• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When was the last time?

suntzu

When was the last time members of the TN forum wrote a letter to the editor section of your individual news papers promoting the open carry of firearms? When was the last time members of the TN forum wrote letters to the larger newspapers promoting the open carry of firearms? When was the last time members of the TN forum wrote your state legislators asking them to change TN law and to decriminalize the possession of firearms in TN and to make TN like Alaska and Arizona that does not require a permit to carry and yet still issues permits to those who want them?

So when was the last time?

HvyMtl

When the employee tried to misuse the TOSHA rules, and several times before, when they mislabeled the restuarant carry bill as "guns in bars."

Tennessean (Nashville, TN daily newspaper) is anti-2nd and will be. They wont change and wont print pro-gun.

Wrote WSMV (Channel 4 Nashville, TN for those not in Mid-TN) too when they had that far misleading story on the fellow who had held gangsta dances at his bar, and got overly scared about firearms, when there was a shooting in his parking lot (no permit holders involved) and then said permit holders would have "made it worse" and it would have been like "Dodge City."

Wrote them a nice, polite, but firm letter. The next time they had any article on about the restaurant carry law, they referred to it "permit holders allowed to carry in restaurants serving alcohol," and not the previous "guns in bars" b.s. they had before. And they added the info the permit holders are not allowed to consume alcohol while carrying. I do know there were several groups which contacted WSMV over that non-story/ b.s article. Seems there was impact there...

Last edited:

suntzu

As for myself I have written both my state representative and my state senator about making Tennessee a state where no permit is required to carry.

It did no good of course, because it would take thousands of letters from gun owners across the state to have any effect at all unless we could find a pro 2A member of the state legislature who would be willing to work on this issue, and unfortunately I think too many gun owners don't want a Constitutional carry provision like Alaska or Arizona has because they have swallowed the training mantra, hook, line and sinker, and they either cannot see or are unwilling to see that the 8hr class you have to take where you spend 4 hours in the class and 4 on the range cannot teach you anything except the very basics of how to handle and shoot a gun as well as the basics on self-defense laws in this state.

It isn't about training and never has been, otherwise the state would mandate and at least partially pay for the residents to take 60-80hrs of firearms courses a year and require them to re-qualify with their weapon at least once per year in order to maintain their permit.

I asked my legislators to elaborate for me on exactly how many crimes were prevented by the legislature "regulating the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime"--they never responded of course, not that I actually expected them to.....

It is the $$$$ the state receives not training that matters in this state.

Last edited:

eb31

Soon to be Kwik reincarnated :sigh: Thank God they revoked his permit. He did nothing but make the rest of us look bad. Let's not make a repeat of that crap.

I carry, open and concealed, all thoughout Tn without an ounce of problems and without any incident. Please dont start acting ridiculous like those in WI & MI and start bringing negative attention here in Tn.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Sadly, I live in Nashville, and have the likes of Sen Henry and other Dems as representation... So, writing them would be pretty useless...