• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urban Rifle Hike

AyatollahGondola

I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that I have read your post I saw you on Bradshaw just before the Jack in the Box there. I didn't hear the LE respond or catch any of it; guess I was too far away when it occurred. It's just interesting to know I was right there just moments before. Had I been LE I might have asked where you were going and left it at that.

Well how about that! You just missed it all by a few minutes then. That LEO response was just around the corner on Folsom past the tire store.

AyatollahGondola

Even if you are not seeking monetary gain because of the hassle of taxes and lawyers, wouldn't seeking at the very least a formal apology from the officers who responded and their personal acknowledgment that they did commit a violation be something worth while to correct governmental behavior. Sometimes this is enough rather than a full fledge Lawsuit. And besides the individual cops appoligizing the various heads of departments should also formally apologize. Maybe having to get up in front of the public and admit to doing wrong and suffering a little humility might be enough to encourage better training and response.

Ah...I don't know. Cops around here are so short of funding I'm almost glad to see they respond to anything these days. Who knows what the callers were telling them. I going to request the reports and such just for public interest, but I don't see what good will come out of asking for apologies yet. I will admit that what I did is an unusual sight in the city these days, so I can't hold them entirely at fault this time. If it was habitual, then I'd be inclined to go that route. I'm going to address the scarier parts with them in relation to too many people giving conflicting orders, and a little overkill on the response. De-stigmatizing the sight of people carrying guns is going to be a slow moving task, and I think it would be best to work with the cops.... at first anyway.
the glasses are 20.00, and even as poor as I am these days I'll find the money.

Iopencarry

If you do not want to stand up for your 4A rights let alone 2A rights that have been murdered in your city, I say we don't need you trying to say you stand with us.

Even if you do not file a lawsuit, ,file a claim. Make it so THEY know they did wrong. You can not teach them how to be better if they do not know they did it wrong.

Send letters to every dept that was there. Chief of police, station commander of the chp, sheriff, etc.

They must know, in writing, that the practice of intimidation will not and can not be allowed to continue.

