• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad wants to buy a Hi-Point .40 S&W - Your thougts or opinions needed

Texas Pride

That is pretty impressive! Good shooting and I would never want to be in sights!

Thank you.. the funny thing though I had a big smile on my face when I looked at a guy that was in the Army taking a level 3 commission as I was and he looked pissed. and he was standing next to me I should of took a picture of his face....

IcrewUH60

Thank you.. the funny thing though I had a big smile on my face when I looked at a guy that was in the Army taking a level 3 commission as I was and he looked pissed. and he was standing next to me I should of took a picture of his face....

Nice shot group :D

Just remember that not all Army vets fired handguns during their service. Some MOS's (like 67T) issued the Barretta 9mm as the primary defensive weapon but most soldier's primary weapon was the M16.

Texas Pride

Nice shot group :D

Just remember that not all Army vets fired handguns during their service. Some MOS's (like 67T) issued the Barretta 9mm as the primary defensive weapon but most soldier's primary weapon was the M16.

thank you, I know it just was one of those moments that i wished i just had a camera.. but other than that the guy was really cool

Mike Frye

My Dad is considering purchasing his 1st handgun and taking a few firearms training courses. He's in his late 50's and in decent shape. A Hi-Point .40 S&W caught his eye and he has asked me for advice. I know nothing about the brand so I am looking for advice to pass on to him. 1st hand experience is preferred but if you can quote a reliable source, I'd like to know that too.

Anyone own one, shoot one, bought one, carried one? Your thoughts please.

I brought a NIB highpoint 9mm just to personally see if they were junk or not. I own quite a few handguns and along with some of my proven guns I took the High Point to the range and put it through some tourture. I loaded up 4 mags with ammo and fired all the mags as quickly as I could shoot and reload. this gun didnt skip a beat and I found it to be quite accurate as well. The only down fall is that it is very heavy and the .40 cal your looking at is even heavier. Also it takes alot of effort to clean this gun so I sold mine to a friend that just wanted a house gun. I must also note that it didnt like hollowpoint ammo at all, but some feed ramp polishing could change that. Just spend about 100 dollars more and get a "Bersa", nicer looks, better value and piece of mind. You wont be sorry.

xD.45Service

My two cents..

I own a hipoint CF380, C9, and a 995 carbine, I've owned two JHP45's but never the .40.

My CF380 was the first one, I shot the crap out of it until 380 ammo got scarce and overpriced.. It's never jammed. Bought it brand new for $109

My C9 I'm the 3rd owner of, It went through two brother-in-laws before becoming mine. It's never jammed. I've burnt up a TON of 9 through it.

My 45 on the other hand was nothing but problems. It wouldn't fire more than 2 rounds consecutively. Mainly magazine issues, sent the mag back to Hi-Point for a dollar and they shipped me a new one. That worked, til that mag crapped out. Sold it.

Did some work on a truck and the guy paid me with another Hi-Point 45, So I gave it a shot or two. it jammed like no other also. pawned it off quickly.

It seems with Hi-Points its either a hit or miss. Take it to the range, put a few hundred rounds through it and if it jams every other round, ship it back to Hi-Point. Even if you're not the original owner. LLT!

Now, they are very ugly, a PITA to strip and clean, once you get it apart springs tend to fly. I've been told you don't have to do a real detailed cleaning on one because they are so sloppy, I've never cleaned any of mine and they shoot fine.

Needless to say I've upgraded from them to an XD45, XDm9, SR9, PX4 Storm, Thunder45, Thunder380, Jericho 941, TZ-75, Beretta 96D, Taurus 709, Taurus 24/7 and a few others.. I don't carry the hipoint and can imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable.

Needless to say if that is what he wants to spend, BUY IT! If it's a piece, send it back or sell it.

cscitney87

After owning mine for about a year I can say it was a waste of money. I don't even bother taking it to the shooting range. It's embarrassing. I bring it camping as a backpack gun. That's it's only use. Stays unloaded in a box most of it's life.

wrightme

After owning mine for about a year I can say it was a waste of money. I don't even bother taking it to the shooting range. It's embarrassing. I bring it camping as a backpack gun. That's it's only use. Stays unloaded in a box most of it's life.
If it was a "waste of money" and you don't bother taking it to the shooting range, why do you use it as a camping backpack gun? Seems like it wasn't a waste of money if you actually have a use for it.

Why do you not practice with it at the shooting range, yet take it with you camping?

Texas Pride

If it was a "waste of money" and you don't bother taking it to the shooting range, why do you use it as a camping backpack gun? Seems like it wasn't a waste of money if you actually have a use for it.

Why do you not practice with it at the shooting range, yet take it with you camping?

I think he got tired of not being able to shoot right since he doesnt practice that much with it.. or getting laughed at..

M

McX

i love my hi point .40's. banged around the shop with it on my hip for years, clunked and dropped, spattered with all manner of fluids, cleaned off with a rag and compressed air. now i carry what i consider an itty bitty, but my hipoint got beloved retirement, and now goes out to the range with me, my kid has one, the others i save for the future. damn glad i bought it. still call her by her given name; precious.

WCrawford

My Dad is considering purchasing his 1st handgun and taking a few firearms training courses. He's in his late 50's and in decent shape. A Hi-Point .40 S&W caught his eye and he has asked me for advice. I know nothing about the brand so I am looking for advice to pass on to him. 1st hand experience is preferred but if you can quote a reliable source, I'd like to know that too.

Anyone own one, shoot one, bought one, carried one? Your thoughts please.

I'm late to this discussion, and admitedly have not read past the 1st page.

Does your dad live in WI as well?

Does he plan on OCing?

If the answer is yes to both, go ahead and tell him the Hi-Point. With the things that are happening in WI, it is possible that the weapon would be confiscated and he not see it again until the weapon was totally unusable.

If he wants something for home use/target practice, advise him to look a bit higher up the price scale.

Texas Pride

That would be funny except the Hi Point shoots straighter than any of my other pistols. It has a fixed barrel. Thanks for playing; try again next week ;)

What is funnier I have a highpoint 45 acp and Know it has a fixed barrel and can out shoot you anyday and the picture I posted was me. nice try and it aint our fault you are getting laughed at.

Texas Pride

i love my hi point .40's. banged around the shop with it on my hip for years, clunked and dropped, spattered with all manner of fluids, cleaned off with a rag and compressed air. now i carry what i consider an itty bitty, but my hipoint got beloved retirement, and now goes out to the range with me, my kid has one, the others i save for the future. damn glad i bought it. still call her by her given name; precious.

LOL cool story, I named minr kujo-jo

p.publius

Seg

After discussions with the friendly people at my range (Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, VA) they said all their Hi-Point rentals are the most returned for breakage. Read: totally unreliable.

Have your dad look at an FNP-40 or 45. Much nicer gun in a low price range. BTW Glocks are nice too.

M

McX

After discussions with the friendly people at my range (Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, VA) they said all their Hi-Point rentals are the most returned for breakage. Read: totally unreliable.

Have your dad look at an FNP-40 or 45. Much nicer gun in a low price range. BTW Glocks are nice too.

all things created by the hand of man break. who cares? lifetime warranty, send in the broken part, and they send you a new one, plus i hear sometimes they give you an extra mag. for your trouble. MADE IN AMERICA, for Americans, by Americans- that's what matters to me.

Texas Pride

Heck dude I used to own a glock36, I found it to be the most worthless hand gun I have ever owned.. I ended up burying it in my back yard also other than the Highpoint JHP 45 ACP which I have had for a year not once did I ever have an issue with it. I also have a SIG-Sauer P220 .45 ACP pistol which jams up every once in awhile and that is my backup gun my high point is way more accuarate than my sig so in a way your point is mute.

Last edited:

ZO6Vettever

Everything I have read about HiPoint's from HiPoint owners has been positive. For home protection , a 45 acp for $165. that is proven reliablity sounds good to me. To use for EDC would be insane, it's huge and weights a ton. Made in the USA (I know, Bryco/Jennings/etc. also made in the USA) but they have a lifetime warranty and many happy owners. All that being said, if it were my Dad I would try to steer him away to a better quality weapon. Example, a S&W 40VE for about $300. bucks. Glad to hear your Dad is going to defend himself against the BG's!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
About 2 years ago I bought a Hi-Point 995 Carbine (9mm) and immediately got rid of the ugly plastic stock (so ugly, it had a face that could stop a thousand clocks). The ATI people said their replacement stock was "drop-in" gunsmithing. Hilarious !! Aftyer a few hours with a rat-tail file and a few other tools, it "dropped in". Anyway, the gun cost me $200 and the stock $50. It shooots WWB ammo all day with hardly a hiccup and turns in decent groups at 50 yards. Nobody laughs at me on the range...perhaps because they all know me after all these years and know better .....but I get a bunch of comments indicating how well it shoots, and how it looks like a Beretta Storm without all the jams and trigger problems! For a SHTF-BUG I'd throw it in the car first!