Thread: Governors race?

Governors race?

Anyone know Snyder's views on the 2nd Amendment? I know the NRA rated Bernero an "F", so I guess Snyder can't be any worse than that. That's the one race I'm not 100% set on yet, the gun issue will decide it.

Fortunately for me, both state representative candidates are NRA "A" rated, the state senate has one "A+" and one "A" rated, and the U.S. House district race, both are "A" rated (one is rated "A" by GOA, the other didn't respond). Kind of hard to vote against gun rights with politicians like that

I don't trust their rating system. If you're republican +2 points, if you're democrat -2 points, if you're Libertarian ????

They seem to be more about the party than the candidate.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I don't trust their rating system. If you're republican +2 points, if you're democrat -2 points, if you're Libertarian ????

They seem to be more about the party than the candidate.
    This is not the case anymore. Some of the biggest 2A supporters are Democrats, ie Joel Sheltrown, 103 district. Then you have republicans like L. Brooks Patterson who act like idiots in speaking about gun owners. Do the research. Do not rely on party affiliation alone. It may come back to bite you.
    Last edited by sprinklerguy28; 10-01-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Check his website. His 2A stance is there. I'd link it, but posting via phone atm. Rick is pro-2A, and pro carry 'with license' This means to me that either he believes all should have licenses to carry, or he isn't familiar with the fact that you can OC without a CPL. I'm going to go with the latter of the two because there's still a lot of carry misconceptions.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Check his website. His 2A stance is there. I'd link it, but posting via phone atm. Rick is pro-2A, and pro carry 'with license' This means to me that either he believes all should have licenses to carry, or he isn't familiar with the fact that you can OC without a CPL. I'm going to go with the latter of the two because there's still a lot of carry misconceptions.

"Rick is pro-2A, and pro carry 'with license' "....Somewhat oxymoronic. If he were truly pro-2A, all forms of carry would be supported.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    "Rick is pro-2A, and pro carry 'with license' "....Somewhat oxymoronic. If he were truly pro-2A, all forms of carry would be supported.
    I agree. I usually don't like looking at a politicians website because they only tell you what you want to hear. For example, remember when Hilary was stating the Obama was to extreme on guns, and that she would protect gun rights? Or in '92 when Bill Clinton said he was for gun rights? I'd rather look at their past performance, but in some cases, like with Snyder, that can't be done.

In the private sector every employer has a certain number of days that is considered a "probationary" period for new employees. If the new employee doesn't measure up before the end of that probationary period they are let go because they aren't right for the job... and a another new employee is hired.

It is past time this same process is applied to ALL elected officials regardless of the level of government .... Every elected official from dog catcher to President should have their job performance reviewed at a... for example... 5 month date after election. Don't measure up? Yer fired! And we will elect another one.

Expensive to go through all those elections? Yes. Pain in the arse to get people out to vote for all those elections? Yes.

Electing someone who can actually do the job (like read the damn bill before voting on it!).... absolutely priceless.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Before the primary I emailed him to ask for clarification on this very subject. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I have been absolutely amazed at how little this group seems to care about the upcoming elections. We will have a new AG that could drastically affect gun laws in the state based only on their opinion, including eliminating recipriocity, carrying more than 1 gun, and other opinions that have went in our favor.

We are also voting for SOS, something that could affect how our CPL's are handled. No one on here really seems interested in even discussing those for some reason.

As far as the Gov race I believe that Snyder is the best choice for 2A rights, but the fact that bernero is owned by the unions and only represents their special interests is what really puts me off on him.

Now i'm sure someone like the kyleitunes guy that keeps posting anti-2 party rhetoric will tell me how corrupt the 2 party system is and don't vote for either, but I don't buy that garbage. If we just sit back and let the rest of the population decide things we may be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I have been absolutely amazed at how little this group seems to care about the upcoming elections. We will have a new AG that could drastically affect gun laws in the state based only on their opinion, including eliminating recipriocity, carrying more than 1 gun, and other opinions that have went in our favor.

We are also voting for SOS, something that could affect how our CPL's are handled. No one on here really seems interested in even discussing those for some reason.
    I agree, it has been quiet regarding the election. Like I said, I'm fortunate enough that candidates in my state house, state senate, and U.S. house districts are all A or A+ rated by the NRA. Though Snyder has a "?", which means he never answered their questionnaire, which makes me wonder why, but I guess since Bernero got an "F", I'll have to go with Snyder and take a gamble..after all, he can't be worse the Bernero

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I agree. I usually don't like looking at a politicians website because they only tell you what you want to hear. For example, remember when Hilary was stating the Obama was to extreme on guns, and that she would protect gun rights? Or in '92 when Bill Clinton said he was for gun rights? I'd rather look at their past performance, but in some cases, like with Snyder, that can't be done.
    That's why it is always important to define your terms... (actually step one in any logical argument). I'm sure that someone somewhere was taken-in by the Clintons' "we are for gun rights" statements. However, in looking at their definition of "gun rights" or Snyder's definition of being "pro-2A" or, even the police chief's statement in other thread about Berkley trying to change the gun laws, where he states that he supports "a person's 2nd Amendment, constitutional rights"; my definition of all these things is VERY different than theirs.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Check out Stacey Mathia at www.staceymathia2010.com. She was at the Warren OC picnic back in July i believe it was. She is definetly pro 2A.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

For Fred Upton's seat in the 6th District for the US Congress look at Mel Valkner. I came across him doing some study yesterday. He has a webpage at the common man dot org I have never met the man, nor never heard him speak but I was impressed by what I read on his page. I know, that's not the whole story.

How Upton beat Hoogendyk is beyond me. Upton voted with the Democrats so often then had the nerve to get on the radio and said we have to stop the big spending by the Democrats. He voted with them. What a hypocrite.

Vote all incumbents out...including your own!

As for SOS and AG, that's a bit tougher because I haven't heard much about any of them. Anyone have any good place to find info and where they stand with 2A?
    "Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured...
    but no one must prove they are a citizen! Ben Stein

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk View Post
    For Fred Upton's seat in the 6th District for the US Congress look at Mel Valkner. I came across him doing some study yesterday. He has a webpage at the common man dot org I have never met the man, nor never heard him speak but I was impressed by what I read on his page. I know, that's not the whole story.

How Upton beat Hoogendyk is beyond me. Upton voted with the Democrats so often then had the nerve to get on the radio and said we have to stop the big spending by the Democrats. He voted with them. What a hypocrite.

As for SOS and AG, that's a bit tougher because I haven't heard much about any of them. Anyone have any good place to find info and where they stand with 2A?

Hey neighbor good to see more people in the SW joining OC! Welcome I'm with ya Upton should not have taken this one, I'm just in the 2nd dist. but am paying attention across the state and country. Again welcome to OC

carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil88 View Post
    Check out Stacey Mathia at www.staceymathia2010.com. She was at the Warren OC picnic back in July i believe it was. She is definetly pro 2A.
    Stacy Mathia is awesome, but has absolutely zero chance at winning. She's cool, but unfortunately a no-name, and voting for her would be throwing your vote away imo. Of the two primary candidates, Rick is the clear winner.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Simple fact is, 2A is a VERY minor consideration for most when they or someone they directly know and love are out if a job. It's sad, but true. This dies not mean we shouldn't educate one another on various candidates positions on 2A.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

She's cool, but unfortunately a no-name, and voting for her would be throwing your vote away imo.
    It's that kind of mentality that keeps "the other guy" (or woman in this case) from winning. I frequently vote for "the other guy"; you're right they don't win, but I know that I didn't choose the lesser of two evils.

Stacy Mathia is awesome, but has absolutely zero chance at winning. She's cool, but unfortunately a no-name, and voting for her would be throwing your vote away imo. Of the two primary candidates, Rick is the clear winner.
    No... throwing your vote away is voting for someone whose stance on the issues is not in agreement with the people electing him/her. To paraphrase Einstein, the belief that you can continue to do things the same way and expect a different result is the definition of insanity.

No... throwing your vote away is voting for someone whose stance on the issues is not in agreement with the people electing him/her. To paraphrase Einstein, the belief that you can continue to do things the same way and expect a different result is the definition of insanity.
    +1

I will vote 3rd party libertarian in local elections, but for the gov race i'm smart enough to know that if i do that i will be letting others decide my 2A rights. Bernero is not supportive of 2A, so not voting for Snyder will only increase Bernero's chances of winning, and there is no way i'm willing to do that. Snyder may not be a 2A champion, but he has stated he is in favor of carry and ownership, thats more than Bernero can say.

We(2A supporters) didn't come together in the primary and that's why we have Snyder, lets not make the same mistake in the general election and end up with bernero.

I will vote 3rd party libertarian in local elections, but for the gov race i'm smart enough to know that if i do that i will be letting others decide my 2A rights. Bernero is not supportive of 2A, so not voting for Snyder will only increase Bernero's chances of winning, and there is no way i'm willing to do that. Snyder may not be a 2A champion, but he has stated he is in favor of carry and ownership, thats more than Bernero can say.

We(2A supporters) didn't come together in the primary and that's why we have Snyder, lets not make the same mistake in the general election and end up with bernero.

This man I can agree with!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

It's not that we didn't come together, it's that we all have differing concerns, of which 2A may or may not be primary.

Being a Libertarian, I didn't find that Mike Cox was best for me. For that matter, I couldn't find out anything about Mike Cox on election day as his website was down when I went to look at it after work!!!
    Last edited by TheQ; 10-05-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk View Post

Fortunately, all my reps are term limited, and Stupak (U.S. house) isn't running again, so I can't vote for an incumbent, even if I wanted to

well the uaw is with benero, poor choice.. i will probably be voteing for the other guy.