• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UVA advises students to protect themselves?

Average Dad

I just saw a story on WAVY-10 where they reported that UVA is advising students to protect themselves after a number of assaults have occurred around campus. They reported that the attacker "seems to blend in" with the students and may have stalked some of the victims...

Nice warning...

My question is HOW are they supposed to "protect themselves" when UVA has a strict 'No weapons of any kind" policy?

How fast can someone learn karate?

Average Dad

Throw thier books at them?

Are you serious? The sad thing is I know you are........

Gives a whole new meaning to "Throw the book at 'em"

Don't worry if you are attacked son, just "Book'em Dano."

Thanks folks I'll be here all night.

Average Dad

They should throw books at their attacker. That's what JMU tells students to do (seriously).

WAIT A MINUTE! If the students throw books at the attacker, then that makes the book a WEAPON. Since ALL weapons are forbidden on campus, then they'll have to ban ALL the books! Not just the Bible and the Constitution...

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Not to mention ---

for those complaining about premium self defense ammo being expensive, it's nothing compared to throwing your hundred dollar textbooks or even more expensive laptops. :lol:

Not to mention the cost of finding and outfitting your books or laptops with a laser targeting system or a red dot just to make sure you don't miss....

MSC 45ACP

There are some "intermediate weapons" out there that aren't firearms, but can be used effectively to deter an attacker. I know they are also not supposed to be carried, but in a situation where one is used, I think it would be easier to apologize than to seek permission...

hunter45

I at least feel pretty safe in one of my classes now. The other day we were talking about what would happen if an active shooter was in the building. The professor said "I got you guys covered if that ever happens" (I'm pretty sure he was indirectly telling us he was armed). He's a police officer, so I had already assumed that he carried to class.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I at least feel pretty safe in one of my classes now. The other day we were talking about what would happen if an active shooter was in the building. The professor said "I got you guys covered if that ever happens" (I'm pretty sure he was indirectly telling us he was armed). He's a police officer, so I had already assumed that he carried to class.

Ah yes, one of the privileged and he is under what obligation?

What about the common people?

ocholsteroc

Ah yes, one of the privileged and he is under what obligation?

What about the common people?

Who us?

they do not care about our safty. :mad:

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I wonder if there is a way to quantify how many college students legally carry to class and on campus generally even though it violates college administrative rules?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder if there is a way to quantify how many college students legally carry to class and on campus generally even though it violates college administrative rules?

A blind poll likely would be the only way.

Reaching the targeted audience would present its own difficulties.