well they do say something about a fool and his money..... BUT I did work at a Green Bay gun store for a year & I did handle MANY of them, sold MANY of them ( to idiots ) what do you get in a hand gun that cost's lest than 130.00 ? a piece of crap !!!! but go ahead and buy one, I could careless it's your life....just a side note...if you have one & take it to an OC function....you will be laughed at... I mean people have some dignity & self respect....Gang bangers on welfare that don't know any better have hipoints....

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
nope I never owned one why ? well they do say something about a fool and his money..... BUT I did work at a Green Bay gun store for a year & I did handle MANY of them, sold MANY of them ( to idiots ) what do you get in a hand gun that cost's lest than 130.00 ? a piece of crap !!!! but go ahead and buy one, I could careless it's your life....just a side note...if you have one & take it to an OC function....you will be laughed at... I mean people have some dignity & self respect....Gang bangers on welfare that don't know any better have hipoints....

hahaha I could not have said it better myself.

But if it ever comes to TEOTWAWKI and all my other guns are broken or lost, then I would rather have a loaded Hi-Point than a brick.

M

McX

got a thang for my hi point .40. my beloved precious, as i call it. ol precious may not look real pretty, but she takes a beating, and has always been there when i needed her, and has several confirmed deterrent effect events to it's name.

SprayAndPray

Wow..... laughing at people for exercising their rights in the only way they may be able to afford to .....

That is SURE to win to win people over to the side of our cause.

Sometimes I wonder whose side you guys are one

M

McX

hmmmm, i've never been laughed at. whether it's high priced, or economy, all that matters to me is that the machine does it's job when called upon to do so. to anyone who wishes to laugh at me, feel welcome to do so, it is your right. i don't mind you using your rights at all.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Several Hi-Point Handguns Were Tested By Gun Tests Magazine. Results?

I subscribe to Gun Tests magazine and it wasn't too long ago (less than a year IIRC) that they tested one or more Hi Point handguns. The results were great for a "Brick" or a "Cheaply made piece of junk" as some have stated. The gun(s) were highly recommended for those that wanted a reliable, albeit inexpensive and heavy handgun.

I will get one if I ever run across them but I have yet to see the .45 ACP model available in the gun stores I frequent. Will I carry it? Nope. Too heavy for me. Will I shoot it? Of course.

And keep in mind that the phrase "Saturday Night Special" was something created by the anti-gun folks way back when (sixties) to put a scare into the sheep that don't know squat about firearms. "Saturday Night Special" was used the way "Assault Weapon" or "Assault Rifle" are used today; To create images of death and destruction in the minds of people who are ignorant.

And I have never laughed at anyone carrying any firearm. What goes on in the minds of some people?

Carcharodon

Ive owned 2 hi-points. They were ugly and heavy but always went bang when I pulled the trigger. I beat the **** out of the carbine I had and it wouldnt quit. I bet I put 2000 rounds through that thing one summer. I would rather have a lighter carry gun or at least a double stack mag for the size. you do have to get what you can afford though, I have no problem with the reliability of Hi-point firearms.

NRAMARINE

Personal experiences with highpoints. #1 constant feed problems. #2 Magazines hang up and fall out. #3 The weapon is twice the size of a glock, extra bulk to try to make up for inferior materials. #4 Had one literally fall apart in my hand. #5 inferior metalurgy (materials) and design. #6 insufficient accuracy. # 7 very ammo particular. You get what you pay for. In this case I guarantee you will buy regret.

J.Gleason

Banned
Personally seen a friends Glock 21 misfire a round in the chamber. It blew the sides of the slide out and bruised his hand pretty good. In my eyes, Glocks are not much better than the Hi-Points. the only reason they are priced higher is because that is what all of the LEO's latched onto when they first came out. That was because they were labeled a tactical weapon.

I am a Smith&Wesson man myself. A 6906, 9mm or a 410S 40 Cal. are definitely worth the money. Never had an issue with a Smith&Wesson, ever.

I did own a Hi-Point 9mm at one time. I sold it years ago. I did not care for the break down procedure, remove the roll pin and all of that. Otherwise never really had an issue with it, no misfires, no jams. But I always used good ammo too.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned

At least learn how to do this correctly will you?

There is no such thing as +1000 or +10,000 or +1,000,000,000,000,000 etc.

All it means is that you have no original thoughts on the subject yourself and you are adding yourself as a +1 to the posters thoughts.

If there are three guys in a row with nothing original to add, then it would be +1, +2, +3...

My buddy Serpent told me he had two Hi-points and they were both pieces of crap but he would not elaborate. I do know that he has all ten fingers and both eyes though, so I'm sure that the failures were not catastrophic.

Last edited:
X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

Wholly misleading post batman

"unreliable" DOES NOT equal "unsafe" (however intentionally dropping a loaded firearm makes YOU unsafe) and you should probably send it back as it is OBVIOUS to the rest of us , yours has a malfunction

And I found why yours is having problems...... Stop using clips and put the magazine in the thing..... It aint a garand , If you are going to spout drivel, at least keep it technically accurate drivel.

Intentionally TESTING my firearm does not make me unsafe aslong as it's done in a controlled manner. Just because you choose to trust a weapon you have not tested does not mean I do. I use the equipment which was issued with the weapon. Yes I have a clip/magazine (i dont care which term is tech right) that was not issued but I do not use it as it jams, for that matter I do not use the weapon because in MY OPINION it's a pos.

edit: why give you reason to my actions, not like it's going to change your opinions.

Last edited:

The Don

At least learn how to do this correctly will you?

There is no such thing as +1000 or +10,000 or +1,000,000,000,000,000 etc.

All it means is that you have no original thoughts on the subject yourself and you are adding yourself as a +1 to the posters thoughts.

If there are three guys in a row with nothing original to add, then it would be +1, +2, +3...

My buddy Serpent told me he had two Hi-points and they were both pieces of crap but he would not elaborate. I do know that he has all ten fingers and both eyes though, so I'm sure that the failures were not catastrophic.

yeah, I get that. it's also used to indicate varying levels of agreement. the higher the number, the more you agree with the post on which you're commenting. it's pretty common to use it that way, actually - including on this forum.

thanks for pointing it out, though.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Wow..... laughing at people for exercising their rights in the only way they may be able to afford to .....

That is SURE to win to win people over to the side of our cause.

Sometimes I wonder whose side you guys are one

I am on my side & like i said..If a person want's to buy a sub standard cheaply made inferior high point firearm go ahead waste your money on a ugly looking, pile o' crud. But don't be surpised if you get looks when In the company of others who also carry. Spray on this we disagree big time. Is steak night still on ? or not.....

The Don

Personal experiences with highpoints. #1 constant feed problems. #2 Magazines hang up and fall out. #3 The weapon is twice the size of a glock, extra bulk to try to make up for inferior materials. #4 Had one literally fall apart in my hand. #5 inferior metalurgy (materials) and design. #6 insufficient accuracy. # 7 very ammo particular. You get what you pay for. In this case I guarantee you will buy regret.

I've had 3 Desert Eagles (slow learner, as you'll see) with many of the 7 issues you listed, NRAMARINE. (Not picking on you in particular, you just nicely listed the common complaints many have stated.)

#1 constant feed problems - big time with the .44 Mag and both .50 AEs (no, I wasn't limp wristing it when I shot.)

#2 Magazines hang up and fall out. - they didn't fall out, but I did find with the .44 and one of the .50s that you had to really make sure you got it fully seated.

#3 The weapon is twice the size of a glock, extra bulk to try to make up for inferior materials. - much more than twice the size.

#4 Had one literally fall apart in my hand. - never had that happen

#5 inferior metalurgy (materials) and design. - no comment on the metalurgy and design, but the quality of construction wasn't anywhere near what I was expected (coming from a Sig P220) given the price tag. not to mention disassembly and cleaning with the dual spring/gas piston system.

#6 insufficient accuracy. - actually, it was very accurate

# 7 very ammo particular. - oh my god, was it ammo particular.

You get what you pay for. - sometimes you don't, too.

on the plus side, as the gun dealer I bought my first one from told me...

"if someone's breaking into your house and you manage to miss them with all 7 shots, at least the gun is heavy enough that you can throw it at them and kill them."

As for question the OP asked, it sounds the Hi-Points could be more likely to have issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean your dad will have any issues. Make him aware of that so he can make an informed decision, but ultimately it's his choice. Pretty much the same as with any purchase anyone makes.