• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Membership - What would you like to see?

ep0k

What we discovered with our initial membership model is that it was simply out of most people's price range and it didn't look like there would really be recurring benefits for people who wanted to renew after a year (how many t-shirts do you really need, after all...?)

My thinking on the topic is that we should model it after a few other organizations I'm a member of, which more or less follow this format:

Basic membership that gets you the newsletter and discounts with any affiliates should be free. I really think this is the most important thing to preserve.

As far as paid membership, a lot of organizations start at $10 with the option to donate more as you choose. This would be the basic level where you get a membership card and probably some other products like a pocket-size legal information and police-stop cheat sheet. We run this operation on a shoestring budget so if ten interested people sign up for a basic membership we've just covered our web hosting cost for the year, etc.

Merchandise like t-shirts, hats, buttons, bumper stickers etc would all just be sold separately on the website.

All proceeds would stay internal to the organization and be used exclusively in compliance with our mission statement.

This is all just my personal thinking on the topic and I'd love to hear suggestions for ways to improve from here, but generally speaking I think this is a well-rounded model to work from and it seems pretty successful with the groups I've seen use it. Shane and I might be the most publicly visible members but its the rest of you that make this work and we don't want to alienate anyone due to financial constraints.

hightecrebel

Sounds like a good idea to me. Still planning on having a 'Life' membership available? Or maybe a 'contributor' donation level or similar named one with a unique item received for donations over a certain amount, completely separate from membership?

Last edited:

ep0k

Sounds like a good idea to me. Still planning on having a 'Life' membership available? Or maybe a 'contributor' donation level or similar named one with a unique item received for donations over a certain amount, completely separate from membership?

Yes, definitely. That's also a part of the models I've been looking at. Generally speaking these would still be yearly memberships but above a certain dollar amount it would become a life membership which automatically renews with no additional contribution.

Jeff_JMB

If I were to consider joining I'd like to see a charter and or bylaws to define the structure of the organization, how decisions will be made and who speaks for the organization.

For example, something as seemingly minor as naming an official endorsed provider of training could cause a lot of hard feelings and divisiveness depending on how the decision is perceived to have been made. Especially if you're looking to get other trainers to join.

ep0k

If I were to consider joining I'd like to see a charter and or bylaws to define the structure of the organization, how decisions will be made and who speaks for the organization.

For example, something as seemingly minor as naming an official endorsed provider of training could cause a lot of hard feelings and divisiveness depending on how the decision is perceived to have been made. Especially if you're looking to get other trainers to join.

This is a very valid point.

And yeah, we knew we would be stepping on some toes with that decision.

jonjon_jon

I haven't been following the forum for some time. Did you have the blood drive and was it a success? Membership cost to Maine OC hasn't really been the issue for me even though it does pinch. I would have joined in time, but fully expected this to happen it's hard to lead especially when asking for cash. I believe the 10 dollars is good idea let people get used to the idea you can raise membership fees at later date little to time. I would also again suggest again having a event at a gun show with some flyers available and sign people up for newsletter and membership there. Is there a mailing address on the newsletter where we can send the money I'll make a point of getting with the program?

I have also suggested in the past a classified add spot on newsletter. I have concealed carry in waist ban holster which I will donate money to Maine OC if someone would like to give me 10 bucks for it. I may have some other stuff around here if there was a way to post it in newsletter and I bet other people may also.

Last edited: