Thread: Going on cross country hike. Help?

Question Going on cross country hike. Help?

Me and my fiance have been planning a cross country trip. We would be carrying a visible handgun for self defense since we are planning to travel on foot. Since we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble even though they will be openly carried. Any tips on which states we might need to avoid or in which states we would need to put the handgun in our backpacks? I would really appreciate the help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber0117 View Post
    Me and my fiance have been planning a cross country trip. We would be carrying a visible handgun for self defense since we are planning to travel on foot. Since we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble even though they will be openly carried. Any tips on which states we might need to avoid or in which states we would need to put the handgun in our backpacks? I would really appreciate the help.
    Laws vary greatly from State to State. OC is legal in Alabama. Don't get in your car unless you have a GA CC permit. Stay away from demonstrations.

At least two of those States flat outlaw OC: Florida and Texas.

In MS be sure you have a concealed carry permit if you want to OC. Its almost impossible to be completely safe and legal without a permit there.

Maps

Click on the maps up top.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Do your due dilligence and fully research the law (statute and case law) for each state you are going to walk through. Illinois looks to be your biggest problem.

I've never considered if FOPA would cover someone travelling by foot. Finding a way to comply with the storage requirement might be difficult.

stay safe.

Totally avoid Illinois while carrying any firearm and walking if you do not have a FOID card(Firearms Owners IDentity card). You have no way to meet the standards to be covered by the federal act that allows transportation from out of state owners through Illinois.

Several of the others, unless you have a CCL that they honor, the only way to be legal is unloaded and the pistol and ammo to be in separate locked containers.

All in all, at this time in history, NOT a very good idea.
    Last edited by OldCurlyWolf; 10-07-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Totally avoid Illinois while carrying any firearm and walking if you do not have a FOID card(Firearms Owners IDentity card). You have no way to mete the standards to be covered by the federal act that allows transportation from out of state owners through Illinois.

Several of the others, unless you have a CCL that they honor, the only way to be legal is unloaded and the pistol and ammo to be in separate locked containers.

All in all, at this time in history, NOT a very good idea.
    My understanding is that, even with a FOID, Illinois is a no-carry state. Some very close friends of mine live in Belleville and go to the range regularly. They have to secure the firearm to transport it from home to the range--and they have FOIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    My understanding is that, even with a FOID, Illinois is a no-carry state. Some very close friends of mine live in Belleville and go to the range regularly. They have to secure the firearm to transport it from home to the range--and they have FOIDs.
    There are some VERY LIMITED legal ways to carry in Illinois, all of which require the firearm to be unloaded, no magazines inserted, even empties. All of which require a FOID. Without one, hiking through, I do not see a legal way for anyone to carry a firearm.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Banned
    Can you list these limited legal ways? The hiker (and others) might want to know them.

Can you list these limited legal ways? The hiker (and others) might want to know them.
    Check out http://icarry.org/

There is a thing called container carry that is iffy, depending on which LEO you run into.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Check out http://icarry.org/

There is a thing called container carry that is iffy, depending on which LEO you run into.
    While that site is probably a wonderful resource, it doesn't really answer the question (without a lot of searching on the site).

Container "carry" would not really be carry, more like "transport." Carry implies the ability to draw and use the weapon when necessary.

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    While that site is probably a wonderful resource, it doesn't really answer the question (without a lot of searching on the site)
    YOU are going to need to spend alot of time researching what YOU want to know. I would not expect others to do all my dirty work for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Post
    YOU are going to need to spend alot of time researching what YOU want to know. I would not expect others to do all my dirty work for me.

The poster made a statement that there were options available. Asking him to elaborate is not asking him to do "my dirty work for me."

Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber0117 View Post
    ...we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble...
    Good grief, guys - the "dirty work" has long since been done. Please stop your hoarding of resources for someone who's obviouly a newbie and just wanting to do the right thing.

Just give him/her the freakin' link! Gah!

To the OP, here's the link:

Maps!!! Click on 'em - everything you need to know. They'll also reveal the OC/CC laws of each state.

To the rest of you, expecially the oldtimers: SHAME on you! You knew opencarry.org had maps galore, linked to the laws of all 50 states, yet you chose not to share that with our OP WHY?

Geez, fellows. Post a link. Clear the air and stop obfuscating the issue.

SHARE!!!
    Last edited by since9; 10-09-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

The poster made a statement that there were options available. Asking him to elaborate is not asking him to do "my dirty work for me."

Moving on.
    I elaborated as far as my knowledge went. TS