• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you respond if confronted?

Curmudgeon

LOL... you guys keep posting and giving him good information, but his profile shows he hasn't been back to this forum since 3:56pm on the day he posted the question.

Although I find that humorous, it's also a bit of a shame. I think it was a good question, and I like the responses.

Oh well... :eek:

And, yes... I understand he *could* be reading the responses without logging in. Why do people do that?

eye95

Also...

When we answer someone's questions or respond to another in a debate, others read our replies. I bear that in mind whenever I reply in a thread. My posts are as much directed at those others as to the person to whom I am immediately responding.

So, even if the person whose question I answered never reads the answer, I have no regrets about taking the time to answer.

sultan62

When we answer someone's questions or respond to another in a debate, others read our replies. I bear that in mind whenever I reply in a thread. My posts are as much directed at those others as to the person to whom I am immediately responding.

So, even if the person whose question I answered never reads the answer, I have no regrets about taking the time to answer.

+1

Kirbinator

To elaborate, not that it really needs it, OC in Jefferson County, AL is mostly hassle free. The problem being that the times you get hassled it is by police who are trying to see how far they can push and how hard we will push back. The biggest problem seems to be the officers who say "Oh, we know OC is legal, but..." and then go on to assert we are being Disorderly, or Disturbing the Peace, or that we are Trespassing.

Like eye said, there won't be a resolution to this issue without court decisions.

I'm inclined to believe that next time the best solution may be to offer up the 1955 AG opinion and immediately clam up.

I'm not a lawyer, and I want to see what magic crockery we're going to see come March... I want to know what they think is chargeable.

XLInfidel

Very true. It's been an informative thread for me. Thanks. I have a related question in speaking with an LEO. What would be the proper way respond if ever asked by an LEO to let them hold on to your firearm for their safety for the duration of the stop/encounter? Of course provided you haven't given them a legitimate reason for this question to be asked.

Trophimus

I am new to the forum, so my apologies if the post is 'taking coals to Newcastle'. The point of my post is to discuss further these issues that have been scribed already.

My friends and I are CCW carriers, and sometimes OC is the mode of the day. I wish I could open carry without fear of retribution by the police, but the various YouTube videos have got me 'skitish' about it. When VCDL meets, many of us carry openly for the event, and I feel more comfortable being in 'numbers' of like minded and behaving members. Yet, when a OC friend and I went to a public park area, I suggested he put his tactical vest on to cover the G19 he had since there might be 'a little ole lady' who spots the weapon and calls 911, creating a 'man with a gun' scenerio, populated by SWAT team members and media. I felt that would ruin our outing.

I guess I just need some OC's to talk about their own experiences-and I'll continue to read the many and lengthy posts here that look quite good--to help with this fear. I believe in OC..in fact that is why I joined VCDL and help to man our booth at gun shows while carrying openly. Also, I understand why police would want to 'investigate you', since OC is a renewal of an old concept in American society, and only in recent times have gun laws begun to liberate a bit. I don't see any gain with being confrontational with police, since many may be used to gun control attitudes and laws from the past. I guess I am still 'iffy' with the concept for me personally, but congratulate those who have the courage to buck the system for the sake of changing societal attitudes towards the second amendment.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

I beg to differ. I grew up in Newcastle, WY. 1 1/4 mile coal trains used to roll through Newcastle, WY several per day. Taking coals to Newcastle can be said to apply perfectly to Newcastle, WY.

Been there. Lived and worked out of Gillette in '69. It is still British.

:cuss:

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
From what I understand VA is pretty good and getting better with OC. Alabama, where I am, not so much.

Welcome.

Virginia is great with OC'ing. I am still in awe after doing this for the past 3 1/2 years how accepting and how much of a non-issue it really is. One would expect (I would have) that this area, which is very transient and may have only about a 20-25% native population, would have been very much against OC'ing but that is simply not the case at all. It is strange but somehow it seems as though when people come to Virginia they adopt Virginia ways as being the norm. Certainly not in everything because like a lot of the country, we are losing our heritage. But as it relates to carrying a firearm out in the open, or concealed, it is just accepted to be the way things are and have always been. This is not to say that there have been zero problems because there have been a few problems... but not very many. And not up here where you would think that of any place in the state, this would be where problems would arise.

I really can't explain it.

Oh, BTW... Welcome aboard to Trophimus. We're pleased to have you among us. I know nothing about the Newcastle area, but I do know that there have been a few problems in the past in the Roanoke area. You might want to search that out. Other than that, go for it and keep us informed.

Last edited:

eye95

On taking coals to Newcastle: (from Wikipedia)

Selling, carrying or taking coal(s) to Newcastle is an idiom of British origin describing a foolhardy or pointless action.[1] It refers to the fact that historically, the economy of Newcastle upon Tyne in north-eastern England was heavily dependent on the distribution and sale of coal—by the time the phrase was first recorded in 1538,[2][3] 15,000 tonnes of coal were being exported annually from the area[4]—and therefore any attempt to sell coal to Newcastle would be doomed to failure because of the economic principle of supply and demand.[1]

Timothy Dexter, an American entrepreneur, succeeded in defying the idiom in the eighteenth century. Renowned for his eccentricity and widely regarded as a buffoon, he was persuaded to sail a shipment of coal to Newcastle by rival merchants plotting to ruin him. However, he instead yielded a large profit after his cargo arrived during a miners' strike which had crippled local production.[5][6] More prosaically, the American National Coal Association asserted that the United States was able to profitably sell coal to Newcastle in the early 1990s,[7] and 70,000 tonnes of low-sulphur coal was imported by Alcan from Russia in 2004 for their local aluminium smelting plant. However, this was in the context of Newcastle's traditional coal industry having stagnated so much by the end of the twentieth century that the last exports from the area were six years prior to Alcan's venture.[8]

Gotta love the attempt to ruin Dexter that backfired!

"Tonnes"? Gotta love Brit spelling too.

OldCurlyWolf

Very true. It's been an informative thread for me. Thanks. I have a related question in speaking with an LEO. What would be the proper way respond if ever asked by an LEO to let them hold on to your firearm for their safety for the duration of the stop/encounter? Of course provided you haven't given them a legitimate reason for this question to be asked.

If you are legally carrying in OK & TX, CC only, you don't have a choice, it is at the discretion of the officer. I have had 3 encounters in TX and 1 in OK. Never been asked that question. Of course it may have had something to do with the 2 of those in TX being at traffic accidents, the other being a snatch and grab robbery and I was calm when the officer was talking to me.

:cool: