Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Congressional Reform Act of 2010

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185

    Congressional Reform Act of 2010

    How do you fix Congress? Pass the "Congressional Reform Act of 2010."


    It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

    I know many of you will say "this is impossible." Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval rating of any entity in Government. Now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.

    We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.

    **********************************

    Congressional Reform Act of 2010

    1. Term Limits.
    12 years only, one of the possible options below..

    A. Two Six-year Senate terms
    B. Six Two-year House terms
    C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms


    2. No Tenure / No Pension.

    A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

    3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.


    4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

    5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

    6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

    7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

    8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/11.

    The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

    Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

    If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just ignore.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    1. I believe this has already been ruled unconstitutional. However, I favor a constitutional amendment establishing term limits. I prefer 6 in the House, 12 in the Senate as independent limits.

    2. Tenure? I am not aware of this concept as it applies to Congress. As far as a pension goes, they should be transitioned into the civil service retirement system.

    3. Congress should pay all the same taxes we do--including Social Security. If they do that, I don't care a whit whether they collect SS or not.

    4. See #2.

    5. Congress would just legislate a change in how the CPI is calculated. I suggest linking congressional pay raises to military and civil service pay raises and require a supermajority to pass such raises. Of course, that would require a constitutional amendment.

    6. Congress should be offered the same health care options that civil service is--or possibly the military! Yeah, make them participate in Tri-Care. With no priority.

    7. This one would be really hard to do with a blanket law/amendment. What does "subject to the same" mean? I like the concept. I just don't see how implementation would work.

    8. What contracts are you talking about???

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    How do you fix Congress? Pass the "Congressional Reform Act of 2010."


    It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

    I know many of you will say "this is impossible." Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval rating of any entity in Government. Now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.

    We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.

    **********************************

    Congressional Reform Act of 2010

    1. Term Limits.
    12 years only, one of the possible options below..

    A. Two Six-year Senate terms
    B. Six Two-year House terms
    C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms


    2. No Tenure / No Pension.

    A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

    3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.


    4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

    5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

    6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

    7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

    8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/11.

    The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

    Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

    If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just ignore.
    I agree.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    204

    Cool

    This is their source of income, power, and influence. Its like telling a doctor to limit the patient load to five a day, increase time spent with patients to a full hour, charge less, and give their service free for every five patients seen.

    Not gonna happen. (Although I am hoping it will).

  5. #5
    Regular Member 5o56x45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    51

    Repeal Of The Seventeenth Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    1. I believe this has already been ruled unconstitutional. However, I favor a constitutional amendment establishing term limits. I prefer 6 in the House, 12 in the Senate as independent limits.
    I think that I might be in favor of repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment. The governor would appoint the senators. This would prevent them from being bought by special interest. If the people are angry about a certian Senator they can give the governor hell and he would have the power to replace that senator on the spot. We wouldn't have to wait until the next election.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    The seventeenth was just one more step in trying to eliminate the Republic and replace it with a democracy. (Getting rid of the electoral college would be another.)

    I'd like to see a return to Senators representing the States rather than the People. Representing the People is the function of the House.

    We need to stop teaching in the schools that we are a democracy and get back to teaching that we are a Republic with Sovereign States who have ceded some specific and limited powers to a federal government.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by 5o56x45 View Post
    I think that I might be in favor of repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment. The governor would appoint the senators. This would prevent them from being bought by special interest. If the people are angry about a certian Senator they can give the governor hell and he would have the power to replace that senator on the spot. We wouldn't have to wait until the next election.
    um the state legislature decided the senators to represent the state, not the governor. Appointing 2 senators is too much power for one governor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •