• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going on cross country hike. Help?

Amber0117

Me and my fiance have been planning a cross country trip. We would be carrying a visible handgun for self defense since we are planning to travel on foot. Since we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble even though they will be openly carried. Any tips on which states we might need to avoid or in which states we would need to put the handgun in our backpacks? I would really appreciate the help.

eye95

Me and my fiance have been planning a cross country trip. We would be carrying a visible handgun for self defense since we are planning to travel on foot. Since we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble even though they will be openly carried. Any tips on which states we might need to avoid or in which states we would need to put the handgun in our backpacks? I would really appreciate the help.

Laws vary greatly from State to State. OC is legal in Alabama. Don't get in your car unless you have a GA CC permit. Stay away from demonstrations.

At least two of those States flat outlaw OC: Florida and Texas.

Daylen

In MS be sure you have a concealed carry permit if you want to OC. Its almost impossible to be completely safe and legal without a permit there.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do your due dilligence and fully research the law (statute and case law) for each state you are going to walk through. Illinois looks to be your biggest problem.

I've never considered if FOPA would cover someone travelling by foot. Finding a way to comply with the storage requirement might be difficult.

stay safe.

OldCurlyWolf

Totally avoid Illinois while carrying any firearm and walking if you do not have a FOID card(Firearms Owners IDentity card). You have no way to meet the standards to be covered by the federal act that allows transportation from out of state owners through Illinois.

Several of the others, unless you have a CCL that they honor, the only way to be legal is unloaded and the pistol and ammo to be in separate locked containers.

All in all, at this time in history, NOT a very good idea.:cuss:

Last edited:

eye95

Totally avoid Illinois while carrying any firearm and walking if you do not have a FOID card(Firearms Owners IDentity card). You have no way to mete the standards to be covered by the federal act that allows transportation from out of state owners through Illinois.

Several of the others, unless you have a CCL that they honor, the only way to be legal is unloaded and the pistol and ammo to be in separate locked containers.

All in all, at this time in history, NOT a very good idea.:cuss:

My understanding is that, even with a FOID, Illinois is a no-carry state. Some very close friends of mine live in Belleville and go to the range regularly. They have to secure the firearm to transport it from home to the range--and they have FOIDs.

OldCurlyWolf

My understanding is that, even with a FOID, Illinois is a no-carry state. Some very close friends of mine live in Belleville and go to the range regularly. They have to secure the firearm to transport it from home to the range--and they have FOIDs.

There are some VERY LIMITED legal ways to carry in Illinois, all of which require the firearm to be unloaded, no magazines inserted, even empties. All of which require a FOID. Without one, hiking through, I do not see a legal way for anyone to carry a firearm.

eye95

Check out http://icarry.org/

There is a thing called container carry that is iffy, depending on which LEO you run into.:cuss:

While that site is probably a wonderful resource, it doesn't really answer the question (without a lot of searching on the site).

Container "carry" would not really be carry, more like "transport." Carry implies the ability to draw and use the weapon when necessary.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

While that site is probably a wonderful resource, it doesn't really answer the question (without a lot of searching on the site)

YOU are going to need to spend alot of time researching what YOU want to know. I would not expect others to do all my dirty work for me.

eye95

YOU are going to need to spend alot of time researching what YOU want to know. I would not expect others to do all my dirty work for me.

:rolleyes:

The poster made a statement that there were options available. Asking him to elaborate is not asking him to do "my dirty work for me."

Moving on.

since9

Campaign Veteran
...we are going through quite a few states (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) I'm very worried that we could get in legal trouble...

Good grief, guys - the "dirty work" has long since been done. Please stop your hoarding of resources for someone who's obviouly a newbie and just wanting to do the right thing.

Just give him/her the freakin' link! Gah!

To the OP, here's the link:

Maps!!! Click on 'em - everything you need to know. They'll also reveal the OC/CC laws of each state.

To the rest of you, expecially the oldtimers: SHAME on you! You knew opencarry.org had maps galore, linked to the laws of all 50 states, yet you chose not to share that with our OP WHY?

Geez, fellows. Post a link. Clear the air and stop obfuscating the issue.

SHARE!!!

Last edited: