• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 grip safety is loose

COMMANDER1911

My grip safety on my 1911 commander is loose. I've been told I can tighten it up by bending the right leaf on the mainspring, is this true?

elixin77

Take it to a gunsmith, IMO.

When it comes to something like a gun, unless you are trained in how to fix it, it would be best to take it to a gunsmith

Dreamer

It depends on how it's loose. Is is loose side to side, or is it loose in and out?

If it's loose side to side, then it's a fit-to-the-frame issue, and will DEFINITELY require a gunsmith to fix it (but it's an easy and inexpensive fix).

If it's loose in and out, it's probably the mainspring wearing out (or it could be that the hole in the grip safety where the main pin goes through is worn). Either one is an easy fix for a gunsmith. But if it is the mainspring, I'd suggest replacing it rather than bending the mainspring. If th spring is old enough to be losing its tension, bending it will only ake it more prone to breaking, and that would be a VERY bad thing. Mainsprings can be had for under $20. Replace it...

But I'd still let a gunsmith do the work, Sometimes mainsprings require a little fitting, and unless you REALLY know what you're doing, it can be tricky.

Gunsmiths need our support. There aren't enough of them as it is, so any time you can sen a little business their way, you are doing EVERYONE a favor, by ensuring they stay in business...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do not trust a 1911 with a loose grip safety. Send it to me. Send all your holsters and ammo for it, too. :D

Unlike Doug, I do not give out free advice about free advice. I give free offers to keep you safe from untrustworthy firearms.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

It depends on how it's loose. Is is loose side to side, or is it loose in and out?

If it's loose side to side, then it's a fit-to-the-frame issue, and will DEFINITELY require a gunsmith to fix it (but it's an easy and inexpensive fix).

If it's loose in and out, it's probably the mainspring wearing out (or it could be that the hole in the grip safety where the main pin goes through is worn). Either one is an easy fix for a gunsmith. But if it is the mainspring, I'd suggest replacing it rather than bending the mainspring. If th spring is old enough to be losing its tension, bending it will only ake it more prone to breaking, and that would be a VERY bad thing. Mainsprings can be had for under $20. Replace it...

But I'd still let a gunsmith do the work, Sometimes mainsprings require a little fitting, and unless you REALLY know what you're doing, it can be tricky.

Gunsmiths need our support. There aren't enough of them as it is, so any time you can sen a little business their way, you are doing EVERYONE a favor, by ensuring they stay in business...

I agree. The mainspring is the heart of the pistol. I don't want anyone messing with it unless he knows what he's doing. Never bend a mainspring for any reason. Replace it, as noted, they're cheap. Your life isn't.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

My grip safety on my 1911 commander is loose. I've been told I can tighten it up by bending the right leaf on the mainspring, is this true?

1st response to the thread is the proper answer...take it to a competent gunsmith that has experience with 1911's.

That said, you can hit either of the primary 1911 forums and look for an answer there. If it's loose rear to muzzle, then yes it can be corrected by a leaf-spring bend...I suggest you have a smith do this and show you how it's done so you can make the correction in the future. (it's part of tuning a 1911)

http://forums.1911forum.com/
http://forum.m1911.org/

Those will give you a lot more information than you could possibly absorb in a reasonable amount of time. You'll learn a lot about tuning there as well as other issues folks have experienced from custom builds to factory firearms. Hope it helps.