• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greyhound bus trip. Help needed

open4years

The last time that I was on a Greyhound bus was many decades ago. I've checked their web site and they don't "allow" firearms. I intend to carry, but I will carry concealed. After all, a passenger was be-headed on a Greyhound, so it is obvious that Greyhound won't provide security.

What I need to know, is what is their "check-in" process. Are there metal detectors that you have to pass through? Is there security and/or law enforcement around?

I have a Georgia permit and even though the trip is 11 hours, the bus doesn't leave Georgia. I'm traveling alone, for a doctor's appointment and I'll have to spend one night in a motel. After the appointment, I'll have a 8 hour wait at that city's Greyhound station. I remember enough to know that a "station" can be a park bench.

I see not carrying too risky, yet carrying can be risky - if caught. Your suggestions?

lockman

State Researcher
You got the GA permit, you tell me. Is it against the law? If not, no harm no foul. Make sure your rig and attire will not allow disclosure of your dirty secret. I have never seen metal detectors for bus travel but there is always a first.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I've never seen any metal detectors, though it has been years since I traveled on a bus. I think you should do some recon and see for yourself. There are no "sterile" areas that I'm aware of such as in airports. You should be fine if you are discrete.

open4years

From what I've learned so far, as long as you only have carry-on luggage, you can board the bus directly, with no baggage or other checks. Greyhound does allow guns carried, to their specifications, in checked baggage. But no guns on the bus, even after a be-heading one year ago on one of their buses! The idiot was swinging both the head and his knife, at anyone who approached him.

I do recall that a law was passed allowing those who are licensed, to carry on public transportation. But, what is public? Not Greyhound.

I may have to down-size a bit - for comfort. I've carried for so many years (decades) that I'm not about to leave it at home, for what I perceive as a higher risk trip than normal. Especially the 8 hour wait at a bus station that I haven't seen. I have seen Atlanta's and is isn't in the ideal location.

The recon sounds like a worthy cause. Our Greyhound station is in the worst part of town, as are many, it seems.

open4years

You got the GA permit, you tell me. Is it against the law? If not, no harm no foul. Make sure your rig and attire will not allow disclosure of your dirty secret. I have never seen metal detectors for bus travel but there is always a first.

As I understand the law, yes I believe it might be illegal to carry. Greyhound is not public transportation. They have made it known (via the net) that they want no guns IN the bus. But, unless they have very visible "No guns allowed" signs, it could be argued they didn't properly notify all passengers of their policy.

What concerns me is the security measures at other points. I intend to wear the gun, so I worry about metal detectors in Atlanta, where I'll have to transfer to a non-greyhound bus. It would be a very difficult situation if I had to leave my gun somewhere, with someone! I doubt I would seperate from my gun!

KBCraig

There are no security checks or searches. If you carry concealed, you're breaking their rules, but not any laws (with the possible exception of trespass; I don't know your state laws in that regard).

But, if you have a gun in your checked baggage, you are required by federal law to notify them (since they are a common carrier), which would obviously be a no-go.

flagellum

I know in my state it would not be a crime, but I also know certain states allow private companies to enforce anti-gun law. Even so, if you conceal well it really is a non-issue, as far as I am concerned. I would worry more about metal dectors than anything else.

Johnny W

Probably legal but check the laws

Greyhound doesn't use metal detectors or any kind of searches on any bus I've seen, including those through the nation's capital. Last time I took a Greyhound was maybe 2 years ago, to DC and back. If you're careful I doubt anyone would find out you have a gun. The legality of doing so I won't comment on, since I know very little about Georgia law and whether this would count under Georgia law or Federal law.

http://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandtravel/baggageinformation.aspx

Please note that Greyhound still prohibits "firearms of all types" from checked baggage, as well as ammunition.

They say "If you have any questions about what specific items are allowed on board (as carry-on or checked), please check our Prohibited Items List. Some items we allow on the list may be considered illegal on board public transportation in certain states. Greyhound will follow local law in these cases."

Link to Prohibited Items List http://www.greyhound.com/en/docs/greyhound_prohibited_items_list.pdf

Knives and guns are on the list, much like flying on an airplane. Even metal forks and scissors are disallowed. Still, that seems to be a national policy and Greyhound seems to say they'll follow local law. Most likely, if they find out you're carrying a gun in compliance with local laws, they'll kick you off the bus and possibly bar you from traveling via Greyhound again, but nothing else. I wouldn't want to test it, however.

gordongmiller

I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV, but understand that if you are caught it is a weapons violation and may end up costing you your GA CCW permit. That said, I prefer my Glock 42 for just such times when 6+1 of .380 in a 16oz package is just what the doctor ordered to get things done in deep concealment situations. It's no Kimber CDP Ultra II .45 ACP but then again it isn't 27oz either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk