Thread: Salinas PD Contact at Wal-Mart

Salinas PD Contact at Wal-Mart

I was just contacted inside the Wal-Mart at the corner of San Juan Grade and Boronda in Salinas. It is, at the front doors, 400 yards away from McKinnon Elementary School. When I walked in I noticed him and he looked at me and nodded his head in acknowledgement. I had to cross his path to get past, so I stopped to shake his hand.

He saw the weapon and didn't even flinch. I had a short conversation with him, during which, no e-check was made.

I will be meeting him at tomorrow at Starbucks, where he is bringing the paperwork for a ride-a-long. I will be unarmed for said ride-a-long, but for this meeting, it doesn't seem as though going armed will be a problem. I will make every attempt to get photos for you guys.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Well....that doesn't count! He was already there!

And he didn't have a helocopter

lol how was the PD contacted or you contacted by the PD if you just saw him and walked up to him? haha but good encounter. Ride alongs are fun, its part of my paid training so I enjoy them. Enjoy!

Purpose

I guess the purpose of this post was to alert you to what essentially was a good consensual encounter with the police. Having been an officer myself, I understand how disconcerting it can be to have someone walk up on you with a weapon, regardless of what you believe your abilities are. He was polite, professional and engaging.

I have some short and long term goals in my return to Law Enforcement, and hopefully this is a mechanism that's able to help me.

Yes, ridealongs are fun...I even gave a few when I was active.

Starbucks

Well, ran into a Monterey County Sheriff's Deputy this AM at Starbucks. Smiled, nodded, got coffee. No incident. Went about the rest of the day.