• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Securing Airline Luggage by Always Carrying a Firearm

Nanook

I was under the impression that the firearm was supposed to be in a locked container inside your luggage. Is your entire piece of luggage being the locked container another option or the only option?

I usually travel with a hard-sided plastic American Tourister suitcase, which is lockable. The requirement for a separate hard-sided container to be placed within the suitcase is an airline or check-in-agent dependent matter. The federal requirement is for the gun to be within a "hard sided case", but is otherwise unspecified. As a matter of routine, I just place my gun in a plastic gun case within the larger suitcase, and place locks on BOTH. I also demand that TSA review my suitcase in my presence during check-in.

Two common problems I have encountered:

The check-in agent who demands to "inspect" the weapon to see if it is unloaded. I immediately call for a supervisor if this happens, without arguing the point. I then explain that federal law/regulation requires only that the traveler certify that the gun is unloaded by signing a declaration which is placed INSIDE the suitcase. The law does not require the traveler to demonstrate via inspection to the airline or TSA that the firearm is in fact unloaded. If they refuse to accept that, I produce the airline's own tariff (contract of carriage) and point out to the agent that such an inspection is not required by the contract of carriage. If TSA mandates an inspection, even though the regs (to my knowledge...of course TSA regs are secret:mad:......) do not require an inspection of the weapon, I generally do not argue the point. I do refuse to handle the weapon myself, stating clearly that to do so in an airport is unsafe, and insist that TSA secure the services of an armed law enforcement officer to do the inspection, as TSA agents are not trained in the safe handling of firearms.

The NEW YORK?NEW JERSEY problem. Never ever ever(!) accept a trip that routes you through/into an airport into one of those states. That is the simplest way to solve the myriad problems with traveling with weapons in those states. Spend your travel dollars in another state that respects the Constitution.

Although I have rarely had any problems traveling with a checked pistol, I always travel with a copy of the airline's contract of carriage, the TSA rules for traveling with firearms, the federal regulations and laws dealing with traveling with a firearm, and finally a copy of laws of the states into/through which I am traveling, and I never hesitate to pull them out and read them to people who don't understand them.

Last edited:

lowflier

Thanks for replying to my first.

Thanks for replying to my first post.

I enjoyed everyone's comments!

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Flying with Firearms through restrictive states...From what I have read and heard, it's not an issue to transport them. You have the legal right to do so. Just make sure you check with each airline your dealing with and know the transport statutes in each state you will be traveling in. But of course this is not legal advice.

OldCurlyWolf

If the bag is hard sided, such as a pelican case, it is considered adequate. Itravel with a small .45 auto in a soft case inside a pelican case and have never had an issue declaring the firearm itself or the 2 loaded magazines I carry which are also declared. I do not use a TSA lock I use a fortified master lock to which I carry the key with me once the baggage has been cleared.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

The regulations require original ammo boxes, not mags. I had to dump a mag once to be able to fly. They wouldn't allow a loaded mag on the plane. This was before 9/11.

OOPS I stand corrected on the mags thing and now know why I had a problem, I didn't have them in mag holders.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
TSA is usually OK with mags. as long as they are packed according to their regs. (open end down in mag holder) It's usually the airline that doesn't like them and can require packing in boxes

Be safe and just pack ammo in original boxes. Be advised there are also weight restrictions for ammo and not every airline is the same. As an example United allows 11 lbs. but Alaska Air allows 50 lbs. Check the airline web site for weight allowances.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
On packing the ammo, am I reading the regulations correctly? Ammo in a magazine, with the magazine in a magazine pouch, packaged inside the secure case meets TSA regs?

No mention in the TSA regs about ammo required to be in the locked case. Therefore you can pack ammo in with your clothes. The only thing that needs to be locked is the firearm

I travel like this once a month.

Last edited: