• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Friendly Hotels in Anaheim, do they exist?

Funtimes

Greetings,

I will be traveling from Hawaii to spend a week in California. I contacted the Hilton where I was going to be staying, and to my displeasure, the security there informed that they do not allow any firearms on their property. I have been unable to locate information on this via the forum or Google search; only seems to come up with information on the Hyatt barring firearms.

Does anyone happen to know of any firearm friendly hotels in that area?

Last edited:

markm

Kailua-Kona or Kailua?

Greetings,

I will be traveling from Hawaii to spend a week in California. I contacted the Hilton where I was going to be staying, and to my displeasure, the security there informed that they do not allow any firearms on their property. I have been unable to locate information on this via the forum or Google search; only seems to come up with information on the Hyatt barring firearms.

Does anyone happen to know of any firearm friendly hotels in that area?

Hey Funtimes,

Why are you asking the hotel for pemission?

Put your unloaded gun in a locked travel bag and STFU.

Fiona and Harry have been to many, many, many hotels all across the country. They have been to Anahiem many times.

It is nobodies business what you have in a locked container that meets the requirements of CA law.

I have to go, otherwise I would cite the code section. Hopefully, somebody else will do it for me. Bye, and have a nice stay on the mainland!

markm

JJg22

Bingo!

Hey funtimes, I live here in orange county, only like 15 minutes from Anaheim and to be honest it is tough in this neck of the woods. I would do like mark said, as long as it is in a locked container who cares....they do not do bag searches or pat downs upon arrival.

Welcome to OC!

Funtimes

I think this might not get noticed in this topic, but I didn't want to create a new one and spam up the forums more.

I was wondering what resources people created for the maps. my current plan is to print out maps from google with schools around it and compass in the scaled distance to ensure I am complying with law.

Also just to make sure I have a full mental understanding (I also have the flyers, memos ect, but the understanding on the content is most important). I have not been able to find any municipal ordinances that would contradict me carrying in LA, we intend to go visit hollywood, and also in the Anaheim area.

-- Comply with E-checks, leave if asked to do so by a private business (or if posted), stay 1,000 ft away from schools, and obviously govt buildings ect.
-- 10 round magazines only? (since im flying in, that would be importing?),

-- carry a audio recording (do I need to announce the recording?, I have not located CA's wiretapping laws) will also carry hd video recorder, probably on my wife so she can record if any incidents with my person.

-- I do have some cash reserves for trouble (7k), as well as cards for CGF, NRA, SAF, and some other contacts in the Anaheim area. Also getting my locking container to comply with school zones and areas. Once the firearm is locked, in an enclosure, I can carry it in say a backpack, correct?

Last edited:

Funtimes

Bingo!

Hey funtimes, I live here in orange county, only like 15 minutes from Anaheim and to be honest it is tough in this neck of the woods. I would do like mark said, as long as it is in a locked container who cares....they do not do bag searches or pat downs upon arrival.

Welcome to OC!

Have there been alot of problems down your way? I will be at the hilton in the middle of october, seems that West of the hilton towards the Imax Gardenwalk, and down towards melrose abbey area west of the Santa Ana is pretty much all clear of schools.

It's hard to map this out, how do people do it lol?

chewy352

I think this might not get noticed in this topic, but I didn't want to create a new one and spam up the forums more.

I was wondering what resources people created for the maps. my current plan is to print out maps from google with schools around it and compass in the scaled distance to ensure I am complying with law.

Also just to make sure I have a full mental understanding (I also have the flyers, memos ect, but the understanding on the content is most important). I have not been able to find any municipal ordinances that would contradict me carrying in LA, we intend to go visit hollywood, and also in the Anaheim area.

It is highly recommended that you don't carry maps with the schools on it. The law has an ignorance clause. It states, "Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone." If you carry any kind of maps with you they have proof that you should have known all the schools as you had researched the process. I'm in the midst of doing some research myself and I can tell you this, San Diego County has about 93 charter schools and 240 private schools and I haven't even gotten to the public schools yet. As someone who has grown up in SoCal my whole life I still have trouble comprehending how to navigate around all those schools. Secondly, it is also thought that if you carry maps of schools and a firearm on you, some LEOs and DAs might think you were targeting schools for violence. Not something I'd want to get caught up in.

My suggestion is to bring your firearm and 10 round mags but go to an organized meet up instead.

Penal Code 626.9 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=626-626.11

Last edited:

Funtimes

Chewy - I don't plan on carrying the map. As you stated, carrying the map on my person would remove the defense aspect of the code, however, I would possibly have my wife carry one. I would feel like I was doing myself a dis-service by not at least looking at the data to get a picture of the ranges. Happy to be able to exercise my rights, as in Hawaii we have none; even to exercise my rights it and not go to jail for a miscalculation of distance my part lol.

I don't plan on parading all around town. At this time we are planning our schedule and determining what areas I would be able to go down and visit.

Last edited:

chewy352

Chewy - I don't plan on carrying the map. As you stated, carrying the map on my person would remove the defense aspect of the code, however, I would possibly have my wife carry one. I would feel like I was doing myself a dis-service by not at least looking at the data to get a picture of the ranges. Happy to be able to exercise my rights, as in Hawaii we have none; even to exercise my rights it and not go to jail for a miscalculation of distance my part lol.

I don't plan on parading all around town. At this time we are planning our schedule and determining what areas I would be able to go down and visit.

Well good luck and have fun. LAPD LOVES open carriers. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...eet-San-Pedro-Jan.-3rd/page10&highlight=Pedro

mjones

I have not been able to find any municipal ordinances that would contradict me carrying in LA, we intend to go visit hollywood, and also in the Anaheim area.

Incase you didn't know; Hollywood is still the city of Los Angeles. Think of it like New York City's Borough System - Except with LA City its probably close to 100 'city' names. To make matters worse, these 'cities' can even have their own special codes within the LA Muni Code.

However, generally speaking Firearms Law with regard to both Open and Concealed Carry are preempted by state law. i.e. 12025 specifically says that OC isn't CC

-- 10 round magazines only? (since im flying in, that would be importing?),

Correct. The most common exception to this is if you ever posessed a 'large capacity magazine' in CA prior to 1/1/00. You don't need to have ever lived here, merely posessed them within the borders of the state.

-- carry a audio recording (do I need to announce the recording?, I have not located CA's wiretapping laws) will also carry hd video recorder, probably on my wife so she can record if any incidents with my person.

In CA you only need to notify if there is an expectation of privacy. i.e. things like being on the telephone or in someone's private home. It is extremely clear that LEOs have ZERO expectation of privacy while performing their duties.

So generally speaking - no notification required for interaction with on duty LEOs

-- I do have some cash reserves for trouble (7k), as well as cards for CGF, NRA, SAF, and some other contacts in the Anaheim area. Also getting my locking container to comply with school zones and areas. Once the firearm is locked, in an enclosure, I can carry it in say a backpack, correct?

Its good that you have some financial resources available. However keep in mind that if you are prosecuted for anything it'll cost closer to 50k to get through a trial. In your case, that might be even more due to living out on the islands.

Correct - you can carry the locked container in a backpack. The common CA reference for this is LUCC - Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry. There are threads here on the subject, but the 'better' resource to research LUCC is http://www.calguns.net.

Here's the readers digest version...
PC 12025 makes Concealed Carry generally illegal
12026.1 has some exceptions, but there are a few caveats. 1) you must be a US Citizen 2) the transportation must somehow involve a motor vehicle 3) unloaded in a secure locked container
12026.2 has some additional exceptions, but also has caveats. 1) open to all legal persons 2) contains specific destination requirements. i.e. to/from gunsmith, to/from range 3) unloaded in a secure locked container

I know this is an Open Carry site, so you may be surpised to hear this advice...
While you are visiting CA, I would recommend you keep your firearm unloaded an in a locked container and never remove it except for these two reasons. 1) fear of great bodily harm or death 2) your hotel room or temporary residence.

OC in CA is quite complicated - not just because of the laws, those are pretty straight forward once you digest them. Here its more about 'politics' and what local authorities think about guns.

The problem with my advice is that usually we're giving advice to 'free staters' not people from a more restrictive state. In that circumstance its easy to tell them to suck it up a bit while their here and go home free. But in your case, you want to experience some greater 2a lattitude here in CA, but I don't want you to ruin your trip...

Be safe and good luck!

Last edited: