Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Rifle Hike

Urban Rifle Hike

I decided to take advantage of the lull between the hot, and the soon to arrive stormy weather and go for a hike to the gun range today. I needed to prepare for hunting season, and the best way is to suit up and practice a little. You don't want your first day out in the field to be the testing ground for you and your gear, because it usually costs some dough to go on safari, and these days, that's a big concern. You could end up spending a hundred or two, and come home empty handed, and with pulled muscles or who knows what other ailments. Before I went abalone diving for the first time each year, I always took a quick check out dive locally for the same reasons. So I put on my hiking boots, grabbed my 30.06 and 20 rounds in a waistband carrier, along with a bottle of water and a small amount of cash for range fees and emergencies. I slung the .06 across my back and headed out from home shortly after noon. My route was a little less than "as the crow flies" due to school zones, but I guessed the trip was 10 miles one way. The temperature was hot, but not unbearable, and the sun was beating down pretty good, but that's one of the hazards you may have to endure if you hunt in the warmer parts of the north state. I had to cross the freeway almost immediately and then headed for the straight line of Folsom blvd. Folsom was to be the straighest and longest leg of the tour. Traffic was pretty heavy actually, and it wasn't long before I found myself waiting to cross several lights, most on the freeway onramps.I had made it a little past Bradshaw road, and only about a half mile from home when I heard sirens and suddenly saw two different units in the oncoming side of traffic. I swear I thought they were headed elsewhere, because one looked like he was passing the other, but I found out that I was their call. Turns out there were several more behind me, but I am deaf in one side, and was concentrating on the two that were in my immediate front. Those two stopped and took up firing positions from their cars, one a handgun, and the other a rifle. Next, came orders being barked out from several people, both fore and aft. I couldn't tell you how many units were there at that point, but it was more than five, and from several agencies. They began giving me conflicting orders because they weren't at all in sync, but I yelled out that I have a hearing problem and told them that they were not being consistent. You know, one guy is yelling don't move, and another is yelling put your hands out away from your body, etc, etc.
    I ended up face down on Folsom Blvd on the hot pavement with probably a hundred cars stopped on both directions watching this. They cuffed me, and started drilling me with a few questions, to which I just answered that I was going to the gun range. they got me up and walked me to the car, put me in and then drove off the street to a business parking lot. There was some discussions to the effect they just needed to check me out and make sure that I was or wasn't something. So there I sat in the back of a unit with several others inspecting my gear, my rifle, my rounds, and a few other personal effects. Every so often one would come and tell me it wasn't going to take long. After a bit someone came and asked where I lived, home address, because I don't have that on anything I had with me. My license has a PO box, and they found that stashed in a side pocket of my little camera case. I don't care that they know where I live, so I gave them my street. They asked if the gun was registered to me at that address, and I doubt that really, having moved once since we bought that twenty years or more back. One smart ass cop, and I don't remember which one made an off handed comment as to my hearing loss as he shook my hearing protection in front of me. Something to the effect of "If he's deaf, he doesn't need these". I let that one go, because when your half deaf you get people making stupid comments from time to time, but anyone that shoots at a range, even a smart ass, is required to wear hearing protection, even if you're born with no ears. Them's the rules out there. So after a little time someone came and got me out and said that I was going to be freed, but also started questioning me about where I was going, and what I was doing. There was some rhetorical question about me testing them, to which I just told them I was actually testing myself. I reiterated that I was going to the range and gearing up for the season, to which another said the range is like 10 miles from here. He asked if I would like a ride there, to which I flatly refused, and I told them I was well aware of the distance and that exercise was part of the plan. I reminded whomever it was I was standing next to that I was told I was to be freed, and didn't like being lectured while wearing handcuffs. So I was released, and there was some further questioning of my judgement in a veiled sense. One cop said I should at least open the bolt on my rifle as I walked, but I mentioned I had ten miles alongside the road and I wasn't about to get dirt in there. Another pointed out that my route was to take me through a bad part of town, and I reminded him that I have lived in the bad part of town here for quite awhile. Actually, the part he was referring to is somewhat worse alright, but at least it's a busy street and there would be witnesses to call for ambulances or whatever. I was allowed to gather up my stuff, re-sling the rifle, and headed out with a few of them still shaking their heads as if they did not believe I was going to complete my hike. I headed back down Folsom Blvd at a little increase in speed, having lost a half hour or so with that episode. I saw quite a few units pass me from time to time for the next hour or more, but maybe they were keeping an eye on me for safety reasons.
    So that was the cop encounter for the tour, but that's also not the end of the discourse for the day. I'll catch you up on that tomorrow, because I still had nine miles of city slickers to go. Just to recap though, there were many units that ended up responding, CHP, County sheriff, and City police. I didn't get hurt or anything, but my good pair of glasses were scratched up pretty good while I was down on the pavement. I am a little more concerned than yesterday about the manner in which gun owners are percieved, and the loss of what I consider our better ways of life

They over stepped here, big time. You have a good case for 4th A. Just because you had an .06 instead of a handgun, All they are to do is an E-check and release.

NO papers please,
    NO felony prone
    No damage to your glasses
    No bull ****

Should have been 2-3 minutes tops

Angry Dump found cops

Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
    ... One smart ass cop, and I don't remember which one made an off handed comment as to my hearing loss as he shook my hearing protection in front of me. Something to the effect of "If he's deaf, he doesn't need these". I let that one go, because when your half deaf you get people making stupid comments from time to time, but anyone that shoots at a range, even a smart ass, is required to wear hearing protection, even if you're born with no ears.
    There is a big difference between sound and pressure. If deaf have ear drums, they can feeling the ear drums in painfully from the pressure and as well in deep underwater.

This is perhaps the largest police response to the non-crime of possessing and carrying a firearm since San Pedro (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...stop-4-January). I wonder if they dispatched a helo as well.

Three departments responding code three, lights and sirens to draw down on a single person carrying a rifle slung on his back based on 911 reports describing innocent behavior absent any hostile action. Florida v. J.L. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_v._J.L..) shows that this was a bad search, police having exceeded their authority to inspect the firearm through 12031(e) by putting him to the ground and running him for wants and warrants, running the rifle serial for stolen and tossing his belongings to find contraband. Even if they found something that could be construed as criminal, it would be inadmissable.

Add to this the conflicting commands that could not be readily heard by the detainee. Perhaps it wouldnt be so difficult to sort out who to obey if they didnt send a battalion of deputies and officers to 'investigate'. This was a potential Erik Scott situation- (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunned-...to-erik-scott/) requiring a detainee to comply with commands from different officers to end up shot for disobeying one, while obeying another.

Im pleased you made it out alive...But it appears your local constabulary mistook you for a Mumbai-style terrorist.
    Last edited by ConditionThree; 10-03-2010 at 12:24 AM.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    They over stepped here, big time. You have a good case for 4th A. Just because you had an .06 instead of a handgun, All they are to do is an E-check and release.

NO papers please,
    NO felony prone
    No damage to your glasses
    No bull ****

Should have been 2-3 minutes tops
    Hah! I'm not interested in any lawsuit. One thing worse than cops getting into your ****, is lawyers getting into your ****. All those depositions, and testimonies where they want to know how it hurts, where it hurts, didn't you get hurt when you were six, and the real cause was that...etc. Then, the lawyer gets half the money, the tax man gets half of my half, and the county and state raise up my taxes and fees to cover the losses, plus a little more for reserve. I'd be lucky to end up with enough positive to by enough gas to head outa town before I ended up on the waffle list for my next cop encounter. NO THANKS! I don't really hate the cops, and that wasn't by far the worst thing government has done to me in life, so I'm just going to learn a little from this and tune my next tour(s) for effect. Lawsuits are getting so pedestrian these days. Some chunky woman goes to the carnival weight guesser at the fair and gets her feelings hurt, and the next thing you know she's suing for millions in emotional distress. I'm sure that all these cops would rather see us all tucked in our neat little homes at all times so when they encounter anyone out on the street they can be sure they're a criminal. But they got us, and we got rights, so it's a bit of give and take out there. They are learning it seems, and I'm pushing 60 these days, so I can remember getting much worse treatment by less compassionate cops. (anyone else from the anti-war protests era?)
    All the work a lot of you are doing out there is making changes for the better. Maybe this will help a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Question.....Did you pass through any school zones ? It is my understanding that long guns are exempt from the 1000ft school zone law.
    As far as I can tell, the locals don't enforce the federal law, and the state law is relevant to concealable weapons. However, I don't want to be the unlucky one who encounters a federal agent on his way to the car wash when I'm going past the school zone, so I charted a course that was clearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    I wonder if they dispatched a helo as well.
    No, it's highly unlikely. Our sheriff grounded the fleet due to budgetary shortages, and the only other one would have been the CHP, but I didn't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Add to this the conflicting commands that could not be readily heard by the detainee. Perhaps it wouldnt be so difficult to sort out who to obey if they didnt send a battalion of deputies and officers to 'investigate'. This was a potential Erik Scott situation- (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunned-...to-erik-scott/) requiring a detainee to comply with commands from different officers to end up shot for disobeying one, while obeying another.

Im pleased you made it out alive...But it appears your local constabulary mistook you for a Mumbai-style terrorist.
    This is by far my biggest concern about this encounter. Too many different agencies, and no single person giving orders. Bad program if you ask me. Once one person fires, that could easily trigger a volley by others. That plus the hearing issue. I may send a letter of interest about that.
    I also am concerned about how people are reacting to someone like me. That's not the cops fault, but we really have to work on getting more good people carrying guns in public. As it is now, every time someone is seen or heard from with a gun in public it is a bad guy committing a crime. The truth is that there are exponentially more law abiding gun users out there than criminals with guns. It's not hard to see why anyone with a gun in public is automatically assumed to be doing something wrong. Diluting the field some more is probably the best way to fix that short of arresting and incarcerating more bad guys.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Hah! I'm not interested in any lawsuit. One thing worse than cops getting into your ****, is lawyers getting into your ****. ...
    First of all, sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Absent a 4A lawsuit, what is the deterent for keeping LEO from doing this in the future? All you have done is reinforced their unlawful behavior.

Maybe next time, you should give them a call ahead of time so that they can get some of their rookies set up to do some training on you?! Hopefully, the conflicting commands will not result in something more damaging than a scratched pair of glasses.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Looking forward to reading about the remainder of the day! Sorry to hear your rights were trampled. For the most part I agree with you about lawsuits being frivolous, but I feel that citizens have a duty to correct their government when it makes a mistake. In this way we can nip bad behavior in the bud and prevent others from suffering from similar injustices.

When is the next long gun outing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post
    First of all, sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Absent a 4A lawsuit, what is the deterent for keeping LEO from doing this in the future? All you have done is reinforced their unlawful behavior.
    No, I don't think that's true. What I do think is that this area has slid into the abyss of sheepdom. We are the west, and we are supposed to be brash, fearless, and adventurous. When people are shocked and shivered to their very timbers over the sight of a standard issue bolt action rifle from the 50's, they've become New York pussified. I don't know how many people called them, but based upon the passers'by that I observed, it was probably in the hundreds. The only thing I have reinforced is the memory of our way of life and the spirit of our western flavor. I doubt seriously that those cops are thinking they showed me a thing or two, and I don't think the same thing will be happening next time. I may have surprised them a little, but a lot of cops are just as concerned as many of us are about our individual rights and our way of life. I don't know that each of them thinks that way, but I cannot believe they'd all be pleased to have found out they shot someone over some bad information or misinterpretation. I know in our case here in Sac, they are understaffed and overwhelmed with really bad people. The last thing they want is to shoot a taxpayer who might be in their corner otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    When is the next long gun outing?
    Depends on my strength. Turns out I was a little more out of shape then I thought. I think the next weekend would be best, but I could be nursing some sore muscles for longer than I thought. The first 50 years didn't treat me this way. I'd be glad to have company though, should there be any interest.
    Last edited by AyatollahGondola; 10-03-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Looking forward to reading about the remainder of the day!
    Yeah, I'll be happy to relay more tomorrow. For now I can tell you that the cops were not the only ones to give me some **** about this. Turns out the gun range wasn't too pleased about my hike either.

Lightbulb

Let's not make a habit of posting long gun OC threads. Per the forum rules, long gun OC is off-topic for this entire site and forum. I think Mike and John would make an exception for this thread, since you are relating a story about something legally significant that recently occurred, but the forum owners do not currently want advocacy for, or encouragement of, long gun OC on this board. I could myself make an argument against that policy, but those are the rules we play by on their forum.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by wewd View Post
    Let's not make a habit of posting long gun OC threads. Per the forum rules, long gun OC is off-topic for this entire site and forum. I think Mike and John would make an exception for this thread, since you are relating a story about something legally significant that recently occurred, but the forum owners do not currently want advocacy for, or encouragement of, long gun OC on this board. I could myself make an argument against that policy, but those are the rules we play by on their forum.
    Had no idea that was the case really.

Keep rolling about the "firearms" problem with the cops

Had no idea that was the case really.
    Don't mind them, let's the mod handle it. Since this isn't about long guns OC group or movement planned.

I drove by you on Bradshaw

I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that I have read your post I saw you on Bradshaw just before the Jack in the Box there. I didn't hear the LE respond or catch any of it; guess I was too far away when it occurred. It's just interesting to know I was right there just moments before. Had I been LE I might have asked where you were going and left it at that.

Looking forward to reading about the remainder of the day! Sorry to hear your rights were trampled. For the most part I agree with you about lawsuits being frivolous, but I feel that citizens have a duty to correct their government when it makes a mistake. In this way we can nip bad behavior in the bud and prevent others from suffering from similar
    Even if you are not seeking monetary gain because of the hassle of taxes and lawyers, wouldn't seeking at the very least a formal apology from the officers who responded and their personal acknowledgment that they did commit a violation be something worth while to correct governmental behavior. Sometimes this is enough rather than a full fledge Lawsuit. And besides the individual cops appoligizing the various heads of departments should also formally apologize. Maybe having to get up in front of the public and admit to doing wrong and suffering a little humility might be enough to encourage better training and response.

I decided to take advantage of the lull between the hot, and the soon to arrive stormy weather and go for a hike to the gun range today. I needed to prepare for hunting season, and the best way is to suit up and practice a little. You don't want your first day out in the field to be the testing ground for you and your gear, because it usually costs some dough to go on safari, and these days, that's a big concern. You could end up spending a hundred or two, and come home empty handed, and with pulled muscles or who knows what other ailments. Before I went abalone diving for the first time each year, I always took a quick check out dive locally for the same reasons.

So I put on my hiking boots, grabbed my 30.06 and 20 rounds in a waistband carrier, along with a bottle of water and a small amount of cash for range fees and emergencies. I slung the .06 across my back and headed out from home shortly after noon.

My route was a little less than "as the crow flies" due to school zones, but I guessed the trip was 10 miles one way. The temperature was hot, but not unbearable, and the sun was beating down pretty good, but that's one of the hazards you may have to endure if you hunt in the warmer parts of the north state. I had to cross the freeway almost immediately and then headed for the straight line of Folsom blvd. Folsom was to be the straighest and longest leg of the tour. Traffic was pretty heavy actually, and it wasn't long before I found myself waiting to cross several lights, most on the freeway onramps.

I had made it a little past Bradshaw road, and only about a half mile from home when I heard sirens and suddenly saw two different units in the oncoming side of traffic. I swear I thought they were headed elsewhere, because one looked like he was passing the other, but I found out that I was their call. Turns out there were several more behind me, but I am deaf in one side, and was concentrating on the two that were in my immediate front. Those two stopped and took up firing positions from their cars, one a handgun, and the other a rifle.

Next, came orders being barked out from several people, both fore and aft. I couldn't tell you how many units were there at that point, but it was more than five, and from several agencies. They began giving me conflicting orders because they weren't at all in sync, but I yelled out that I have a hearing problem and told them that they were not being consistent. You know, one guy is yelling don't move, and another is yelling put your hands out away from your body, etc, etc.

I ended up face down on Folsom Blvd on the hot pavement with probably a hundred cars stopped on both directions watching this. They cuffed me, and started drilling me with a few questions, to which I just answered that I was going to the gun range. they got me up and walked me to the car, put me in and then drove off the street to a business parking lot. There was some discussions to the effect they just needed to check me out and make sure that I was or wasn't something.

So there I sat in the back of a unit with several others inspecting my gear, my rifle, my rounds, and a few other personal effects. Every so often one would come and tell me it wasn't going to take long. After a bit someone came and asked where I lived, home address, because I don't have that on anything I had with me. My license has a PO box, and they found that stashed in a side pocket of my little camera case. I don't care that they know where I live, so I gave them my street. They asked if the gun was registered to me at that address, and I doubt that really, having moved once since we bought that twenty years or more back.

One smart ass cop, and I don't remember which one made an off handed comment as to my hearing loss as he shook my hearing protection in front of me. Something to the effect of "If he's deaf, he doesn't need these". I let that one go, because when your half deaf you get people making stupid comments from time to time, but anyone that shoots at a range, even a smart ass, is required to wear hearing protection, even if you're born with no ears. Them's the rules out there.

So after a little time someone came and got me out and said that I was going to be freed, but also started questioning me about where I was going, and what I was doing. There was some rhetorical question about me testing them, to which I just told them I was actually testing myself. I reiterated that I was going to the range and gearing up for the season, to which another said the range is like 10 miles from here. He asked if I would like a ride there, to which I flatly refused, and I told them I was well aware of the distance and that exercise was part of the plan.

I reminded whomever it was I was standing next to that I was told I was to be freed, and didn't like being lectured while wearing handcuffs. So I was released, and there was some further questioning of my judgement in a veiled sense. One cop said I should at least open the bolt on my rifle as I walked, but I mentioned I had ten miles alongside the road and I wasn't about to get dirt in there.

Another pointed out that my route was to take me through a bad part of town, and I reminded him that I have lived in the bad part of town here for quite awhile. Actually, the part he was referring to is somewhat worse alright, but at least it's a busy street and there would be witnesses to call for ambulances or whatever. I was allowed to gather up my stuff, re-sling the rifle, and headed out with a few of them still shaking their heads as if they did not believe I was going to complete my hike.

I headed back down Folsom Blvd at a little increase in speed, having lost a half hour or so with that episode. I saw quite a few units pass me from time to time for the next hour or more, but maybe they were keeping an eye on me for safety reasons.
    So that was the cop encounter for the tour, but that's also not the end of the discourse for the day. I'll catch you up on that tomorrow, because I still had nine miles of city slickers to go.

Just to recap though, there were many units that ended up responding, CHP, County sheriff, and City police. I didn't get hurt or anything, but my good pair of glasses were scratched up pretty good while I was down on the pavement. I am a little more concerned than yesterday about the manner in which gun owners are percieved, and the loss of what I consider our better ways of life
    Please at least ask the relevant agencies to replace your damaged glasses!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooelf View Post
    I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that I have read your post I saw you on Bradshaw just before the Jack in the Box there. I didn't hear the LE respond or catch any of it; guess I was too far away when it occurred. It's just interesting to know I was right there just moments before. Had I been LE I might have asked where you were going and left it at that.
    Well how about that! You just missed it all by a few minutes then. That LEO response was just around the corner on Folsom past the tire store.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooelf View Post
    Even if you are not seeking monetary gain because of the hassle of taxes and lawyers, wouldn't seeking at the very least a formal apology from the officers who responded and their personal acknowledgment that they did commit a violation be something worth while to correct governmental behavior. Sometimes this is enough rather than a full fledge Lawsuit. And besides the individual cops appoligizing the various heads of departments should also formally apologize. Maybe having to get up in front of the public and admit to doing wrong and suffering a little humility might be enough to encourage better training and response.
    Ah...I don't know. Cops around here are so short of funding I'm almost glad to see they respond to anything these days. Who knows what the callers were telling them. I going to request the reports and such just for public interest, but I don't see what good will come out of asking for apologies yet. I will admit that what I did is an unusual sight in the city these days, so I can't hold them entirely at fault this time. If it was habitual, then I'd be inclined to go that route. I'm going to address the scarier parts with them in relation to too many people giving conflicting orders, and a little overkill on the response. De-stigmatizing the sight of people carrying guns is going to be a slow moving task, and I think it would be best to work with the cops.... at first anyway.
    the glasses are 20.00, and even as poor as I am these days I'll find the money.

If you do not want to stand up for your 4A rights let alone 2A rights that have been murdered in your city, I say we don't need you trying to say you stand with us.

Even if you do not file a lawsuit, ,file a claim. Make it so THEY know they did wrong. You can not teach them how to be better if they do not know they did it wrong.

Send letters to every dept that was there. Chief of police, station commander of the chp, sheriff, etc.

They must know, in writing, that the practice of intimidation will not and can not be allowed to continue.

OK, so after my detainment was over, and I gathered up my stuff, I asked the cops whether they were going to ticket me for jaywalking if I crossed the street to pick up my route again. One told me to go back to the crosswalk, but backtracking didn't seem efficient, so I headed east again without the protection of shade trees. After about a half mile I found another light to cross, and headed to the shadier side of the street. As I cross, and being half deaf I've learned the hard way that you have to look all around you because the normal sound warnings are not there, I had plenty of opportunity to look at everyone. Many, many people were astounded by the very sight of a slung rifle in public. You could also see them on cell phones, most likely dialing 911. I resumed my eastward direction and picked up the pace to make up lost time. The heat was becoming more apparent by now, and the trees started getting fewer in between. I passed a homeless looking chap with a pit bull on a leash, but he just smiled. Soon a car rolled up behind me and when I glanced back he was on the cell phone. After a bit he passed me at a good clip. Next I passed a light rail station with numerous people disembarking, Most were younger kids, and had the "what the hell" look on their faces. One guy said "that guys just walkin' around with a rifle". I passed a few more lights and crosswalks, at which many more people gawked, and several more got on their cells. Only got a couple of honks the whole trip, but amazement was probably the most common, with surprise next, and bafflement third. I'll bet the cops got a hundred calls after I left them. I made my way across the freeway again to head up Zinfandel drive and take it to White Rock. On the down side of the overpass I waited for a light, and a car with a mother and her probably eight year old son stopped for the light. The kid's mouth fell open and got all wide-eyed in surprise, and that soon got mom's attention, and they both soon smiled. That was probably the most positive response I had all day!
    I made my way up White Rock without any real problems and being a little less traffic, I saw less aghast people. As I passed a sign waver on the corner of White Rock and Sunrise, many people were staring at me from inside and outside of the Burger King on the corner. I guess those sign wavers do really get people's attention.
    By now, my shoulder is showing signs of wear from the sling, and I've slowed a little in pace. My one bottle of water is nearing the end, and it's still plenty hot. I was sweating profusely, and my upper shirt was half drenched. It was about here when I started questioning my ability to make the gun range, as my legs were tired, and i was developing some blisters on the feet. I pressed on, and only ran across a road construction crew alongside Sunrise Blvd. One hard hat guy smiled and waved. I could now see the gun range ahead and tried to pick up my pace after downing the last swig of water. The range is set back on Douglas, and I decided to take a shortcut through the open field as opposed to going all the way around. After about ten or so minutes of trudging through dried grass and weeds, I noticed I was suddenly amid broken skeet. A quick look around and I realized I was at the outer end of the shotgun range, and luckily nobody was using it. I tried a course deviation that would take me along the outer edges of the broken skeet pattern, and then walked up behind that part of the range. Somewhere along here a rangemaster met me and asked why I was on the range like that. I told him I had no idea that was the case until I saw the skeet, and also told him there was not fences or even a sign anywhere from that direction. He started telling me that I shouldn't walk on any fields out here because there was no public land, and that it was all private yada yadda..(not true either, as there is a huge regional park just up the street).
    So then he asked how I got there, and I told him I walked. Then he asked me a rhetorical question in regards to whether I walked with my rifle that way, and didn't the cops meet up with me. I mentioned that I had encountered the police, and that it was not particularly pleasant, but I made the trip anyway. Next, he asked why I was here. I told him I came to use the rifle range, to which he said that they might not let me shoot because I broke the rules and was on the skeet range. I reminded him I was not aware that I was entering the range, and reminded him again that there were no signs or fences, and also asked what happens if some kids get in there that way. As we walked towards the office he asked how was I getting back, and by now, I wasn't sure if I was able to walk, so I told him it depended on how I felt after I shoot. He once again made a comment about maybe I wasn't going to be able to use the range because of the manner in which I arrived. After a minute he said they were going to let me shoot, but handed me a one page document in relation to the rules, and demanded I read the entire thing first. No problem; and nothing on their about open carry, but you could tell that was an issue now. He asked if I had hearing protection, and I pointed to the counter where I had placed my equipment. He said he could rent me some if I didn't have any, and then made a point of telling me he could sell me a case for the rifle, and stood there with this condescending look waiting for me to answer that "with ok, let me see what you got." You could tell that this sort of public display is not something they care for, and certainly don't like. I was a bit taken aback by this flavor at a gun shop. I paid my range fees, bought another bottle of water and headed out. From here it was clear sailing with the exception of too much sweat getting in my eyes for the next 30 minutes or so, and in my tired and weakened condition, the steel buttplate on my rifle quickly took a toll on my shoulder. The light t-shirt was no help either. There was no 1 inch grouping today, but did manage to keep them all on the target and within acceptable game kill standards at 100 yards.
    I called for a ride home, and my wife came shortly after. The walk was over ten miles, and I'd place it closer to eleven with all the zig-zagging. I'm definately out of shape and requiring some rest today, but planning to make the trip again soon, although I am going to give the dispatchers a courtesy call next time.
    Last edited by AyatollahGondola; 10-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    If you do not want to stand up for your 4A rights let alone 2A rights that have been murdered in your city, I say we don't need you trying to say you stand with us.

Even if you do not file a lawsuit, ,file a claim. Make it so THEY know they did wrong. You can not teach them how to be better if they do not know they did it wrong.

Send letters to every dept that was there. Chief of police, station commander of the chp, sheriff, etc.

They must know, in writing, that the practice of intimidation will not and can not be allowed to continue.
    Oh c'mon now. First off, I don't see how there is a one size fits all response to their actions. I'm not ready to go on the attack just yet. First off, I'm not convinced at all that there was any real initimidation going one here. Aside from the undeserved smart ass comment cop, the rest have to be assumed to be following procedures that they were taught, and hacking on individual cops or small groups of them is not always the most effective remedy. I'm quite active on other political issues, and although I'm hardly an expert, I've been on the receiving end of some real intimidation before. If this event becomes the norm, then I'd say your way may be best. I think it's early for that at this point. If it doesn't work out, then you can say I told you so, providing I'm still alive and you still consider me "one of us"

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    I'll bet the cops got a hundred calls after I left them.
    That's a good thing. Hopefully that means a hundred callers got schooled on the legality of open carry, regardless of handgun or long-gun. It also seems that several, if not many, LEOs received some valuable training. All in all good job. Carry on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast