• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad wants to buy a Hi-Point .40 S&W - Your thougts or opinions needed

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
High Points are made to a price point. You really do get what you pay for when you buy a gun. I would take your dad to a gun shop and have him get his hands on a few guns. If it doesn't fit his hand then he won't want to shoot it. Personally I would recommend Glock, however due to his military past he might like an M1911A1 or Beretta 92FS based on when he served. He will already be familiar with it and that is a big advantage.

I have a personal dislike of the .40 caliber. I would say 9mm or .45 based on how either gun fits in his hand.

Spartacus

Banned
yeah, I get that. it's also used to indicate varying levels of agreement. the higher the number, the more you agree with the post on which you're commenting. it's pretty common to use it that way, actually - including on this forum.

No actually its not commonly used to describe "varying levels of agreement" as you describe and if it is then its like a disease that has spread from one forum to another by the mis-users themselves.

I am a forum owner and a mod and participant on a half dozen others and have been on the web since Al Gore and I invented it so I know of what I speak.

B

bhancock

nope I never owned one why ? well they do say something about a fool and his money..... BUT I did work at a Green Bay gun store for a year & I did handle MANY of them, sold MANY of them ( to idiots ) what do you get in a hand gun that cost's lest than 130.00 ? a piece of crap !!!! but go ahead and buy one, I could careless it's your life....just a side note...if you have one & take it to an OC function....you will be laughed at... I mean people have some dignity & self respect....Gang bangers on welfare that don't know any better have hipoints....

I have never been laughed at, at least not for carrying my Hi Point. I bought mine from Moe's in BRF and the associates there stated that they have a high level of customer satisfaction with them. So I guess it may have more to do with the crowd you hang with. A couple weeks ago I looked at a S&W Sigma Series, and it really felt like I was holding a toy compared to The HP. Now that's obviously not a very scientific way to compare, but if you like a heavier gun that is proven reliable at a low cost, and made in the USA, well then a HP just might be the gun for you. Money, by the way, can't buy dignity and self respect. I really don't give a rip what hangs on your hip, how you treat other people and what comes out of your mouth is more important.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Hi-Point

I have the 9mm carbine. They are not the best looking gun, but for the price and warranty, they're not bad. I've read a lot of reviews and most said good things about them. I'm thinking of getting the 9mm one. Also I like my Kel Tec PF9 which is not much bigger than a .380, so it's nice size for carrying either OC or CC.

KS_to_CA

I have a highpoint 9mm not exactly a pistol but highpoint none the less, umm i personally think it's cheaply made and perhaps somewhat unsafe. I do not use this weapon for anything, not even target practice, i just dont feel safe with it. just my opinion though.
i have 2, 10 round clips and a 15 round clip for it, the 10's came with it, the 15 is made by someone else and jams ALOT not even worth using. The 10's seem to work fine.

In highpoint defence I know others who love it and don't see any safety issues, i just think it's made of cheap material which results in unsafe weapons.

If you don't want it send it my way.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Personal experiences with highpoints. #1 constant feed problems. #2 Magazines hang up and fall out. #3 The weapon is twice the size of a glock, extra bulk to try to make up for inferior materials. #4 Had one literally fall apart in my hand. #5 inferior metalurgy (materials) and design. #6 insufficient accuracy. # 7 very ammo particular. You get what you pay for. In this case I guarantee you will buy regret.

at least I am not alone here, thats 3 -4 of us that think they are very low quality.

Last edited:

The Don

No actually its not commonly used to describe "varying levels of agreement" as you describe and if it is then its like a disease that has spread from one forum to another by the mis-users themselves.

I am a forum owner and a mod and participant on a half dozen others and have been on the web since Al Gore and I invented it so I know of what I speak.

It's not used that way? Odd, I see it used that way quite a bit - on this forum, even. I must be wrong. Oh wait - are you using you special dictionary again? Seriously, you've even commented on it in the past in one of you personal attacks against me and another member.

Even if out started out as a mis-use, it's a commonly accepted use now. Languages constantly change and evolve even if you and Al Gore *rolls eyes* don't like it.

It's weird that you picked me to call out on it. I'm sure that wasn't a backhanded personal attack or anything.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
To be fair, at least that many have stated they've had no problems even with high use.

Just because thousands of people have purchased these cheap pistols does not mean they are good quality or smart buys just people being thrifty with their lives. This is kinda like the 51 % of America that voted for Obama , less than 2 years later they are beginning to see the error of their ways as his popularity is on the decline. Just like many that have bought this gun it looked cheap at the gun store, bought it, took it to the range and out of the box it was having issues....not for everyone just some.....like Obama some people still like him, yet others are going...hmmmm maybe I should have chosen more wisely. Moral to the story...You get what you pay for.

professor gun

In the Basic Pistol courses I teach some students have brought Hi-Points to the range. Those that I have seen had ongoing and frequent function problems. I have not shot one myself.

On the other hand, if that is all a person can afford, then so be it. When I was a poor graduate student I bought a Raven .25 (OK, don't laugh at me) new for $33. It went bang every time the trigger was pulled and it was better than using fingernails for self defense. I still have the Raven. I also bought a Jennings .22 when they first came out in the late 1970's because that was all I could afford at the time. Still have that one too.

If you do not have the money for a pricier handgun, get a Hi-Point. I am not going to criticize your choice or laugh at you.

wrightme

I used to own a Hi-Point .45. I do not recall it EVER jamming, failure to feed, or fail to fire. It was accurate. It sent a round at the point of aim, hit it, each time. It was low-cost and clunky. But it functioned flawlessly every time.

Last edited:

duckdog

I have three of the pistols, as well as the carbine and I bet they've shot about 3000 rds through each and I have not really seen any issues. I bought them for shooting cast bullets out of, as I cast lots of bullets, and they perform just fine. I have a FFL 03 and have a pretty good collection of firearms and in my opinion, they go bang just like the rest of them. With the warranty the have, if it breaks, send it in and they'll fix it for free... forever.

A lot of time, failure to feed issues isn't really the gun, but is most often caused by not loading the mag quite right. Some guns are downright touchy about it. To each his own, I say. I definitely don't care how much the next guy pays for a gun.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
1) Price and reliability are not really related. Not all that long ago I remember reading a review of one of the custom-made 1911's in the $2500+ range that jammed horribly with a variety of loads. On the other hand my approx. $350 Ruger P95 has not had a single malfunction in the 15 years or so that I've had it and the many thousands of rounds I've put through it. Nor have I had a single instance of a malfunction in 3 of 4 Glocks I own. For that matter, I've not had a single malfunction in a cheapish and crudely made Kel-tec P3AT, although I've only put a few hundred rounds through it so far. There is no factor more important in a defensive firearm than reliability. If your firearm proves 100% reliable then it meets the first and most important test of a defensive firearm, regardless of cost or cosmetic features.

2) That said, successfully shooting box after box of Winchester "white box" ammo or other target ammo is not by itself an adequate indicator of a firearm's reliability for defensive use. One must also have evidence that the gun is equally reliable with whatever good quality defensive ammo you would carry outside the range, i.e., hollow points. I fire many boxes of target ammo, but I also periodically run all my magazines of "the good stuff" through each gun also to make sure what I carry on the street equals the target ammo in reliability. It also assures me that I'm always carrying fresh ammo.

3) Once upon a time nearly every pistol made had the potential to fire when dropped. It didn't make them unreliable, but it did make it prudent to load 5 rounds in a six shooter except when combat was imminent. But I have to say intentionally dropping a firearm with live rounds chambered is a highly questionable and dangerous practice. Repeating the experiment after having a single discharge is beyond comprehension. If you insist on abusing your firearms in such a manner, then at least purchase a pack of snap caps to conduct your test. That's why such products are on the market, so you can perform or practice various manipulations of a firearm when live ammo is unsafe to use. Additionally snap caps are great on the range to practice malfunction drills. Have your friend load a snap cap somewhere in the magazine so you don't know when the gun will fail to go "bang" and then practice making smooth tap n' rack malfunction drills.

4) If you happen to drop your gun during a fight then you probably have more to worry about than the just the fact that you might have a gun that discharges when dropped. I suppose it's not a great comfort that such a firearm has an equal chance of hitting a bad guy as it does hitting you or an innocent person.

hardballer

I have a C9 Put at least a 1000 rounds through it every year since 1999. Never missed a beat. Still shoots as good as any pistol I've shot and I have shot a few. It is accurate and reliable. For the $99.99 that I paid, I would have to say I got my money's worth.

Now if I had the choice between my custom full sized 1911 or my Colt Combat Commander and the lowly Hi-Point, I guess I would be a 1911 fan. If all I could afford is a Hi-point, I would be all for it. To compare it to a Jensen or Lorcin is disingenuous at best. Those guns were pieces of crap.

The Hi-Point, though it is not perfect, certainly not the lightest in it's class, a little tougher to disassemble and perhaps a bit ugly, it is not a piece of junk. It is an inexpensive, very reliable and accurate little gun, in my experience. It comes with an iron clad life time warranty. Period.

I am no fan of the divisive behavior demonstrated here either. Sad to see.

luvnfords

i own a hi-point .45 and i am very pleased with it so far. it is a little heavy at first but you quickly get used to it and dont even notice it hanging on your side. i have two friends that own a hi-point and they are both very happy with them. one friend owns the .45 and the other one own the 9mm. the only problem i have had with mine is trying to find a good holster to fit it, right now i am using a uncle mikes i think.

COMMANDER1911

tell him to check out the sw40ve. they are cheap and fantastic guns as long as you get the later generations. I had one and absolutely loved it.

SprayAndPray

I am on my side & like i said..If a person want's to buy a sub standard cheaply made inferior high point firearm go ahead waste your money on a ugly looking, pile o' crud. But don't be surpised if you get looks when In the company of others who also carry. Spray on this we disagree big time. Is steak night still on ? or not.....

oh no its still on.... just need to pick a day... hows next thursday night work for you?

(the old ladys off that night too)

Mlutz

i own a hi-point .45 and i am very pleased with it so far. it is a little heavy at first but you quickly get used to it and dont even notice it hanging on your side. i have two friends that own a hi-point and they are both very happy with them. one friend owns the .45 and the other one own the 9mm. the only problem i have had with mine is trying to find a good holster to fit it, right now i am using a uncle mikes i think.

Check out Fobus holsters. Well... Just check here...
http://www.fobusholster.com/index.p...h&search_in=all&search_str=Hi-Point&x=21&y=12

Hope this helps.

SW9VE

I DID own a Hi-Point 9mm. Had it only 2 weeks, this is why. There is no way to be accurate with it. It feels VERY heavy in your hand, almost like holding a hammer. Every single clip full fired through it had at least 2 jams. And before some smart ass says I didnt load it right, Ive been shooting hand guns since I was 11 years old and Im now 30. After shooting only 200 rounds through it, the gun exploded in my hand. I got VERY lucky and only have a small scar on my thumb where the slide blew apart and a chunk of it hit my hand. The gun is VERY unsafe and I would NOT recommend this gun to anyone. If your looking for a cheaper gun for your first and want it to be decent for the price, try either Smith & Wesson or Taurus. Both are very well made and Ive fired both. Don't have a complaint about either. Good luck and I hope this helps.

My Dad is considering purchasing his 1st handgun and taking a few firearms training courses. He's in his late 50's and in decent shape. A Hi-Point .40 S&W caught his eye and he has asked me for advice. I know nothing about the brand so I am looking for advice to pass on to him. 1st hand experience is preferred but if you can quote a reliable source, I'd like to know that too.

Anyone own one, shoot one, bought one, carried one? Your thoughts please.

Last edited: