• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw an OC'er today- sorta

chiefjason

Stopped in the Wilco Hess truck stop on Hwy 74 just between Monroe and 485. I walked in and there was a guy at the counter buying a drink and other stuff. I noticed he had a bunch of stuff on his belt so I checked a little closer. From back to front, a clip with driving gloves, flashlight in a pouch and probably keys in there somewhere, an empty generic holster, and 2 speed loader cases. It was a black male, around 6' or so, 220-250 lbs, business casual dress.

My initial though was LEO. But the missing gun tells me that's not right. I figure the guy had a jacket on earlier and did not want to wear the jacket into the store. He either did not know OC was legal or did not want to bother with it.

I was looking for a way to strike up a conversation with him without going straight to "Hey, where's your gun?" Before I had a chance to talk to the guy the cashier asked for my card. I went out to fuel my truck and I guess the guy left on the car side. When I came back in I asked the cashier if she knew who he was. Figured I might get an answer if he was a regular. She had not idea who I was talking about. When I described him and mentioned the holster the guy beside me about bugged out. lol That's the main reason I did not just start a conversation right there at the counter. Figured it might freak the cashier or someone else out. Likely would have caught him off guard too.

Just a little interesting observation from work today. Wasn't any of you was it?

elixin77

What, are we on a safari hunt to find other OC'ers now? :banana:

If he was wearing a jacket, he was probably worried about the jacket accidentally covering his sidearm. It's sometimes easier just to be cold than wear a jacket if you dont have a CHP.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for other OCers. Heck, I'm always on the lookout for CCers too (most of them in these parts are pretty easy to spot...).

Unicorn Hunting. It's not just a hobby--it's a way of life...

chiefjason

If he was wearing a jacket, he was probably worried about the jacket accidentally covering his sidearm. It's sometimes easier just to be cold than wear a jacket if you dont have a CHP.

If he was OC'ing intentionally that would make sense. But I think the guy was CC'ing under a jacket and did not want to or know he could OC. That's a complete guess on my part.

I'm always on the lookout. Not hard enough to make many CC'ers. With the wife and kids I'm busy watching other things.

I don't think it was anyone on here. Just ribbing you.

I'm actually more annoyed that he thought he had to disarm. I would have rather seen him carrying. Seems to me that advertising that you are likely now unarmed is not a good idea. But his SA was a bit lacking, so I guess he felt comfortable doing it. Each his own I guess.

Someone on another board mentioned that I should have checked the restroom for the handgun. lol Next time.

Last edited:

rotorhead

He might have assumed that the business had stickers up, or thought maybe he saw them while driving up. Hard to tell really.

Smith45acp

In the past decade I may have seen a total of 5 or 6 others carrying.

Of course this doesn't include meetups etc.

A lot more people just feel more comfortable CC'ing. And sometimes I'm one of them.

muccione

A few weeks ago I went to Kmart in Conover. Ocing my SA XD40sc with my 2 kids with me. When we got out of the truck the couple in front of us the man was also OCing. This was the first time I have seen someone else OC. Well he had a full size on his right hip 2 spare mags on his left hip and.... in the middle of his waist... hand cuffs.. only one cuff showing the other was inside his pants... He never saw me.. My son ask if he was a cop and I told him that I HIGHLY doubt it... Off duty cops CC and dont stick cuffs in there pants like that... Just some Hispanic wannabe looking like a cop... I didn't talk to him cuz I just wasn't liking the vibe he gave off..

Im sure I will someday bump into chiefjason seeing we live near each other..