• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to shoot a Dog in Michigan?

TheQ

For those who want to make inane comments here is a little on Coyote attacks on "children" and many of these attacks are not reported by wildlife officials in fear we might start killing Coyotes.

Not to mention domestic animals like pets who are frequently attacked by Coyotes now.
The natural fear of Coyotes to humans is gone for the most part, and in States like California Coyotes and even Mountain lions prey on children, and adults.

http://varmintal.com/attac.htm

Note the disease below is from a child attacked.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NEW+COYOTE+DANGER;+ANIMAL+DISEASE+COULD+BE+THREAT+TO+HUMANS-a083622843

Even Liberal Chicago is worried about a Coyote problem.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/02/coyote-danger-focus-of-wheaton-meeting.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/30/coyote-attacks-3-year-old_n_630451.html

So yes I am thinking about the children for legitimate reasons, not some liberal stupidity. Unlike you city folk up here where I live we don't run to the local unit of Government and cry about things, we just deal with them and hunters are reporting a sharp increase in Coyote challenging hunters, and it often turns out bad for the coyote. Fact is many hunters who live up here has a long standing distrust of government and do not and will not report any self defense shootings of prey animals like a Coyote. Not to mention out of season subsistence hunting where these attacks take place. Now adding in that the type of hunters we have up here that literally live off the food/game they take, do know the difference between wild/feral dogs and a coyote pack.

One must remember that Coyotes are scavengers and pack hunters which make them uniquely dangerous. They will raid your suburban trash can for a meal in a heartbeat, or grab you beloved fluffy. With the out of control growing numbers in every State other than Hawaii, we are seeing them everywhere in major cities and even down town Washington DC, new York and other heavily urbanized areas.

So much for the inane think about the children silliness.

Oh and contrary to the DNR Wolves have crossed the Mackinac straits and are now breeding in the Northern Lower Peninsula. The idiotic comments by the DNR wildlife biologists/liberal animal activists that Wolves can not cross the straits is met with howls of laughter by those who have during hard winters actually crossed ion snowmobiles, during bar runs. Granted this is not a typical winter but we have had many times a hard freeze over of the straits which brought ice breakers in to reopen them. Of course this is the same DNR who for decades claimed Wolverines were extinct in Michigan till it was proven that some still thrive in the Thumb area.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4374309/

Oh and we still have Mountain lions in Michigan. The DNR has denied this for decades.
Most are in the Northwest lower Peninsula of Michigan so far that have been seen. And no contrary to the DNR claims they were pets dumped, there's a long unbroken history of sightings by hunters in the Boyne Valley between Vanderbilt and Boyne City in the swamps.

So this about the children is a reality and children have been attacked by Coyotes, but CNN won't report these attacks.

Maybe lighten up a bit...I was mocking the antis who use the same phrase.

Bailenforcer

In Pigeon River and the entire area we see them almost daily now. Even working outdoors I keep my Benneli M-1 Tactical or M-4 with me because of them, wild dogs as well, and now the feral hogs.

Yes, when my grandson is out playing in the yard, grandpa and his XD is not far away. Coyotes are numerous and although wolves are rare, they are a concern. We also have the badger in quantity in my area and they are fast and furious.springerdave.

Bailenforcer

One of two things here are going on, and judged by your other nasty attacks on my posts I must assume you are doing the same, or you need to go back to school and learn what context means. Most people would assume as I did based on your previous attacks on my posts, that it is yet another, so in actuality you set the rules of engagement. So I have to deal with you as you have presented yourself, an adversary. Remember you set these rules, not I. SEE #2 below.

con·text [ kón tèkst ] (plural con·texts)

noun
Definition:

1. text surrounding word or passage: the words, phrases, or passages that come before and after a particular word or passage in a speech or piece of writing and help to explain its full meaning

2. surrounding conditions: the circumstances or events that form the environment within which something exists or takes place
The dispute needs to be viewed in its historical context.

3. e-commerce data transfer structure: a data structure used to transfer electronic data to and from a business management system

[15th century. < Latin contextus "connected" < contexere "weave together" < texere "weave"]

con·tex·tu·al [ kən tékschoo əl ] adjective
con·tex·tu·al·ly adverb

Maybe lighten up a bit...I was mocking the antis who use the same phrase.

Last edited:

TheQ

One of two things here are going on, and judged by your other nasty attacks on my posts I must assume you are doing the same, or you need to go back to school and learn what context means. Most people would assume as I did based on your previous attacks on my posts, that it is yet another, so in actuality you set the rules of engagement. So I have to deal with you as you have presented yourself, an adversary. Remember you set these rules, not I. SEE #2 below.

con·text [ kón tèkst ] (plural con·texts)

noun
Definition:

1. text surrounding word or passage: the words, phrases, or passages that come before and after a particular word or passage in a speech or piece of writing and help to explain its full meaning

2. surrounding conditions: the circumstances or events that form the environment within which something exists or takes place
The dispute needs to be viewed in its historical context.

3. e-commerce data transfer structure: a data structure used to transfer electronic data to and from a business management system

[15th century. < Latin contextus "connected" < contexere "weave together" < texere "weave"]

con·tex·tu·al [ kən tékschoo əl ] adjective
con·tex·tu·al·ly adverb

Thank you for the refresh of my vocabulary. Michigan Public school education isn't quite what it used to be. I'm not sure who I have to thank for the understanding of this word "context", though. My private school education or you.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
So I have to stop and check to make sure it has a tag and the tag is current before I shoot it?

Can I just rip the tag off after I shoot it:confused: ;)

No... Read this again.

"Except as provided in this section, it shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to kill or injure or attempt to kill or injure any dog which bears a license tag for the current year."

Got it? :)

lil_freak_66

The DNR did admit to wolves being in the lower penninsula,ive even seen tracks in southern presque isle county as well,very close to tomahawk lake.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-233936--,00.html

Thats not the earliest report they've confirmed either,they're confirming of wolves in the LP has went as far back as either 2006 or 2008

Mountain lions are confirmed in the U.P. again,even though theres many reports in the lower penninsula,especially the gladwin area.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403_46404-234000--,00.html

If i was in fear for my life,personally id shoot the dog,much rather risk jail time than risk being killed,regardless of how low the risk of jail time is,theres still always a possibility.
as people say, id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .

Last edited:

lapeer20m

The DNR did admit to wolves being in the lower penninsula,ive even seen tracks in southern presque isle county as well,very close to tomahawk lake.

Thats not the earliest report they've confirmed either,they're confirming of wolves in the LP has went as far back as either 2006 or 2008

If i was in fear for my life,personally id shoot the dog,much rather risk jail time than risk being killed.

seriously? Did you not read any of the previous posts?

there is nearly zero legal risk in shooting an attacking dog, the mcl is very clear about this.

Any person including a law enforcement officer may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, worrying, or wounding any livestock or poultry or attacking persons, and there shall be no liability on such person in damages or otherwise, for such killing

i don't understand how this can be misinterpreted.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
seriously? Did you not read any of the previous posts?

there is nearly zero legal risk in shooting an attacking dog, the mcl is very clear about this.

i don't understand how this can be misinterpreted.

In the law, are wolves considered dogs?

The maximum fine for killing a gray wolf under Michigan law is 90 days in jail, $1,000 in fines and $1,500 in restitution.
Poachers could receive a $50,000 fine and one year imprisonment under federal law.
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2010/01/rash_of_wolf_kills_in_upper_pe.html

lil_freak_66

no misinterpretation on my part,i was merely saying theres always a risk,i added some stuff to the post to hopefully make that more clear.

sprinklerguy28

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Inappropriate

I am ashamed that OCDO has let your racist comment and you stay on the forums this long. You are causing harm to all those who are working hard to promote our cause.

MODERATORS RESPONSE: I had class all weekend and did not see this post until now.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

In fact I fought the DNR over this back in the late 1990's and they in fact back then refused to admit this. It was not untill around 2004 when Woods and Water News published a scathing article on the DNR's misinformation campaign that forced the DNR to tacidly admit the possibility. I and others provided proof of this and the DNR to my face claimed we saw dogs. I was a regular visitor to the Gaylord field office over this issue. yes after years and years of official denial they were forced to admit they were actually wrong. Just like the Mountain Lion issue.

In fact where I live is on the edge of a great swamp area which I have seem wolves and so far one Mountain lion personally, the DNR now claims the Mountain lions sighting are of a released to the wild of former pets. This has been their new Position since photographs were provided as evidence. But we all know that they also claimed the Wolverine was extinct, untill they found them living in UBLY. The DNR today is a joke, it is filled with hard core animal rights idiots, unlike 30 and 50 years ago they were more often hunters staffing the DNR positions.

fact is both the wolves and Mountain Lion sightings in my area are only in or at the edge of the many swamps in the Boyne Valley between US 131 to I-75 near Vanderbilt. if you know this area it is a series of many swamp areas. Those of us who have trapped in there have seen many things other hunters would not see due to the inaccessability of the swamp and most people would not go.
They do exist here and the DNR still plays games when a report is given.

Mountain lions are confirmed in the U.P. again,even though theres many reports in the lower penninsula,especially the gladwin area.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403_46404-234000--,00.html

If i was in fear for my life,personally id shoot the dog,much rather risk jail time than risk being killed,regardless of how low the risk of jail time is,theres still always a possibility.
as people say, id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .

Last edited:

autosurgeon

You know a little thought prior to posting would alleviate many of your issues on the forums Stainless1911.

There are some things that just should not be posted here. Racial stereotypes is one of those things!!