• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THIS IS ME: Backyard Shooting Leads To Arrest In Hillsboro

We-the-People

One is NOT obligated to allow a threatening party to get within reach before defending themselves. A man 20 feet away with a knife who says "I'm going to cut your throat" is a legitimate "target" the moment he makes the first advance. (Tueller drill has show that a knife wielding assailant can cover 21 feet and put his blade into you before you can draw and stop him with your firearm).

In this case the following are key pieces of law:

161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person

When the criminal charged, the law abiding citizen reasonably believed that the criminal intended to commit great harm to him (a felony).

161.225 Use of physical force in defense of premises. (1) A person in lawful possession or control of premises is justified in using physical force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate what the person reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by the other person in or upon the premises.

(2) A person may use deadly physical force under the circumstances set forth in subsection (1) of this section only:

(a) In defense of a person as provided in ORS 161.219; or

(b) When the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent the commission of arson or a felony by force and violence by the trespasser.

(3) As used in subsection (1) and subsection (2)(a) of this section, “premises” includes any building as defined in ORS 164.205 and any real property. As used in subsection (2)(b) of this section, “premises” includes any building. [1971 c.743 §25]

When the criminal charged the law abiding citizen, section 2 a became operative. Section 3 makes it abundantly clear that it is not just inside your home but also defending your property where the statutes apply.

161.229 Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission by the other person of theft or criminal mischief of property. [1971 c.743 §26]

Going out to stop the criminals was authorized. Only and idiot (or a brady buncher....oh same thing) would go out unarmed. Still, deadly force isn't authorized simply because of the crime. When the criminal charged the law abiding citizen, deadly force, per ORS 166.219 & 166.225, immediately became the relevant sections of law.

In the end it still all comes down to what the reasonable person would have done when the criminals charged. It is not relevant if a reasonable person would have gone outside to yell at the criminals as that is a lawful act, even if armed when so doing.

Now, if the victim (that would be the homeowner not the damn criminals trespassing) told the cops "I shot at them to scare them away".....Ooops.....bad spud.....guilty.

If he said "the guy charged me and I shot at him" and nothing else, well then the cops are going to say "he couldn't articulate fear of harm" but that doesn't mean that he wasn't in fear (and therefore justified if a reasonable person in the same situation would be in fear) of great bodily harm. Perhaps he simply made a short statement and then esercised his right to remain silent.

If he said absolutely nothing to the cops, he still didn't articulate to them the requirements necessary to justify firing......but he doesn't have to say anything to them per the Constitution. His lawyer will speak and the victim need not even open his mouth.

If thevictim got "diareah mouth" and blabbed his heart out, it probably won't matter whether it was truly justified or not as they'll twist every word and statment into an indictment.

The case is fresh, the details few, and apparently the victim has taken heed of the advice to STFU and lawyer up. Kudo's to him for that. Time will tell us the outcome.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Most of the speculation depends upon if the teens committed a felony, note no felony charges were filed indicating a lack of evidence to support charges. If there was I am sure the LEA would have filed on them and we would be looking at a different story.

The argument about someone running at you allows you to use physical force not necessary deadly force.
The except would be disparity of force for one to use deadly force upon someone with out a weapon based on size, strength, numbers, man vs woman, boxer, defensive arts or to be hurt to where no longer could defend themselves.

The firearm we carry is not the first choice for a response in the majority of cases of tool of last resort when no other tool will stop the imminent threat to life or limb.
Using a firearm for being punched is not legal, you may well be in a fight to defend yourself or that of another before it reaches a level of deadly force.

Do not be so eager to use that firearms you carry, it may well cost your freedom.

Lastly if he can prove he acted in self defense do to he was in fear for his life, great if not he will pay a dear price.

Last edited:

We-the-People

I will say it again....and only the part the makes it SO SIMPLE if the story is as it appears......

161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person

When the criminal charged, the law abiding citizen reasonably believed that the criminal intended to commit great harm to him (a felony).

End of story.

That the criminals were not charged is meaningless. We all know that the system considers a citizen exercising their RIGHT to SELF DEFENSE (to not be a victim for the police to come take a report about) to be an abomination and an infringment upon their monopoly. Do not be surprised to hear that the criminals get a sweetheart deal (no charges, a slap on the wrist, etc.) in exchange for telling their (highly reliable I'm sure...cough, choke,, gag) side of the story on the stand should the law abiding citizen have the stomach to face down the system and not take a plea "deal". (we all also know that the system loves to charge you with crap they can't prove and then play "nice" by offering you a "lesser charge" so they don't have to defend their bogus actions in a court of law)

GSXRrider

I will say it again....and only the part the makes it SO SIMPLE if the story is as it appears......

End of story.

That the criminals were not charged is meaningless. We all know that the system considers a citizen exercising their RIGHT to SELF DEFENSE (to not be a victim for the police to come take a report about) to be an abomination and an infringment upon their monopoly. Do not be surprised to hear that the criminals get a sweetheart deal (no charges, a slap on the wrist, etc.) in exchange for telling their (highly reliable I'm sure...cough, choke,, gag) side of the story on the stand should the law abiding citizen have the stomach to face down the system and not take a plea "deal". (we all also know that the system loves to charge you with crap they can't prove and then play "nice" by offering you a "lesser charge" so they don't have to defend their bogus actions in a court of law)

I have to agree with you on this. I'm definitely not a believer in "medical" marijuana or "legal" grow operations but it seems like our rights to defend our property are slipping away. Basically nothing you can do when somebody is going thru your property in your backyard, they just have to leave before the cops show up. You can yell at them all you want, doesn't mean it's going to do anything. But the law does say committing or ATTEMPTING to commit.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

End of story.

I am very aware of the laws you are posting and it still comes back to the fact you are assuming there was a felony committed by the teens where there is no indication it reached a level of being a felony.
To be a felony it must reach certain thresholds stated in law which applies to us as well, if these thresholds are not met then a lesser crime or no crime has been committed thus will not be able to use that in your defense by stating they committed a felony with out the evidence.

Gunslinger

Neither of us was there and details are sketchy. However, two trespassers in the middle of the night in a neighborhood like that (from video very tightly packed homes)...just HAPPEN to be in hte yard with the pot plants? A good defense attorney can make the case that they were there to commit felony theft. That would be a "felony in progress". Just as the guy in the bank who presents a note that says "I have a gun, this is a stickup" is commiting a felony before he gets his mitts on the dough, these kids were there to commit a felony.

Won't work. Facts not in evidence, calling for a conclusion, irrelevant. Passing a note is completely different. He is offering a robbery and convicted by his note. What may or may not have been the motive of the punks is inadmissable without something more concrete than speculation. However, that being said, it could be used in mitigation of the sentence, or to offer a better plea deal. It is not an affirmative defense under any circumstances in this case.

Last edited:

Aubb

Well if you weren't on dope,you wouldn't of been so paranoid.
Pot plants in the back yard will attract people especially teenagers.
You made a big mistake,and now are gonna pay for it.
Your wild shots could of killed innocent people.
Your life will never be the same now.

We-the-People

"Attempting to commit"....if the defense was disallowed at trial it would be grounds to pursue reversal.

The larger problem however, is that the criminals in CA (and most other states) have more protections than the law abiding citizenry upon which they prey. Any wonder why there is a crime problem in urban areas?

Ed69

Even if the OP gets away with what he did he may well loose his green card just for being charged.No more legal weed.

Teddybearfrmhell

might be the "legal weed" was the reason he didnt give a damn where his "warning shot" went.

personally i do my very best not to support idiocy, and unless he was shooting AT someone while defending his life or property, he shouldnt be shooting at all..... this kind of careless disregard is exactly the kind of story that anti-gunners want to see.

as for the free weed....... its a non issue here, its a gun forum, not a free weed forum. maybe the "demon weed" clouded his thinking.

less weed = smarter gun owners

JackOR

Could he also be charged with Reckless Endangerment for firing a "warning shot" in a neighborhood? or Recklessly discharging a firearm?