• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pizza hut delivery victim speaks out

spinner

I will not eat at Pizza Hut again. These poor driver's have a thankless poor paying job and are victims of assault and robbery all the time. As soon as they have had enough and arm themselves against these thugs, they are fired. It seems they would rather go to an employee's funeral, then have to defend themselves against people who dont believe in gun's, OC, or CC. He took more than I would have taken before I shot. What a bunch of A##Holes. 'Pizza worker: 'I pulled my gun'
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
(Updated 10:52 am)
By The Charlotte Observer

CHARLOTTE (MCT) — Inside a cooler at an east Charlotte Pizza Hut, two would-be robbers were hitting and pistol-whipping a delivery driver. All the while, the driver said, he kept his right elbow pinned tightly against his body — holding a Glock 22 under his shirt and out of view.

He didn't want to use the gun unless he was forced to, he recalled Tuesday. But as he felt one of the men lifting his shirt, nearly exposing the gun, the deliveryman opened fire.

The two men killed — Gregory James Hardy and Dauntrae Wallace — were both 21-year-old convicted felons, one on probation and one awaiting trial on unrelated charges. Police were searching Tuesday night for a third suspect who fled the attempted robbery and may have been wounded.

No charges have been filed against the deliveryman.

He asked that his name not be used out of fear for his and his family's safety. Officials confirmed that the 57-year-old had worked as a jail detention officer and a sheriff's deputy for about six years, until 2004.

The robbery was reported about 11:15 p.m. Monday at the restaurant at East Independence Boulevard and Idlewild Road.

Just after closing, the deliveryman said the store manager asked if he wanted a soda from the McDonald's across the street. The deliveryman said no and continued cleaning while the manager left.

A moment later, three men walked in, at least two pointing guns. The first one told the deliveryman: "I mean business." They told him to open the safe. The deliveryman said he didn't have access.

"Get down!" one ordered. When the deliveryman didn't, he says the man pistol-whipped him. The men then ordered him into a bathroom while they waited for the manager.

One of the robbers waited in the bathroom with the deliveryman. He ordered him to wrap his arms around the toilet, kneeling, and then demanded money.

"Every time I hesitated, he hit me. I have so many bumps," the driver said. He turned over his $42 in tips for the night and a gold chain with a Jesus medallion that he has worn for almost 40 years.

The whole time, the driver tried to keep his gun pressed against his body, under his baggy shirt. The driver has a concealed carry permit and started carrying the gun after being robbed twice in the past two years.

When the manager returned moments later, the suspects grabbed him. One told the deliveryman to crawl to the cooler in the back.

"I said 'I can't crawl,' " said the deliveryman, realizing that if he bent over any further his gun would stick out. "As soon as I stood up, he hit me. I took a big step and ended up in the cooler."

Then the suspect demanded car keys and hit the deliveryman again, opening a nearly 2-inch gash next to his left eye.

When the suspect started to lift the deliveryman's shirt, he realized the robber was about to see his gun.

"I thought, 'He's gonna kill us,' " the deliveryman said. "They're gonna get what they want and still kill me.

"I pulled my gun. I shot him three times, and he fell."

The second suspect started to rush into the cooler, and the deliveryman shot him, too. The third suspect ran away.

When police and paramedics arrived, they found two suspects on the floor, both dead, with guns nearby. One investigator said it's possible the third suspect was wounded by the employee. Police did not have a detailed description of the man.

Court records show that both of the men killed have criminal pasts.

Wallace was convicted of breaking and entering and larceny in 2006. He was fined and given three years probation. In May, he was convicted of carrying a concealed gun and given another year of probation.

Court records show Hardy was convicted of car theft in 2006 and given three years of probation. He was sent to prison for six months in 2007 when he violated his probation by trespassing. Last year, he was arrested and charged with possessing and conspiring to sell marijuana and was scheduled to be tried in November.

The Pizza Hut attempted robbery was the second closing-time fast-food hold-up in less than 24 hours. Early Monday, the Wendy's on Charlottetowne Avenue near uptown was robbed by three men as it closed. A customer was pistol-whipped. Three men were arrested a short while later and charged with armed robbery.

Pizza Hut employees have been fired for using guns in self-defense.

Chris Fuller, a spokesman for Pizza Hut's national corporate office, said that "in the interest of our employees' safety, we don't discuss our safety policies publicly." However, there have been several reports in recent years in which Pizza Hut officials said corporate policy forbids employees to have weapons while on the job.

A Pizza Hut employee in Columbia resigned last year after police said he shot and killed a robbery suspect. The employee resigned, according to Pizza Hut's Fuller, because of the company's policy forbidding employees to carry firearms.

In one well-publicized May 2004 case, a Pizza Hut employee in Carmel, Ind., was fired after he shot and killed a would-be robber. And in 2008, a Pizza Hut worker in Des Moines, Iowa, lost his job after he shot and wounded a robbery suspect. Both of those Pizza Hut employees were delivery drivers.

Though the Charlotte deliveryman said he knew he'd be risking his job by drawing his gun, he was tired of being robbed. He does landscaping during the day and delivers pizzas at night.

"It's hard-earned money, and they think they can just take it?" he said Tuesday.

rugerljr

I will never allow myself to eat at a pizza hut again until their corporate policy doesn't mess with a persons second amendment right. If I had been robbed twice before, I'd of been carrying also. He waited as long as he could before he had drawn his weapon and fired. He actually waited longer then I would of. The guy is a hero not a villian and their corporate policy condemned them both to death. I'm glad the guy cared more about the managers life and himself then he did about a nazi corporate policy.

carracer

Doesn't say if they fired him. Just that others had been fired and/or resigned. I'm assuming so. Is there a definative answer to this case?

elixin77

Doesn't say if they fired him. Just that others had been fired and/or resigned. I'm assuming so. Is there a definative answer to this case?

While it may not have been him that was fired, there have been people who were in the past for this very issue:

Pizza Hut employees have been fired for using guns in self-defense.

The other employee's resigning were more than likely told that they would either resign or be terminated. I would choose to resign as well, because than I would be able to at least put down a good reference.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
You guys who are swearing off of Pizza Hut had better stop patronizing Papa John's, Domino's, Little Caesar's, and pretty much any other large chain pizza joint. They all have the same policies in this regard, and I'm sure that if you look for it you will be able to find similar stories of employees for the other chains who have been dismissed after similar encounters.

If you're really serious about it, then you should stick to the independent pizza establishments in your neighborhood. They are the only ones who may handle such situations differently.

sultan62

You guys who are swearing off of Pizza Hut had better stop patronizing Papa John's, Domino's, Little Caesar's, and pretty much any other large chain pizza joint. They all have the same policies in this regard, and I'm sure that if you look for it you will be able to find similar stories of employees for the other chains who have been dismissed after similar encounters.

If you're really serious about it, then you should stick to the independent pizza establishments in your neighborhood. They are the only ones who may handle such situations differently.

While you're at it, pretty much swear off chain grocery stores, restaurants, department stores, etc. Even when they let citizens carry, they typically restrict employees from carry. This applies to pretty much everywhere.

spinner

I have a couple places near me I dont go to just like you do. But when I see repeated violations and strong armed robberies in the news and in the paper at all the places you said and the employers fire them, I'll start not to go to them either for now my target is pizza hut. these guys deserve better than this (any one deserves better )

.40 Cal

State Researcher
You can bet money this man will be fired, and that the degenerate low-life SOB's related to the degenrate low-life SOB's that tried to rob him will make a big deal about taking him to court. They will seek some form of retribution and claim that their relatives never stood a chance. This man shot them in cold blood. All they wanted to do was reditribute some of his wealth. He should have been a could little sheep and just do as they said, and no one but would have had to die.

sarcasm off

JoeSparky

Centurion
In fact, I think he should sue the robbers' relatives to recover the cost of the bullets he spent on them.

But, you are forgetting about the one that got away.... may be wounded. Obviously this PH employee needs MORE TIME AT THE RANGE AND MORE AMMO so next time he can proper eliminate the threat from all 3 badguys. The badguys or their families that may have benefited from their crimes SHOULD be responsible for this and the counseling one may require after being FORCED to use potentially deadly force to protect himself and his co-workers.

rant off

papa bear

2nd good story about armed citizen saving lives in NC.

i worked at dominoes a few years ago and carried in my car, dang glad i did a couple of times. once while in the projects delivering a pizza. i show a guy that is known for being shy of a full deck. he was coming down the street, cussing to himself and swinging a buck knife wildly around. i held my breath till i got in my car and i felt a lot better when i put my gov. 380 in my lap. i was very relieved to watch him go by.

a few years later when i went back to work there to pick up a little cash. they told me , i couldn't carry in my car. yeah, right

i talked to the guy that was involved in the shooting at the neighbors store, he said he had no problems with shooting the bad guy. i am trying to find out if neighbors is going to discipline his wife, for him being in the store with a gun

elixin77

While you're at it, pretty much swear off chain grocery stores, restaurants, department stores, etc. Even when they let citizens carry, they typically restrict employees from carry. This applies to pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, you and Ruger are right. I didn't think about that.

Well, maybe we can start a letter writing campaign, with our logo following the "an armed society is a polite society" mantra. We can twist this to mean that when employees are armed, they'll be nicer to the patrons and guests of the establishment, and protecting themselves from harm as well. Therefore, a situation such as what happened to the delivery driver at PH won't happen again. Win/Win situation, IMO

Dreamer

You can bet money this man will be fired, and that the degenerate low-life SOB's related to the degenrate low-life SOB's that tried to rob him will make a big deal about taking him to court.

Most likely this will happen. Because in NC, although we are protected by State Statute from being CRIMINALLY charged in a lawful, justifiable self-defense shooting, we can still be held liable in civil cases. This law needs to be changed ASAP.

Heck, even in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, they almost passed a law giving citizens immunity from Civil liability. It passed the House UNANIMOUSLY last session, but Senator Brian Frosh (a frothing anti) gave this bill a "desk drawer veto" refusing to schedule a vote for it, because he said it didn't have enough support... (BTW, Brian Frosh also has held a MD PCH in the past. Whether he hold one currently is unknown...)

NC needs to give Civil Immunity to law-abiding citizens who defend themselves lawfully against criminals, predators and thugs. Anything less than Statutory Civil Immunity is a vote FOR the criminals of this fine state.

Don't be pro-crime, Raleigh. Please vote FOR civil Immunity.

Everyone needs to contact their reps here in NC and get this one on their radar. I'm sure GRNC has something in the works for this issue for the upcoming session of the General Assembly.

Last edited:

cricketdad

Most likely this will happen. Because in NC, although we are protected by State Statute from being CRIMINALLY charged in a lawful, justifiable self-defense shooting, we can still be held liable in civil cases. This law needs to be changed ASAP.

Heck, even in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, they almost passed a law giving citizens immunity from Civil liability. It passed the House UNANIMOUSLY last session, but Senator Brian Frosh (a frothing anti) gave this bill a "desk drawer veto" refusing to schedule a vote for it, because he said it didn't have enough support... (BTW, Brian Frosh also has held a MD PCH in the past. Whether he hold one currently is unknown...)

NC needs to give Civil Immunity to law-abiding citizens who defend themselves lawfully against criminals, predators and thugs. Anything less than Statutory Civil Immunity is a vote FOR the criminals of this fine state.

Don't be pro-crime, Raleigh. Please vote FOR civil Immunity.

Everyone needs to contact their reps here in NC and get this one on their radar. I'm sure GRNC has something in the works for this issue for the upcoming session of the General Assembly.

Forget about contacting Reps. Right now its a waste of time. One of two things has to happen for Castle Doctrine to pass, Actually 3.
1. Put Hugh Holliman out of office
2. Turn the House Republican.
3. Bill has to be reintroduced, which will happen.

You guys at ECU, have a voter registration party. Teach the youngens how to do absentee ballots.

elixin77

2. Turn the House Republican.

Republican's and democrat's are the same - people have to realize this. There is next to no difference between the two candidates other than names.

We need to fill the house with independents, in both the general assembly and congress. While republicans could work, we need to look at whomever is on the ballot, do some research on their stance on stuff that is important to you (individually) and vote that way.

We as a voting nation can't just 'vote all republican' or 'all democrat.' Know why? Because sh!t like whats going on in D.C. right now is because of people doing just that - not researching the candidates and just voting for a party.

Research the candidates for your area, and figure out their stance on everything. Make sure they answer questions directly, and not skirt around the issue. If you find them avoiding the answer, call them out on it.