• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women, Stop Watching Oprah and Learn to Love Guns

Bill Starks

State Researcher
by: Karen DeCoster
http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster151.html

<snip>
Women never cease to amaze me. The majority of them are still "afraid" of guns. Afraid, as in "oohhhh, they are so scary." They say things like "I don’t like them around" and "they’re dangerous." I know of women who have defense-minded, pro-gun husbands and they will not let their guy talk about those nasty things in their presence. Shhh, the children will hear, or, they might actually see an evil gun! Keep them locked away. Don’t tell the neighbors you have a gun in our house, or we’ll be outcasts. And in the background you can almost hear another feeble Oprah sermon keeping women stupid, but oh, they feel good about themselves and their newfound self-esteem.

Ruby

by: Karen DeCoster
http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster151.html

<snip>
Women never cease to amaze me. The majority of them are still "afraid" of guns. Afraid, as in "oohhhh, they are so scary." They say things like "I don’t like them around" and "they’re dangerous." I know of women who have defense-minded, pro-gun husbands and they will not let their guy talk about those nasty things in their presence. Shhh, the children will hear, or, they might actually see an evil gun! Keep them locked away. Don’t tell the neighbors you have a gun in our house, or we’ll be outcasts. And in the background you can almost hear another feeble Oprah sermon keeping women stupid, but oh, they feel good about themselves and their newfound self-esteem.

Precisely why I DO talk to women about guns and self defense. Took the laundry to the laundromat to dry (dryer isn't working). When I went back to pick it up, I got into a conversation with a lady there about being aware of her surroundings since she said she didn't normally use that laundromat. I am always very aware when I am there, especially after dark. I told her I carry a gun for self defense and that I had a CPL. She surprised me and said she did also and has a .380 but doesn't carry. We had a very nice conversation about guns and self defense. She said she hadn't shot her gun in years so I gave her my phone number and said I would be happy to go to Champion Arms with her some time to shoot. She has shot her gun before, but not for a long time. So hopefully I will hear from her, we will go to the range, and she will begin to take her personal protection more seriously. I LOVE doing this. If me talking to a woman makes her think, makes her more aware of her surroundings, makes her want to protect herself and be one less rape or murder victim, then I am happy. Some I probably never will know if they did anything for self protection. This lady seemed serious so I hope she will call. I am no expert, but I do know enough to take a woman to the range, teach her about gun safety and get her started on the basics. I also encouraged her to read Dave Workman's book and know Washington state gun laws. I was CC at the time, I had been cutting grass and washing the car today. I carry almost 100% of the time, mostly CC, but I am slowly trying to OC more. I will be OC Saturday.

Johnny W

Good article

I just loved this quote:

"Women tend to take a white-picket-fence-and-rose view of the world more often than they should. They think that the world is made of gingerbread houses and buckets of goodwill just waiting to be poured upon them. They believe that when evil takes place, it happens anywhere but in their own backyard. It happens on the evening news, but not to them."

It doesn't only apply to women, of course, but a woman who is very dear to me has this exact attitude, as though thinking good thoughts and ignoring the possibility of bad things will keep them away.

Jack House

It doesn't only apply to women, of course, but a woman who is very dear to me has this exact attitude, as though thinking good thoughts and ignoring the possibility of bad things will keep them away.
My mother is like that, it's very annoying. -_-

Rasher

I told my wife right from the get-go about my guns and hunting, and that if she had a problem with those things it was a deal breaker 100%, she had never shot a gun before meeting me-we dated for 2 yrs and now married for 21-she has her own 2 long guns a pistol w/her cpl and bow/arrow. And loves to go send some lead or carbon down range- always says how fun and relaxing it is.

chiefjason

This makes me appreciate my wife even more. We are waiting on her CCP, no I can't get her to OC. The Rem 870 12 ga is on her side of the bed. She wanted it for Christmas. Then she wanted a XD 9mm SC after the shotgun. She said she wanted a real handgun. I guess the .380 was not enough. She recently mentioned that we might need a long gun. hehe I love my wife!

XD40coyote

I've helped out 2 women who had already decided to arm themselves, and also one gay black man. The gay man had his straight buddy with him ( old friend of mine). I believe my instruction to "Vaughn" the gay guy was much better than the macho junk the old friend of mine, "Jay" was trying to push. Vaughn was not liking the recoil of the gun he inherited from his now passed dad ( his dad used to OC in his house all the time btw- he was an old guy who valued his freedom- who knows what he experienced during Jim Crow/segregation). Jay thought the recoil and grip was no issue. Jay also wasn't showing Vaughn proper grip and a few other basics. So I taught them. I let Vaughn try my XD9 sc- and he got used to the recoil real fast, and liked the pinky extender on the 10 rd mags. Plus he was making nice hits. He said he wanted to buy one now LOL. The other gun he inherited was a .44 special lightweight revolver- both of us HATED it- freakin hand cannon. Of course Jay was enjoying it.

I bring this up since I think that alot of women in gun households actually want to learn to shoot, but their macho hubbies want to be the ones to teach them. If Mr Macho starts her out on a .380 double action pocket gun and a 12 ga with slugs, she may be really turned off. I think a .22 is good to start, then a .38 or 9mm that has a standard frame and barrel length. Shotguns- start with birdshot. Rifles- .22's. Don't hand her an AR clone in .308 or an M1 or 8mm Mauser for her first time.

As to those "other" women, the ones who are Oprahficated, I can't really advise what to do. Have you seen the South Park episode with Oprah's private parts talking and even holding her hostage with a gun. LOL