AyatollahGondola

OK, so after my detainment was over, and I gathered up my stuff, I asked the cops whether they were going to ticket me for jaywalking if I crossed the street to pick up my route again. One told me to go back to the crosswalk, but backtracking didn't seem efficient, so I headed east again without the protection of shade trees. After about a half mile I found another light to cross, and headed to the shadier side of the street. As I cross, and being half deaf I've learned the hard way that you have to look all around you because the normal sound warnings are not there, I had plenty of opportunity to look at everyone. Many, many people were astounded by the very sight of a slung rifle in public. You could also see them on cell phones, most likely dialing 911. I resumed my eastward direction and picked up the pace to make up lost time. The heat was becoming more apparent by now, and the trees started getting fewer in between. I passed a homeless looking chap with a pit bull on a leash, but he just smiled. Soon a car rolled up behind me and when I glanced back he was on the cell phone. After a bit he passed me at a good clip. Next I passed a light rail station with numerous people disembarking, Most were younger kids, and had the "what the hell" look on their faces. One guy said "that guys just walkin' around with a rifle". I passed a few more lights and crosswalks, at which many more people gawked, and several more got on their cells. Only got a couple of honks the whole trip, but amazement was probably the most common, with surprise next, and bafflement third. I'll bet the cops got a hundred calls after I left them. I made my way across the freeway again to head up Zinfandel drive and take it to White Rock. On the down side of the overpass I waited for a light, and a car with a mother and her probably eight year old son stopped for the light. The kid's mouth fell open and got all wide-eyed in surprise, and that soon got mom's attention, and they both soon smiled. That was probably the most positive response I had all day!
I made my way up White Rock without any real problems and being a little less traffic, I saw less aghast people. As I passed a sign waver on the corner of White Rock and Sunrise, many people were staring at me from inside and outside of the Burger King on the corner. I guess those sign wavers do really get people's attention.
By now, my shoulder is showing signs of wear from the sling, and I've slowed a little in pace. My one bottle of water is nearing the end, and it's still plenty hot. I was sweating profusely, and my upper shirt was half drenched. It was about here when I started questioning my ability to make the gun range, as my legs were tired, and i was developing some blisters on the feet. I pressed on, and only ran across a road construction crew alongside Sunrise Blvd. One hard hat guy smiled and waved. I could now see the gun range ahead and tried to pick up my pace after downing the last swig of water. The range is set back on Douglas, and I decided to take a shortcut through the open field as opposed to going all the way around. After about ten or so minutes of trudging through dried grass and weeds, I noticed I was suddenly amid broken skeet. A quick look around and I realized I was at the outer end of the shotgun range, and luckily nobody was using it. I tried a course deviation that would take me along the outer edges of the broken skeet pattern, and then walked up behind that part of the range. Somewhere along here a rangemaster met me and asked why I was on the range like that. I told him I had no idea that was the case until I saw the skeet, and also told him there was not fences or even a sign anywhere from that direction. He started telling me that I shouldn't walk on any fields out here because there was no public land, and that it was all private yada yadda..(not true either, as there is a huge regional park just up the street).
So then he asked how I got there, and I told him I walked. Then he asked me a rhetorical question in regards to whether I walked with my rifle that way, and didn't the cops meet up with me. I mentioned that I had encountered the police, and that it was not particularly pleasant, but I made the trip anyway. Next, he asked why I was here. I told him I came to use the rifle range, to which he said that they might not let me shoot because I broke the rules and was on the skeet range. I reminded him I was not aware that I was entering the range, and reminded him again that there were no signs or fences, and also asked what happens if some kids get in there that way. As we walked towards the office he asked how was I getting back, and by now, I wasn't sure if I was able to walk, so I told him it depended on how I felt after I shoot. He once again made a comment about maybe I wasn't going to be able to use the range because of the manner in which I arrived. After a minute he said they were going to let me shoot, but handed me a one page document in relation to the rules, and demanded I read the entire thing first. No problem; and nothing on their about open carry, but you could tell that was an issue now. He asked if I had hearing protection, and I pointed to the counter where I had placed my equipment. He said he could rent me some if I didn't have any, and then made a point of telling me he could sell me a case for the rifle, and stood there with this condescending look waiting for me to answer that "with ok, let me see what you got." You could tell that this sort of public display is not something they care for, and certainly don't like. I was a bit taken aback by this flavor at a gun shop. I paid my range fees, bought another bottle of water and headed out. From here it was clear sailing with the exception of too much sweat getting in my eyes for the next 30 minutes or so, and in my tired and weakened condition, the steel buttplate on my rifle quickly took a toll on my shoulder. The light t-shirt was no help either. There was no 1 inch grouping today, but did manage to keep them all on the target and within acceptable game kill standards at 100 yards.
I called for a ride home, and my wife came shortly after. The walk was over ten miles, and I'd place it closer to eleven with all the zig-zagging. I'm definately out of shape and requiring some rest today, but planning to make the trip again soon, although I am going to give the dispatchers a courtesy call next time.

Last edited:

AyatollahGondola

If you do not want to stand up for your 4A rights let alone 2A rights that have been murdered in your city, I say we don't need you trying to say you stand with us.

Even if you do not file a lawsuit, ,file a claim. Make it so THEY know they did wrong. You can not teach them how to be better if they do not know they did it wrong.

Send letters to every dept that was there. Chief of police, station commander of the chp, sheriff, etc.

They must know, in writing, that the practice of intimidation will not and can not be allowed to continue.

Oh c'mon now. First off, I don't see how there is a one size fits all response to their actions. I'm not ready to go on the attack just yet. First off, I'm not convinced at all that there was any real initimidation going one here. Aside from the undeserved smart ass comment cop, the rest have to be assumed to be following procedures that they were taught, and hacking on individual cops or small groups of them is not always the most effective remedy. I'm quite active on other political issues, and although I'm hardly an expert, I've been on the receiving end of some real intimidation before. If this event becomes the norm, then I'd say your way may be best. I think it's early for that at this point. If it doesn't work out, then you can say I told you so, providing I'm still alive and you still consider me "one of us"

AyatollahGondola

I'd like to clear a thing or two up here.

I realize these cops went farther than they should with the search, and the encounter. We've got an anti-gun lobby in this state that has been successfully demonizing guns for a couple decades. Add to that, we have a federal government willing to look the other way, if not actually encouraging, foreign people of questionable loyalties and motives to reside here among us. We're always on guard for terrorists now, and I'm certain the cops are getting weekly bulletins that we never hear about with all types of ominous warnings and elevated threats. Add to that the rash of criminals taking out their frustations on family, employers, church goers, and school yards. Then we have us, with our rights and our lifestyles. In between us, the federal scare machine, the ones losing their grip, and the criminals, ...is the cops. These are our cops, and I don't want to push them into the anti-gun camp, or give them reason to side with the feds over us. First thing I'd like to do is reach out to them and keep them in our camp and give them plenty of reason to be our partners.

slowfiveoh

I read your entire experience, and I have to ask what is wrong with you?

I am hoping that the police are now following you around, and/or constructing an argument against you. Perhaps if you have a Concealed Carry Permit they can revoke it immediately.

Anybody who walks down the street with a long gun is obviously up to no good, or is attempting to test the law.

Furthermore, this is the carry of a long gun, that while lawful, is not the focus of this site.

Oh crap wait....this isn't the Tennessee forum? :lol:

I must have gotten lost!

Civil rights change when you change states.... :rolleyes:

AyatollahGondola

I am hoping that the police are now following you around, and/or constructing an argument against you. Perhaps if you have a Concealed Carry Permit they can revoke it immediately.

Anybody who walks down the street with a long gun is obviously up to no good, or is attempting to test the law.

Furthermore, this is the carry of a long gun, that while lawful, is not the focus of this site.

I must have gotten lost!

I take it you've been down this road before?

Thundar

I must have gotten lost!

Funny how much more tolerant they are in California.

slowfiveoh

Funny how much more tolerant they are in California.

This man got it.

Let's just say that Thundar is probably right. Perhaps when you're rights are as blatantly trampled on as they are in the state of California you wake up to the severe stupidity of some of the claims used against you.

"Oh no a long gun in a public place that is not a range? UNACCEPTABLE!"

Frankly, Mr. Ayatollah, I wish you the best on this endeavor, and I hope that you acquire no forum trolls, or other severely sick people following you around and trashing your name.

What the police did was blatantly wrong, and I hope that your "upbeat" outlook is a contributing factor towards getting police to recognize civil rights in Placer and Sacramento counties. (I was born and raised for over 22 years there. Loomis, Rocklin, Citrus Heights, Antelope, etc.).

Iopencarry

This is just bull **** on their part.

I do hope you go forward on this. If not a lawsuit, at least file a complaint.

They had visual contact on you long before they stopped you. Where you angry? or just overly tired from your walk?
They should have been able to tell.

Before they stopped you, they confirmed that you had earmuffs, and a gun strapped, ANY good officer could tell that the odds where a guy walking to the range.

It should have been a 2-3 minute E-check, that is all. Anything more is illegal.

AyatollahGondola

What? No reporting party information?

I think I would request to see the 911 logs for an exact number of calls reporting innocent behavior.

From the sheriff:

After a few of the calls are taken, and they make contact, they dismiss most other calls and don't log them. The 911 operator is a different story though. I sent an email to them requesting an address to make a request for records.

AyatollahGondola

They had visual contact on you long before they stopped you. Where you angry? or just overly tired from your walk?
They should have been able to tell. .

I think the "angry" description was from a person reporting me, and not LEO. I actually thought I kept a pretty good public face throughout the hike, and given the circumstances, even during my...uh..detainment

Some folks just let their imagination run away with things.