• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the Site in Louisville KY

Kwassing

Hello Guys and Gals. New to the site and i live in the Louisville Area. How many of you all live in the louisville area

Kniss

I'm new too

Hello, I am new to the site as well. I am also in Louisville. I would love to go a local gathering of fellow OCers. I have been OCing for about a month and have been to a few places out in the Middletown / Jtown area. Don't have anything grand just a S&W .38 chief special airweight i carry in a blackhawk serpa holster. I am hoping to purchase a new hand gun to replace it as my EDC. Thinking about a Glock, M&P, or XD. So far the M&P is winning the fight. Still not sure of the caliper either. I want at least a .40 if not a .45.

I thought I would share some of my findings with you.

The louisville zoo sports a no gun sign and sites krs 527.070 claiming because of children on field trips they qualify as school grounds.

My days with stockyards bank are now numbered. I have just talked with my branch manger who call their "head security guy" and I have been informed not to bring a gun into a branch for fear of "alarming staff and or customers". I was told by one of their cashiers that they are trained to call the police if anyone enters they bank armed with a gun but was told by the branch manger that if it was CC then they wouldn't see it. Anyone know of a bank that wont required me to disarm myself before entering their branches?

I have been to (2) walmarts, waffle house, ihop, penn station, (3)thorntons, cox's smoke shop, meijer's, kroger's, lotus gunworks, bluegrass indoor range, and open range (in crestwood) all with out incident. I even had a FBI agent open the door for me at penn station. Have not had any run ins with LEOs yet.

Last edited:

neuroblades

Hello, I am new to the site as well. I am also in Louisville. I would love to go a local gathering of fellow OCers. I have been OCing for about a month and have been to a few places out in the Middletown / Jtown area. Don't have anything grand just a S&W .38 chief special airweight i carry in a blackhawk serpa holster. I am hoping to purchase a new hand gun to replace it as my EDC. Thinking about a Glock, M&P, or XD. So far the M&P is winning the fight. Still not sure of the caliper either. I want at least a .40 if not a .45.

I thought I would share some of my findings with you.

The louisville zoo sports a no gun sign and sites krs 527.070 claiming because of children on field trips they qualify as school grounds.

My days with stockyards bank are now numbered. I have just talked with my branch manger who call their "head security guy" and I have been informed not to bring a gun into a branch for fear of "alarming staff and or customers". I was told by one of their cashiers that they are trained to call the police if anyone enters they bank armed with a gun but was told by the branch manger that if it was CC then they wouldn't see it. Anyone know of a bank that wont required me to disarm myself before entering their branches?

I have been to (2) walmarts, waffle house, ihop, penn station, (3)thorntons, cox's smoke shop, meijer's, kroger's, lotus gunworks, bluegrass indoor range, and open range (in crestwood) all with out incident. I even had a FBI agent open the door for me at penn station. Have not had any run ins with LEOs yet.

First off, welcome to the OC forum, Kniss.

Secondly, about this bank issue. Do you personally work at the bank or is this just the bank that you do business with? Do they have a "NO Firearms Allowed" sign posted? If not, then they're completely talking out of their hats! According to KRS, I've not found anything that states that it's illegal to carry there. There is one possible except, that being if there's a federal law connected to banks. FDIC does not count! The best way to handle this issue is to go for your CCDW, that way you can just carry concealed without any of the hassles that one would/will encounter with open carry.

Third, as for the Zoo. Is there any signage posted? There is NO legal basis for their statement claiming to be "like a school". KRS 527.070 is ONLY in reference to schools (K-12) and even then, their are exceptions!

KRS 527.070 section 1 states:

A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon on school property when he knowingly deposits, possesses, or carries, whether openly or concealed, for purposes other than instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or the purposes permitted in subsection (3) of this section, any firearm or other deadly weapon, destructive device, or booby trap device in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. The provisions of this section shall not apply to institutions of postsecondary or higher education.

So, unless that zoo is under the board of education, it is NOT classified as a "school". Hence forth, the sign is illegal, in reference to that point.

If you'd like to discuss this further, just post a new thread on here. There are others here that are better versed than I on these topics.

Attachments

• KRS 527.070 - Weapons & Schools.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 196

KRM59

Welcome to ocdc

welcome Kniss,
about the banks i use PNC and i have no issues oc'ing at my branch. the zoo is a different matter. i have no clue but i will check into it. i am thinking about getting a oc cook out set up here in louisville now there are a few more posting locally. I am fairly new to oc, this is my 4th month and i have been many places, some now ask me if i am sick when i run out in a hurry and do not have my side arm. lol. also haven't had a LE encounter yet either except for our block watch cook out, they had a metro officer there to do kid ID's but he said nothing to me and i passed out all the info pamplets i had printed. could have used a bunch more.

meyek91974

Hey, I'm in Louisville too. Let me know how your carrying is going

I know and asked several officers; current and retired. My wife's dad was a captain or leutenant for Lou PD before retireing. Plus, a neighbor is a Metro public affairs person, and I know several others. I have carried open sometime.

I AM LOOKING FOR LOCALS WHO I CAN CHEW THE FAT WITH FOR PERSPECTIVES AND MAYBE HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE WITH.

KRM59

alway up for a meet and greet

I am open for a meet up. i live very close to the fair grounds. right in front of churchill downs. i do know Jerry's has been open carry friendly for me. but you are right we need to get a local group connected.

Ivan Sample

To all that is new to this board welcome here and welcome to Louisville. You will find out that this a great place to be and we are all friendly and family. Because we all have something in common and that is expressing our constitutional right to open carry. I must add that we have very knowledged folks here that can help with just about any question that you might have pertaining to open carry or conceal carry. Once again welcome my friends.

Tom Gresham

Please allow me to post a quick question about Louisville here. Are there restrictions about carrying in the "Kentucky International Convention Center"?

Tribunal Power

Welcome to the site. I live about an hour and a half from Louisville, but if there's a meet going on, I'll happily make the drive (that is, if I don't have to work). Just wanted to put that out there. If you set up a meeting on this forum, don't expect all your attendees to come out of Louisville. :p

Now someone please answer Tom Gresham's question, or I'll feel bad for stealing the thread and leaving him no answer. xD

aadvark

The Answer is:
Open Carry IS Legal at The Louisville Zoo, under BOTH Federal and State Law!
Open Carry IS Legal at any Bank, under BOTH Federal and State Law!
*** It is a COMMON MYTH about Banks, being Regulated by The FDIC, that they qualify as Federal Facilities, as per United States Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930(a), HOWEVER; they do not! Banks are Private Property, and they can simply ask you to Leave, at which point, if you do not, then, you can be Charged under Kentucky Revised Statute 511.080, which is ONLY a Violation***

Last edited: