• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Securing Airline Luggage by Always Carrying a Firearm

lowflier

Here is something I thought this group might be interested in.

http://deviating.net/firearms/

The basic idea is that no one can open your airline luggage when you have declared that it contains a firearm. The person who posted this is someone involved in the Information Security field. I think he is a credible source. Look it over and post your thoughts if you are interested.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you want to feel safer, it's a way to go. However, it is no guarantee that your luggage will not be tampered with, stolen, or lost.

It just makes it harder on you to deal with those consequences.

stay safe.

rotty

Good link, some good tips.

I have been traveling with a pistol for just alittle over 6 years. It does give you the ability to lock your luggage but does make things take longer at certain airports.

eye95

I was under the impression that the firearm was supposed to be in a locked container inside your luggage. Is your entire piece of luggage being the locked container another option or the only option?

Also, what if you are traveling to a state that does not allow you to carry a firearm, say Illinois?

One thought I had: Does Illinois have a law against traveling with a bullet? I don't know. If they don't, would putting a single bullet (instead of a firearm) in your locked container, along with your other valuables, trigger (pun intended) the rules for transporting firearms?

HeroHog

If you are doing this just "for insurance", I suggest ya get a Jennings/Hi-Point etc. disposable so that when it does disappear you aren't out much!

Tomas

Those cheap pot metal starter's pistols fly under the same rules, and are the least expensive luggage protection assuming you won't be flying with at least your back-up weapon...

Son_of_Perdition

I was under the impression that the firearm was supposed to be in a locked container inside your luggage. Is your entire piece of luggage being the locked container another option or the only option?

Also, what if you are traveling to a state that does not allow you to carry a firearm, say Illinois?

One thought I had: Does Illinois have a law against traveling with a bullet? I don't know. If they don't, would putting a single bullet (instead of a firearm) in your locked container, along with your other valuables, trigger (pun intended) the rules for transporting firearms?

A bullet can complicate the time it takes you to check your bags. The key words here are "UNLOADED FIREARMS" In the eyes of the TSA a bullet is an explosive devise and explosive devises take down airplanes. We all know that your .22LR is not going to make it past your socks let alone get out of your luggage if it went off. But it will make your day a long one when you go to check that bag. If your shooting for cheep, I would use a boat flare gun to skirt under the law. Just be sure to leave the flares at home and shoot them off at new-year (Cheep fireworks).
Also the answer is YES. Your entire piece of luggage can be and is the locked container.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A bullet can complicate the time it takes you to check your bags. The key words here are "UNLOADED FIREARMS" In the eyes of the TSA a bullet is an explosive devise and explosive devises take down airplanes. We all know that your .22LR is not going to make it past your socks let alone get out of your luggage if it went off. But it will make your day a long one when you go to check that bag. If your shooting for cheep, I would use a boat flare gun to skirt under the law. Just be sure to leave the flares at home and shoot them off at new-year (Cheep fireworks).
Also the answer is YES. Your entire piece of luggage can be and is the locked container.

Cite please?

My memory says locked (non-TSA lock) container inside a hard-cased container (suitcase/whatever) that also is locked, but merely with a TSA lock.

stay safe.

chewy352

"Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. If ammunition is permitted, it must be declared to the airline at check-in. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition." http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

Ammunition is permitted and has to be declared just the same as a firearm.

rotty

Cite please?

My memory says locked (non-TSA lock) container inside a hard-cased container (suitcase/whatever) that also is locked, but merely with a TSA lock.

stay safe.

If the bag is hard sided, such as a pelican case, it is considered adequate. Itravel with a small .45 auto in a soft case inside a pelican case and have never had an issue declaring the firearm itself or the 2 loaded magazines I carry which are also declared. I do not use a TSA lock I use a fortified master lock to which I carry the key with me once the baggage has been cleared.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Last edited:

chewy352

Cite please?

stay safe.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Last edited:

Hef

How often do you fly with firearms?

I've flown many times and check-in has always been a breeze. My wife doesn't like that I carry but she prefers that I fly with it, since it cuts our curb-to-gate time to 5-10 minutes. We never wait in any line, at all, nor do we endure any hassle that I can't resolve in under 30 seconds. I always fly with 3 loaded magazines.

eye95

How often do you fly with firearms?

I've flown many times and check-in has always been a breeze. My wife doesn't like that I carry but she prefers that I fly with it, since it cuts our curb-to-gate time to 5-10 minutes. We never wait in any line, at all, nor do we endure any hassle that I can't resolve in under 30 seconds. I always fly with 3 loaded magazines.

He probably was referring to flying with ammo only. He may have a point to the extent that flying with ammo without a firearm is sure to at least raise questions. My proposal was looking to simplify matters in the event that I would fly to Illinois, where carry is generally prohibited. Some have suggested packing a flare gun or a starter's pistol, each of which would have the desired effect of packing a firearm, but would possibly legal (I don't know) to carry in Illinois.

On packing the ammo, am I reading the regulations correctly? Ammo in a magazine, with the magazine in a magazine pouch, packaged inside the secure case meets TSA regs?

rotty

Thanks.

How about the issue of dealing with the firearm when you get to your destination if that locale is firearm-hostile, say Chicago?

Honestly I am sure I have broken a few laws in regards to that but my personal safety has always trumped law for me. Not to say that is a smart way to look at things but it is how I see things.

I have only had one interaction with a LEO while traveling and it was to report a theft from my vehicle. The LEO that took the report saw the GLOCK sticker on the back window and gave me the speech that I was not allowed to possess a weapon in MA without a permit. Off the record he told me that there was a robbery, assault, and rape in the hotel I was staying in the previous night and said " if I was staying here I also would be armed if I had the means"

I personally just make sure it's trunked, unloaded, and locked where I am not allowed to carry with my current permits and I pray I wont have any issues.

eye95

Honestly I am sure I have broken a few laws in regards to that but my personal safety has always trumped law for me. Not to say that is a smart way to look at things but it is how I see things.

I have only had one interaction with a LEO while traveling and it was to report a theft from my vehicle. The LEO that took the report saw the GLOCK sticker on the back window and gave me the speech that I was not allowed to possess a weapon in MA without a permit. Off the record he told me that there was a robbery, assault, and rape in the hotel I was staying in the previous night and said " if I was staying here I also would be armed if I had the means"

I personally just make sure it's trunked, unloaded, and locked where I am not allowed to carry with my current permits and I pray I wont have any issues.

I figgered that was the answer. It is unacceptable that LACs' right to carry in every State is not respected. The long slide into restricting gun rights has been halted, and we are moving in the other direction. Unfortunately, it is harder to climb than to slide.

Sorry, I didn't meant to preach to the choir.

Hef

He probably was referring to flying with ammo only. He may have a point to the extent that flying with ammo without a firearm is sure to at least raise questions. My proposal was looking to simplify matters in the event that I would fly to Illinois, where carry is generally prohibited. Some have suggested packing a flare gun or a starter's pistol, each of which would have the desired effect of packing a firearm, but would possibly legal (I don't know) to carry in Illinois.

I didn't interpret it that way. Maybe I should re-read his post. I took it as "flying with ANY ammo" will cause delays and hassles.

On packing the ammo, am I reading the regulations correctly? Ammo in a magazine, with the magazine in a magazine pouch, packaged inside the secure case meets TSA regs?

That is correct. I have heard some airlines want the ammo in the original cardboard packaging, but my experience has been that magazines inserted top-down in closed mag pouches are perfectly acceptable.

swinokur

Activist Member

the TSA regs allow it as long as the exposed end of the mag is covered as in putting the mag into a holder upside down. The problem is the airline may not allow it. don't take the chance just have ammo in original containers

swinokur

Activist Member
Cite please?

stay safe.

The TSA reg only mentions that your firearm be in a hard sided locked case that only you have the key to. If that case is also your suitcase then you have complied with the reg. I know a guy who uses a large Pelican case to put both his clothes and firearms in. Presto, locked secure luggage. he has never had a problem .If you travel with your locked case in your luggage make sure your firearm declaration is not inside the pistol case If TSA needs to conduct a secondary inspection and they can't see it your luggage may not go on the plane until it's checked for that. Some airline employees tell you to put the card in your pistol case. That's incorrect. I checked with TSA on this

TSA REGS
# ou must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
# The firearm must be unloaded.
# The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
# The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
# We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
# You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
# You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
# You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
# You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

no mention of 2 cases. like OC if not prohibited it's allowed

Last edited: