Thread: Best or efficient way to map 1,000 ft from Schools?

Best or efficient way to map 1,000 ft from Schools?

Planning a trip to Anaheim, CA. Since I am coming from Hawaii it's nice to be able to carry a firearm again, even if its UOC. However, in an attempt to try and comply with the 1,000 ft from k-12 property, I am trying to find a decent way to map the schools with a range. I do not intend to carry a map on my person. I just intend to kind of know what street's intersections to not go past to remain out of range (carrying the map would be dumb).

Currently I am using google maps and then compassing off the distance for each area. Are there any better ways people have found to do this so that they may legally UOC and remain within the laws of their county / state?
    Last edited by Funtimes; 10-02-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    'Best' depends on the details of the jurisdiction's ordinance, your tools and your objectives. It sounds like you're doing fine with G00gle.

Here, our GFSZ is defined from the property lines and not from the structure and we often have on-line tax roll GIS that allows us to see a rather precise shape.

Our law also requires that we knowingly violate the 1000' GFSZ which makes it better NOT to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    'Best' depends on the details of the jurisdiction's ordinance, your tools and your objectives. It sounds like you're doing fine with G00gle.

Here, our GFSZ is defined from the property lines and not from the structure and we often have on-line tax roll GIS that allows us to see a rather precise shape.

Our law also requires that we knowingly violate the 1000' GFSZ which makes it better NOT to know.
    TX and OK require the commission of another crime for the 1000' WFSZ to be a factor. Traveling through is not a problem. I do it all the time. You can actually be legal on school grounds in a vehicle picking up or dropping off. Just don't carry in the buildings.

My advise is read the laws. If I lived across the road from a school, under the way you are acting, I couldn't have a firearm in my own home. It doesn't work that way.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
    ...I am trying to find a decent way to map the schools with a range...
    My best advice to you would be to write your state legislature asking them to support your Constitutional rights to carry a firearm.

I spent 20 years serving my country around the world in support of our Constitution, and I can't fathom any possible reason to restrict lawful carry which might protect our children when those who unlawfully carry mow them down in cold blood. It's a simple case of Gun Free Zone vs Free Fire Zone.

I'm a graduate of Virginia Tech, class of 1988. I know.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.