• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from wi to nj

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

This really sickens me but I wil be moving to nj soon and hear terrible things about the place, I called state police and asked some question to who'm they told me was the gun expert. I was told I could bring my guns without permit requirments, ofcourse no mag/clips that hold more then 15 rounds, ar ban, no hollow point ammo, so on. But everything I read points to the exact opposite, moreless don't get caught with a gun. (If I could move else where I would, but I can't so dont tell me too, im sick of people telling me not to come, I have to do what i have to do and don't need more people trying to convince me otherwise.) I have read a few articles where people were following laws and still got in trouble for it, just want some feed back from people who do live here on what really goes on. Also im not interested in buying guns there so don't give me crap about that either.

waapl01

Jersey

I lived in jersey the first 19 years of my life. then joined the navy in 75, still a jersey resident, clean record, took me 13 months to get a permit to purchase a handgun. I believe nj has zero reciprocity with any other state. Its even very hard for retired police officers to carry open or concealed.. U have to have a permit just to buy ammo. its a ridiculously tough state. When i go home there to visit i leave my guns at home in va. in va in and out of the store in 20-25 mins if u know what u want. Been collecting a few handguns since the obama admin is in regime. in va if u have a concealed carry permit u can buy as many handguns as u want, no ccp/ccw only 1 handgun every 30 days. good luck to u be smart and safe.

scarletwahoo

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but the best bet is to know your other rights. Keep the guns in your truck when traveling, hidden in your house, etc. Know the police cannot search your vehicle without probable cause and they cannot search your house without a warrant.

NJ is tough, even possession of a pellet gun warrants a mandatory 3 year jail sentence, no joke. (Google Ryan Narciso, graves act) It's worth talking to a lawyer if possible.

GWbiker

OP has my deepest sympathy.

I have two good reasons why I'll never visit New Jersey.

1). Crazy gun laws.
2). Crazy ex wife living there.

crisisweasel

Hide your guns, and get yourself a pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich, and work on coping strategies for gridlock, crowding, and noise is my advice. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who won't live in the NE Corridor and will have a nice place up in Sussex County or down in the Pine Barrens somewhere.

I actually kind of screwed myself over - my visceral disgust for the Garden State was so great that the only plan I made was leaving. Born there, finally got out when I was 26. Everyone says yankees don't get guns or people from the Northeast are just terrible, terrible when it comes to the Constitution.

I won't pretend that's the main reason I left, but it was sure one of the big ones on the checklist. The problem was, once I got out, I didn't know what to do with my life. The need to leave was so great I never considered that there was life afterward. I think I subconsciously assumed that everything beyond the Delaware was the Promised Land or something, where there'd be eternal bliss and that was it.

My advice is, seek out other enthusiasts through gun organizations and ranges but don't bring up guns and the fact that you own them or enjoy them with your neighbors or co-workers. Not everyone in NJ is anti-gun, but I found out long before I ever owned a gun (I refused to, in New Jersey) that civilian gun ownership is socially unacceptable in many circles -- you could be regarded as a psychopath, especially if you live in suburban developments. As I say, not everywhere is like this but I'd tread lightly.

A guy who worked for my company got in trouble for talking about his hunting rifles because it made people uncomfortable (because, you can't trust a man with a rifle! He might KEEL YOU!)

I know more than anyone that sometimes you just gotta live in New Jersey. Maybe you need a job badly, or maybe you have a kid there. I get it. But there are sacrifices, and tenacity is key.

But, eugh.

May God take pity upon you, and all the good people of the Garden State. On the other hand, if you can put up with living in New Jersey, probably you can put up with anything. It'll make you more of a man, that way. If you can avoid sobbing on the Parkway, that is.

hornett22

Poor guy!

This really sickens me but I wil be moving to nj soon and hear terrible things about the place, I called state police and asked some question to who'm they told me was the gun expert. I was told I could bring my guns without permit requirments, ofcourse no mag/clips that hold more then 15 rounds, ar ban, no hollow point ammo, so on. But everything I read points to the exact opposite, moreless don't get caught with a gun. (If I could move else where I would, but I can't so dont tell me too, im sick of people telling me not to come, I have to do what i have to do and don't need more people trying to convince me otherwise.) I have read a few articles where people were following laws and still got in trouble for it, just want some feed back from people who do live here on what really goes on. Also im not interested in buying guns there so don't give me crap about that either.

My the good Lord be with you!

Bubba Ron

Attitude is everything...

lol, thanks for the insight nj folks.

You seem to have set the ground rules in your original post "(If I could move else where I would, but I can't so dont tell me too, im sick of people telling me not to come, I have to do what i have to do and don't need more people trying to convince me otherwise.) I have read a few articles where people were following laws and still got in trouble for it, just want some feed back from people who do live here on what really goes on. Also im not interested in buying guns there so don't give me crap about that either. "

Attitude is everything, you'll do well in NJ with yours. I too was born in NJ, actually southern NJ, less than a month after my 18th birthday, while still in high school, I signed up with the Navy, 4 days after graduating high school I left NJ - that was in 1968 - and it was actually much better than it is today, but I still wanted out of there. You'll soon find out how "wonderful" NJ is, enjoy the taxes!!