• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting read: Police Chief Magazine

stacks04

Sadly the excuse the will use is going to be "well if someone calls and complains of a guy with gun and we dont do anything about it and the guy goes off to kill someone the responsibility falls on us". (in my most sarcastic voice)

I agree with the article because the same situation does arrive daily with regard to autos or just a suspicious persons call. I am guilty of calling the cops on the suspicious persons one though.

Rich B

I am guilty of calling the cops on the suspicious persons one though.

I am sure we all are, but that is our duty as citizens. The duty of the officers is to check up on things. That does not mean they have to violate any rights of those people.

Simply engaging the people in polite conversation can go a long way to figuring out their intentions. That is the best circumstance I am suggesting for the police in an OC situation.

I understand they feel they have to respond, but simply observing and/or talking to the person will give them most of what they need to know. Combine this with the 911 dispatchers asking the right questions and relaying that info to the officers, and we have a very tolerable situation.

David Roach

Sadly the excuse the will use is going to be "well if someone calls and complains of a guy with gun and we dont do anything about it and the guy goes off to kill someone the responsibility falls on us". (in my most sarcastic voice)

The irony here is, they aren't legally obligated to protect anyone...There goes their argument there. Unless there something else I missed.

Last edited:

stacks04

The irony here is, they aren't legally obligated to protect anyone...There goes their argument there. Unless there something else I missed.

I am fully aware of this fact, though 99% of the sheep you talk to are not. They feel as if the cops are their personal security. There is a reason celebrities have security and the pres of the usa. They realize in a life/death situation a cop minutes away will not be of any assistance.

I wish cops felt this way also. Alot of them feel they are the only ones who should be allowed to protect us.

stacks04

I am sure we all are, but that is our duty as citizens. The duty of the officers is to check up on things. That does not mean they have to violate any rights of those people.

Simply engaging the people in polite conversation can go a long way to figuring out their intentions. That is the best circumstance I am suggesting for the police in an OC situation.

I understand they feel they have to respond, but simply observing and/or talking to the person will give them most of what they need to know. Combine this with the 911 dispatchers asking the right questions and relaying that info to the officers, and we have a very tolerable situation.

Your absolutely right. If ever put in this situation and the cops seem to be being reasonable/friendly then yes by all means a simple chat and I will comply with their wishes. Unfortunately for James Goldberg this wasn't the case, or for that matter for yourself either. They came in with a preconcieved opinion on you and weren't backing down for nothing.

Rich B

Your absolutely right. If ever put in this situation and the cops seem to be being reasonable/friendly then yes by all means a simple chat and I will comply with their wishes. Unfortunately for James Goldberg this wasn't the case, or for that matter for yourself either. They came in with a preconcieved opinion on you and weren't backing down for nothing.

In both of our cases, we were immediately disarmed and placed in handcuffs. My person was searched, my property seized and then my person was seized. My person was then searched again and more of my property seized.

All with no reasonable suspicion of any actual law having been violated.