• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Shooter sighting in "Style Weekly"

Repeater

This forum's ProShooter is in the new Style Weekly, available today:

After Obama Spike, Concealed-Gun Permits Wane

Fewer Richmonders have applied for concealed-gun permits this year, despite the new law that allows concealed weapons in restaurants.

From the beginning of the year through August, 424 permits have been issued in Richmond. That’s a 22-percent decrease from the same period in 2009, when 545 permits were issued. In 2008, city residents received 425 permits for the same eight-month period.

Statewide, there’s been a 35-percent plunge in new permits. Virginians have been issued 34,191 concealed-carry permits this year, compared with 52,337 in the same period last year.

“The numbers are deceiving,” says James Reynolds, president and chief firearms instructor at Proactive Shooters LLC. “Last year is the spike, and this is where we’re getting back to normal.” The election of President Barack Obama in 2008 led many people to buy firearms and get concealed-carry permits, he says, because of fears their gun rights would be revoked.

“This summer was actually one of our best summers,” says Reynolds, who teaches firearms classes in Richmond and across the state. Proof of basic firearms safety training and a background check are required before a Virginian can get a concealed-carry permit, which is valid for five years.

Reynolds says he sees a diverse group of students in his classes, including college students living off-campus, divorced spouses, nurses who work night shifts and seniors who “realize the firearm is the great equalizer.” Some churches are even encouraging their congregations to get concealed carry permits, he says. Two weeks ago, he taught a group from a Baptist church in Hopewell.

curtiswr

This inspired me to check on that douche bartender's Twitter from a little bit ago and on there he said:

After tomorrows Style Weekly comes out the gun nuts are going to lynch my ass...

He said it on the 27th, so I'm assuming whatever it was came out already. To be honest though, I have enough toilet paper at the moment, and I don't want to browse through the Style Weekly website to find out what keys he's mashed in his latest unfettered, drug inspired, grudge holding, troll state. I wonder if the article about concealed permits is any lead-up to whatever he is referencing, but not enough to truly care. Maybe someone else will find it.

He enjoyed the attention and Style Weekly probably enjoyed whatever spike in site hits and/or readers there was, if there was one. They both want more of it I'm betting, but Jack probably wants the attention more and he's trying hard it seems. But we've already written him off after his five minutes of shame on NBC12 with PVC, and some of us before that.

In short, what I'm saying is Style Weekly sucks and is no friend of gun owners and I have a hard time believing that they will write anything about guns without some spiteful motivation behind it.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Thank you for posting the article Repeater!

I did a phone interview with Melissa last week. I didn't want to say anything ahead of time in case the article was dropped. So many of my interviews end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

I think that she wrote an excellent article that doesn't take sides. It just tells the facts, like a good piece of journalism should.

Repeater

This inspired me to check on that douche bartender's Twitter from a little bit ago and on there he said:

After tomorrows Style Weekly comes out the gun nuts are going to lynch my ass...

No, he was referring to this:

Punch Drunk

This Week: Intervening Myself
by Jack Lauterback

“Falling off the wagon” means that one has fallen off the water cart, and is a metaphor that implies that one is imbibing (heavily) after a period of sobriety.

The reason I bring this up is because of a recent breakup and my ensuing bender. Not that I was ever on the wagon myself, ...

While we’re on the subject of drunken morons. ...

I Laughed

Recently a concealed weapons permit holder shot himself in the leg while ordering an alcoholic beverage in a Lynchburg bar (Roanoke Times). And all this time I was being told that permit holders were angels who could do no wrong. They would never drink while carrying their concealed weapons! Impossible!

I believe my gun debate opponent and head of the Virginia Citizens Defense League Mr. Philip Van Cleave’s exact words were, “a one in a zillion chance,” in reference to a permit holder breaking the law.

Well hell, looks like this Lynchburg fella won the Powerball, got struck by lightning and had sextuplets all in the same day!

I hate to say that I told you so but wait, I love to say it. Here we go: I told you so.

Next time an innocent bystander will get hit with that bullet and not the drunk jackass who’s packing the pistol. Oh well, the new concealed carry law is the law in Virginia and we know who to thank for it.

Now let there be blood. ...

Well as you can see, he's not one to gloat, right?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Proshooter is a lightweight. He was supposed to set up a table at Bike night tonight. His helper waited a long time and finally gave up and went home.
Sad, just very sad:D:D