• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Buy, Springfield Township

TheBigRedTruck

September 29 2010, Well, it finally happened!!!!

I was in Best Buy to pick up my new computer. I ordered off Best Buy online and had shipped to my local store. I have been a loyal customer for over ten years, and a quick check of my Quicken account shows I have spent just under $38,000 at Best Buy. This Is my third laptop In three years. I give out on average $5000.00 worth of gift cards to my employees for Christmas for the past three years. Like I said I'm a loyal customer. (Plus, If you buy them at Giant Eagle you get 20 cents off a gallon of gas for ever $50.00)

While the cashier was trying to find a price for the extended warranty , I walked back to get some dvds. A manager stopped me and look at my sidearm and asked if I had papers, I look at him with a puzzled face, I said no!!!! As if he had seen too many movies, he reached down to his belt in the front and pointed at It. I interpreted this as asking me if I had a badge on my belt. I tried to explain to him, Ohio's open carry law. He told me company policy was that firearms are not allowed in the store. I asked him where the signage was on the front door, and explain to him I have been come to this store for about 10 years (yes I'm counting there last location In town) and have always carried and never had a problem with any manager. Again he repeated company policy, again I tried to tell under Ohio HB-12 you must post a sign at the main entrance for all to see entering the premises. He was red In the face and did not like me telling him the law. He told me i would have to take my sidearm out to the car or leave the store, Company Policy, that's all he could say!!!!

I proceeded back to the cashier, He followed me back up to the service desk. I ask him If I could pay my bill and that I did not feel safe leaving my sidearm In the car, he looked at me a nodded, I said thank you. So I payed for the extended warranty and off I went. Trust me If I had not already paid for the laptop online. I would have drove next door to Wally World and gave them my $1000.00. At Least there policy mirrors state law and do not ban law abiding citizen's from It's stores. And they had the same laptop for $20 more.

So yesterday, I called corporate after four people and 11 minutes on the phone I was told we have a policy that mirrors state law; if it is legal in the state you live in, it is legal in are stores. Yes I got the gentleman's name and case number.

So, I called my local Best Buy to speak with the general manger, He's out of town!! LoL So they gave me a one of the three mangers working. I told him how I had been told I had to leave the store due-to what I was told, was store policy. I told him, I called corporate and found out what store policy was one that mirrors state law; if it is legal in the state you live in, it is legal in are stores. He said that not why you where asked to leave!! I said what are you the manger??? He said yes, and I ask you to leave because you where making employees and customers feel uncomfortable. So I asked him If someone said they didn't feel comfortable about a black gentleman would they ask him to leave, hell no!!! If he's a law abiding citizen's your going to get a lawsuit.

Well I'm a 40 year old male with a masters degree, clean cut with cowboy boots wrangler's and a Michigan tee shirt and hat and a Rolex that could pay for just about any car out In there lot even mine. And I'm a what, A THREAT???? and you see fit to ban this law abiding citizen's from your stores? I don't feel comfortable about your plain clothes loss prevention floor walker following me, or some of your blue shirt's that are just plain rude!!!!!!!!!! I'm In your store about 8 times a month.

You are the type that has no Idea what are Founding Fathers of the United States did In 1776 and why. LOOK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you say I made someone feel uncomfortable, so you decide to take away my Constitutional right to self defense that I am duly authorized by law In the great state of Ohio not just me but any law abiding citizen to carry a firearm. That my friend Is
TYRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Deanimator

There's no "open carry law" in Ohio. There's no law against it, so it's legal, although it has been supported indirectly in caselaw regarding concealed carry before THAT was legal with a CHL.
Although you are correct about the signage requirement, I'm not sure about Best Buy policy. LEGALLY they can eject you for any reason or none at all. The absence of a properly posted sign absolves you (unless it's a statutory CPZ) of any criminal liability for being in the store armed, prior to being asked to leave. At that point it becomes a matter for management and the civil and criminal courts. If asked to leave and the person asking won't listen to reason, just leave. Then contact management. If the manager acted against company policy, they will probably kiss your behind to keep your business and keep you from badmouthing them all over the internet.

If it had been me, I would have canceled the transaction and demanded a refund. That gives Best Buy some skin in the game and something to lose from annoying you.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
There's no "open carry law" in Ohio. There's no law against it, so it's legal, although it has been supported indirectly in caselaw regarding concealed carry before THAT was legal with a CHL.
Although you are correct about the signage requirement, I'm not sure about Best Buy policy. LEGALLY they can eject you for any reason or none at all. The absence of a properly posted sign absolves you (unless it's a statutory CPZ) of any criminal liability for being in the store armed, prior to being asked to leave. At that point it becomes a matter for management and the civil and criminal courts. If asked to leave and the person asking won't listen to reason, just leave. Then contact management. If the manager acted against company policy, they will probably kiss your behind to keep your business and keep you from badmouthing them all over the internet.

If it had been me, I would have canceled the transaction and demanded a refund. That gives Best Buy some skin in the game and something to lose from annoying you.
Right on.

Det0x

I love it when people are dumbfounded on the law's our country offers.
I bet he's carrying his now. HAHAHAHA!!!

N605TW

Activist Member
It seems clear to me that you were asked to leave not because of your gun but because of the team you support. Go Bucks :D

I think you did well in the situation but I would have asked for a refund at the time you were asked to leave.

JSlack7851

Here's another instance where a VOICE RECORDER would of been handy. You could of sent the conversation right to corporate and see if he changes his story after that.

Also, Best Buy sux. I purchased a extended warranty for a camera and when the power supply got a short in it they wouldn't / couldn't fix it nor would they give me a new one. I had it back to them 5 times and they wanted me to give it to them again. I go there no more.

Last edited: