• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KOMO 4 news tonight! 9/30/2010

ainie

Good for you!

I sent this email to the sheriff's office... not that they will give a rat's butt:

Sheriff,

I have been following closely the Tom Brewster incident at the Spanaway Starbucks. I have heard the audio recording of nearly the entire incident. Your deputies’ actions were inexcusable. And then to go on public television and announce that you have the right to demand identification from law abiding citizens for no reason at all? If I was sitting in McDonald’s with my 14 year old step daughter would you detain me and force me to show identification and prove to you I was not a kidnapper? There is no difference, Sheriff. Sitting in McDonald’s with my step-daughter is every bit as legal as sitting in McDonald’s with my gun in a holster on my belt, both of which I do frequently and often simultaneously.

I find it abhorrent that you would allow your deputies to not only violate the provisions of the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Washington but to also publicaly condone their behavior!

I normally sign my correspondence with Respectfully or Very Respectfully… but sir, your office has lost all deservance of respect in my eyes, until you start abiding by the oath you took to honor the Constitutions of the US and the State of Washington.

John H.....
4520 J.......
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
360-720-....

dadada

Ed seems to have forgotten that we aren't prisoners of the state. It's still innocent until proven guilty, or even suspected of being guilty.

Deleted_User

I can NOT believe the sheriff's statement! How can he even compare us to Clemmons?!

Here's the difference:

We carry out in the open most, if not all, of the time. We could obviously care less who sees it. If and when some of us may carry concealed, we have a concealed pistol license. We do both LEGALLY and with the intent that we be able to defend ourselves.

Clemmons carried concealed without a concealed pistol license AND with criminal intent. He was already prohibited from even possessing firearms in the first place. He knew that. Thus the reason he carried the guns in concealment with malicious and criminal intent. He didn't want anyone to see that he was doing something he wasn't supposed to, he was a known felon. What he did STILL makes me absolutely sick.

There's no friggin comparison!

+1 but using Clemmons gives the LEA reason to cause public alarm for us to OC and more reason for them to come out and DEMAND ID to ensure we're not him. It's a sad state of affairs and a horrid road we're going down

tombrewster421

It would have been nice if they showed more than one sentence of what I said. I did explain to them WHY we have rights. They showed my butt more than what I had to say!

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Aaaaargh!

They didn't even mention the recording and no perception of privacy. What the shizzle! They probably want the public to think that's illegal too.

Deleted_User

Welcome to the Police State of Washington

May I see your ID to post please? Also, surrender any Red Bull you have.

I'm bringing my video camera Saturday

Last edited:

tombrewster421

I guess we've got to put the recording on YouTube. Try and shut that up. We'll do our own news report and cite all the actual laws so people can actually find out their rights. The media certainly won't tell them.

cougfan

Hey just saw it on the 11 O'clock news, channel 7. It sure was a bit short and mentioned neither the recording nor the fact that they coerced and threatened Tom to get him to hand over his papers for several minutes. But I am hoping this leads into a better longer story. The small bit they showed wasn't biased and did offer brief comments from both and if all goes well they will feature something longer after they get some great video of our meetup on Saturday. Hopefully then they mention that he was browbeat for quite a while with no reasonable suspicion of him doing anything wrong. Cops need to be trained that carrying a gun is not a reason to harass someone, just as they are slowly learning that neither is having dark skin.

joejoejoe

I think you did great Tom. I am appalled that the spokesperson said that you were not being violated. It was clear that four officers saying "we won't leave until we get your ID, but we are not detaining you" is pretty much a huge violation.

Joe~

5o56x45

I guess we've got to put the recording on YouTube. Try and shut that up. We'll do our own news report and cite all the actual laws so people can actually find out their rights. The media certainly won't tell them.

Actually yeah, it should definatly be put on youtube.

sempercarry

Anybody notice that the gun the showed for the in studio leed up was a Glock 18....any way...Good job on the interview Tom. I wish I could be there on Saturday.

slickmist

I wish I could be there saterday, but I'll be in Vegas this weekend. Looking forward to seeing video or pictures.

fire suppressor

First of all I would like to thank tombrewster421 for making the news story possible! The more people we can reach and inform of the law the better off both sides will be.
Secondly I have never been more insulted personally than I was to hear a spokesman for sheriff's office compare every one who chooses to lawfully and peacefully open carry to Clemmons! I say HOW DARE THEY! If I walk into a coffee shop with my gun on my hip am I to understand I am automatically going to be labeled as a cop killer!? That is harassment, intimidation, abuse to both me personally and a abuse of power, not to mention stereotyping. Its also a text book example of quid pro quo witch is one of the four recognized different types of harassment. You give me your I.D now and I wont get you in trouble with the law. All I can say that spokesman sure has some brass balls to be able to say that while looking into a camera. I feel another less that thrilled email heading there way.
Thirdly I don't mean to be getting to personal, please excuse me if I am but I am curious tombrewster421 have you had any other contact with the sheriff's department over this incident?
Lastly thanks to everyone who posted a link to the story. I work nights and its difficult for me to watch the news at night

Dave Workman

Its okay everyone. Kirotv had it on earlier in the day. :banana:

Dont worry about Liberal4News. If you can show police are in the wrong and that a gun advocate is in the right, they won't show it. It would go against their liberal beliefs.

I haven't had that experience with KOMO and I deal with the press a lot.

Kryteon

Troyer is mistaken

http://www.kirotv.com/news/25233137/detail.html

No, he was not being uncooperative. He has a God given right not to talk to you!

Uncooperative? Maybe Rosa Parks should have been more cooperative and just given up her seat on the bus.
Clemens? If the coffee shop was full of OC'ers, there would be fewer dead cops.
Asking questions? The cops have the right to ask any question they want. American Citizens have the right to be silent.

Everyone better be on their absolute best behaviour Saturday. One tiny mistep will be all over the air waves.

jt59

Uncooperative? Maybe Rosa Parks should have been more cooperative and just given up her seat on the bus.
Clemens? If the coffee shop was full of OC'ers, there would be fewer dead cops.
Asking questions? The cops have the right to ask any question they want. American Citizens have the right to be silent.

Everyone better be on their absolute best behaviour Saturday. One tiny mistep will be all over the air waves.

Indeed, PCSD has publicly stated their position....I would expect that we should all expect to be "ID" on Saturday and checked to see if we are "felons", if it is their position as stated....and a challenge put forward on interview about why is this different (especially if they don't follow the same procedure).

In the subsequent follow up news story, if Tom would consider it, the transcript/recording should be released....especially the part about:

"I don't know you and you have a gun"...and ID checking for felony.....just because.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the FOIA requests...remember this is a 4th A issue

Last edited:

tombrewster421

fire suppressor; please excuse me if I am but I am curious tombrewster421 have you had any other contact with the sheriff's department over this incident? Lastly thanks to everyone who posted a link to the story. I work nights and its difficult for me to watch the news at night[/QUOTE said:
I saw the same guy there on Thursday and he didn't talk to me. Apparently Tomas went and certainly did not recieve the same treatment. The lawyer Olypendrew is setting up an appt to speak with the sheriff's attorney.

tombrewster421

Hopefully the dumba$$ comments made public by the Sheriff's department spokesman will add fuel to your case against them. They basically made public their policy of harassment.

Yes, and the recording will be made public as well. If Tomas will be there on Saturday maybe he can share with the news how inconsistent his treatment was in comparison to mine. I have encountered many many officers from other jurisdictions in other Starbucks stores and never once had a negative comment. It makes me ashamed to live in pierce county and to have voted for the sheriff currently in office.