• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries crossdraw?

jeeper1

I don't go to ranges for many reasons, cost, distance, range officers with bad attitudes, restrictions on what I can shoot and more. I don't understand why I they won't let me shoot my cannons, mortars and flare launchers there (just kidding).

Metalhead47

I looked out the window once and saw a LEO with his primary standard draw and a pearl handled (yes, pearl handled) backup cross draw on his thigh. My co-workers and I discussed it for a bit then concluded how much easier it would be to draw a cross draw backup from the thigh while seated in a car.

Hey speaking of you, how the heck do you draw??:confused: I noticed from the Cabelas pix you seem to carry around 2 o'clock with a butt-forward cant, how can you even get a grip on it when it's in front of your arm like that?:confused:

Practice with any holster combination makes you proficient. The range where I am a member does not allow any holster work. Does anyone have this problem too? Where do you go to practice on your holster proficiency?

-Whitney

Gravel pit/woods... pretty much all ranges frown on that stuff.

DoomGoober

Hey speaking of you, how the heck do you draw??:confused: I noticed from the Cabelas pix you seem to carry around 2 o'clock with a butt-forward cant, how can you even get a grip on it when it's in front of your arm like that?:confused:
Not me. I carry strong side, pretty much "standard." I draw at Interlake Sporting Association in Kirkland. It's a non-profit range that allows drawing. Wade's in Bellevue also allows drawing but only if you're a member.

amlevin

Not me. I carry strong side, pretty much "standard." I draw at Interlake Sporting Association in Kirkland. It's a non-profit range that allows drawing. Wade's in Bellevue also allows drawing but only if you're a member.

Doesn't ISA require membership to shoot there or do you only shoot in "Open Gate" days?

BTW, it's now in Redmond due to annexation which will more likely than not cause the range to have to close. Too bad. I've shot there and it's a nice location.

Last edited:

Son_of_Perdition

Metalhead47 said... WTF to that! Seems to me that defending against a gun grab from IN FRONT would be much easier than defending from behind."

True that. It is easy to pull someone's gun when they carry strong side. As a matter of fact, it is as easy as drawing the gun as if you were carrying it. But you have to get kinda friendly with the person.
First for the disclaimer. I in no way advocate this technique to be executed with the use of real firearms. The description to follow was performed by professionals. For your safety and the safety of others, the description is for informational value only and not to be attempted. I offer it to educate the non-believers. I have executed this as well as had it used against me with great success.

Position yourself behind your target. If he is walking. Match his gate but with a faster pace as to intercept him quickly. Assuming that the gun is carried on your target's right side. Bring your left hand up to your chest as if you were saying the Pledge of Allegiance with that hand. Your going to slam into him from behind as if spooning. At the point of contact time your right foot to land behind his right foot as if his and your next step is with the left. This is the same if your target is just standing. At the point of contact your whole body slams into your target and you simultaneously bring your right hand up under his right arm as if you were going to shake hands with the gun. Your left foot comes up and you kick his left foot as if it was a soccer ball. Not only will his right arm be on the up swing away from his gun when he is stepping with his left. Kicking his left foot brings his center of gravity forward automatically causing him to raise his arms to brace for a fall. Your left hand is up on the center of his back to push him away from you as you snap his gun up. An understanding of various holsters makes this as easy as if the holster was on your own belt. Just forward a bit.

If I were to suggest, though I am not, is to use your wife or girlfriend or both to practice this. You can see how it gets quite intimate.

Metalhead47

Metalhead47 said... WTF to that! Seems to me that defending against a gun grab from IN FRONT would be much easier than defending from behind."

True that. It is easy to pull someone's gun when they carry strong side. As a matter of fact, it is as easy as drawing the gun as if you were carrying it. But you have to get kinda friendly with the person.
First for the disclaimer. I in no way advocate this technique to be executed with the use of real firearms. The description to follow was performed by professionals. For your safety and the safety of others, the description is for informational value only and not to be attempted. I offer it to educate the non-believers. I have executed this as well as had it used against me with great success.

Position yourself behind your target. If he is walking. Match his gate but with a faster pace as to intercept him quickly. Assuming that the gun is carried on your target's right side. Bring your left hand up to your chest as if you were saying the Pledge of Allegiance with that hand. Your going to slam into him from behind as if spooning. At the point of contact time your right foot to land behind his right foot as if his and your next step is with the left. This is the same if your target is just standing. At the point of contact your whole body slams into your target and you simultaneously bring your right hand up under his right arm as if you were going to shake hands with the gun. Your left foot comes up and you kick his left foot as if it was a soccer ball. Not only will his right arm be on the up swing away from his gun when he is stepping with his left. Kicking his left foot brings his center of gravity forward automatically causing him to raise his arms to brace for a fall. Your left hand is up on the center of his back to push him away from you as you snap his gun up. An understanding of various holsters makes this as easy as if the holster was on your own belt. Just forward a bit.

If I were to suggest, though I am not, is to use your wife or girlfriend or both to practice this. You can see how it gets quite intimate.

Interesting info. After the Seattle Center this weekend, I'm thinking of schlepping down to BladeTech sometime this month for an adjustable holster & give the crossdraw thing a try. This was my first time OCing in a big crowd, and man was I uncomfortable (I don't like big crowds in the first place. Farkin people with tunnel vision :banghead:). And after the "pisser paranoia" thread a few weeks ago, that was even worse.

DoomGoober

Doesn't ISA require membership to shoot there or do you only shoot in "Open Gate" days?

BTW, it's now in Redmond due to annexation which will more likely than not cause the range to have to close. Too bad. I've shot there and it's a nice location.

Sorry for the off topic: ISA requires membership because there are no paid range masters and so members are the range masters. It's pretty darn cheap though you have to go through a free training to become a member. As to Redmond, the president of ISA worked with Redmond and helped them re-write the law to allow the range to operate into the future.

Hammer

My living rooom
My gun room
You don't have to live fire to practice your draw.
You DO need to make sure your weapon is UNloaded. I have a laser so I can dry fire 1 with each draw.
No range required.
Practice with any holster combination makes you proficient. The range where I am a member does not allow any holster work. Does anyone have this problem too? Where do you go to practice on your holster proficiency?

-Whitney