• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Belt Buckle carry

tk6151

I have a belt buckle holster that holds a 22 sa revolver, do you think the revolver in the belt buckle would be considered open carry since it is visible in front and from both sides?

mjones

I have a belt buckle holster that holds a 22 sa revolver, do you think the revolver in the belt buckle would be considered open carry since it is visible in front and from both sides?

I'm 99% sure there is a statute against this in CA...

Hmmm, looks like I am possibly mistaken - PC 12020 prohibits belt buckle knives and thats the section I was thinking of.

Also keep in mind that CA, unlike some states, does not have any form of 'visible from three sides' rule to determine open vs concealed. At best, that fact provides evidence that it's not concealed. At worst, it might be easy to argue that its concealed because its designed to look like its a decorative belt buckle.

Iopencarry

I personally would not wear it. However, I can find no law that says no. Might be case law, but then I do not know how to access the decades of case law files.

If you do decide to wear it, please have 10k in the bank, and a great lawyer on your speed dial. I believe you will need them both.

You might win in the end, but it will cost a lot in money and time to do it.

coolusername2007

From my understanding of the PCs, there is nothing that says the holstered firearm has to be visible from three sides. I believe this approach was strongly suggested to protect one from zealous prosecutors. And truth being told I never understood the concept due to the fact that regardless of where on your waist the sidearm is holstered it is visible from three sides.

Side carry --> visible from front, back, and respective side
Front carry --> visible from front, left side, and right side
Back carry --> visible from back, left and right

So other than making sure your gun is holstered and not concealed behind a belt buckle you should be good to go.