Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Interesting read: Police Chief Magazine

  1. #1
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910

    Interesting read: Police Chief Magazine

    A very good read:

    Have the Glastonbury and Wallingford police chiefs read this yet? How about Judge Underhill?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    terryville, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    110
    Sadly the excuse the will use is going to be "well if someone calls and complains of a guy with gun and we dont do anything about it and the guy goes off to kill someone the responsibility falls on us". (in my most sarcastic voice)

    I agree with the article because the same situation does arrive daily with regard to autos or just a suspicious persons call. I am guilty of calling the cops on the suspicious persons one though.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
    I am guilty of calling the cops on the suspicious persons one though.
    I am sure we all are, but that is our duty as citizens. The duty of the officers is to check up on things. That does not mean they have to violate any rights of those people.

    Simply engaging the people in polite conversation can go a long way to figuring out their intentions. That is the best circumstance I am suggesting for the police in an OC situation.

    I understand they feel they have to respond, but simply observing and/or talking to the person will give them most of what they need to know. Combine this with the 911 dispatchers asking the right questions and relaying that info to the officers, and we have a very tolerable situation.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Uncasville, ct
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
    Sadly the excuse the will use is going to be "well if someone calls and complains of a guy with gun and we dont do anything about it and the guy goes off to kill someone the responsibility falls on us". (in my most sarcastic voice)
    The irony here is, they aren't legally obligated to protect anyone...There goes their argument there. Unless there something else I missed.
    Last edited by David Roach; 10-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    101

    And this from the rank and file?

    I found this on the Police Magazine site:

    http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Wea...n-Control.aspx

    The contrast in views is telling.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    terryville, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    The irony here is, they aren't legally obligated to protect anyone...There goes their argument there. Unless there something else I missed.
    I am fully aware of this fact, though 99% of the sheep you talk to are not. They feel as if the cops are their personal security. There is a reason celebrities have security and the pres of the usa. They realize in a life/death situation a cop minutes away will not be of any assistance.

    I wish cops felt this way also. Alot of them feel they are the only ones who should be allowed to protect us.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    terryville, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I am sure we all are, but that is our duty as citizens. The duty of the officers is to check up on things. That does not mean they have to violate any rights of those people.

    Simply engaging the people in polite conversation can go a long way to figuring out their intentions. That is the best circumstance I am suggesting for the police in an OC situation.

    I understand they feel they have to respond, but simply observing and/or talking to the person will give them most of what they need to know. Combine this with the 911 dispatchers asking the right questions and relaying that info to the officers, and we have a very tolerable situation.
    Your absolutely right. If ever put in this situation and the cops seem to be being reasonable/friendly then yes by all means a simple chat and I will comply with their wishes. Unfortunately for James Goldberg this wasn't the case, or for that matter for yourself either. They came in with a preconcieved opinion on you and weren't backing down for nothing.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
    Your absolutely right. If ever put in this situation and the cops seem to be being reasonable/friendly then yes by all means a simple chat and I will comply with their wishes. Unfortunately for James Goldberg this wasn't the case, or for that matter for yourself either. They came in with a preconcieved opinion on you and weren't backing down for nothing.
    In both of our cases, we were immediately disarmed and placed in handcuffs. My person was searched, my property seized and then my person was seized. My person was then searched again and more of my property seized.

    All with no reasonable suspicion of any actual law having been violated.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    A very good read:



    Have the Glastonbury and Wallingford police chiefs read this yet? How about Judge Underhill?
    Very reasonable article, even handed. Now to get someone to read it to the cops...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •