• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in Richmond?

Gunslinger

It looks like a CZ-75 variant to me, the variant with the 1911-ish grip shape. As you probably know, the CZ-75 and variants thereof are typically DA (thus the hammer down).

Don't think so. Wrong hammer type, Novak sights, 1911 style grip angle, backstrap and beavertail. CZ-75 have an unique grip angle, more Hi-Power than 1911, but curved backstrap.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Don't think so. Wrong hammer type, Novak sights, 1911 style grip angle, backstrap and beavertail. CZ-75 have an unique grip angle, more Hi-Power than 1911, but curved backstrap.
There is a variant of the CZ-75 like I described. Here's a pic:
PICT0389.jpg

Attachments

• CZ75B.jpg
    CZ75B.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

VApatriot

In case the OP needs any additional reassurance, I'll add that I have open carried in the city of Richmond several times, and I have never had a problem. I have also volunteered to help out with the VCDL booth at the Tea Party Convention on Saturday morning, and I will be open carrying (1911, cocked and locked). I always look forward to getting out of the Fairfax area and meeting some of the Richmond-area members.

Gunslinger

There is a variant of the CZ-75 like I described. Here's a pic:
PICT0389.jpg

Not familiar with that pistol. .40 S&W is an unusual caliber when you think of normally 9X19 CZ 75s. It could be one, as this looks much more like a 1911 than a CZ. Thanks for posting the pic. They obviously aren't Novak sights, but similiar, as is the hammer, though smaller, to a Commander style. Now I'm really curious...

PS If it is a CZ, that would explain the cheap grips. :>

Last edited:

Gunslinger

No grip safety visible in the photo. I vote CZ.

May be right. Looked to me like a Commander style "speed bump" was there, but on second glance, not so sure. CZ makes excellent pistols, but I'll stick with a 1911 or Hi-Power, although I enjoy shooting all of my guns, for PD they are time tested.

Ruby

May be right. Looked to me like a Commander style "speed bump" was there, but on second glance, not so sure. CZ makes excellent pistols, but I'll stick with a 1911 or Hi-Power, although I enjoy shooting all of my guns, for PD they are time tested.

Just wanted to comment that my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander is a 1911 and made by CZ. And no, it wasn't cheap. Over $1.000 when I bought it new. The grips are Cocobolo (probably not the correct spelling) wood.

Gunslinger

Just wanted to comment that my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander is a 1911 and made by CZ. And no, it wasn't cheap. Over $1.000 when I bought it new. The grips are Cocobolo (probably not the correct spelling) wood.

Cocobolo and rosewood are the same thing, I found out. I prefer walnut, like on my C series Hi-Power and colt Woodsman, but rosewood gives you lots of different graining, which is generally very attractive.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Cocobolo and rosewood are the same thing, .

They are not!

Well sort of ...sometimes.

Both woods are like saying pine. There is knotty pine, lobleaf pine, white pine, etc.

Rosewood and CoCobolo come from the Dalbergia tree.

There is a difference in true Rosewood and true Cocobolo though.

True Rosewood comes from
Dalbergia nigra
True Cocobolo comes from
Dalbergia retusa,

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They are not!

Both woods are like saying pine. There is knotty pine, lobleaf pine, white pine, etc.

True Rosewood comes from
Dalbergia nigra
True Cocobolo comes from
Dalbergia retusa,

Yep in the same family, but different genus I believe.

There are roughly a dozen species of true rose woods in the world. (Yes, they smell like roses when cut with a saw.) A partial list would include Tulip wood, King wood, Cocobolo, East Indian Rose wood, and Brazilian Rose wood. ............ The problem is that in the public mind, rose wood is cool, so it has long been over harvested. Because of this Brazilian Rose wood has been banned from importation to the United States for over twenty five years.
http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/cocobolo.htm

TFred

True Rosewood comes from Dalbergia nigra
True Cocobolo comes from
Dalbergia retusa,
From the wiki:

Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Fabales
Family: Fabaceae
Genus: Dalbergia
Species: D. nigra

When did they replace Phylum with Division? :eek:

King Philip Came Over For Good Soup!

I guess now it's King David.

:)

The geekier side of TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When did they replace Phylum with Division? :eek:

Phylum is apparently preferred again. In the real olden days, when I was in school phylum was the correct term.

In the old days the plant classification system used the term division instead of phylum. At the International Botanical Congress of 1993 it was decided that for plants both the terms division and phylum could be used. However, the trend now is for phylum to be used for all organisms.
http://www.backyardnature.net/classify.htm

TFred

Phylum is apparently preferred again. In the real olden days, when I was in school phylum was the correct term.

In the old days the plant classification system used the term division instead of phylum. At the International Botanical Congress of 1993 it was decided that for plants both the terms division and phylum could be used. However, the trend now is for phylum to be used for all organisms.
http://www.backyardnature.net/classify.htm
Ha, I learned it as Phylum as well. I guess you're old when they've not only changed science since you learned it, but then changed it back!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ha, I learned it as Phylum as well. I guess you're old when they've not only changed science since you learned it, but then changed it back!

TFred

As I recall from my high school years:eek:

Kingdom
Phyla
Phylum
class
order
family
genera
species

I can't believe I remember that:uhoh:

SicSemperTyrannis

Richmond: Open Carry Easy, Officers seem well-educated

I open carry in the City of Richmond several times per month. Never a problem. Every officer I've encountered - at least a dozen - has not batted an eye. Also, have open carried in the Library of Virginia and all around the business district many times - never a problem. Have open carried a few dozen times in Carytown over the last year or two as well.

Gunslinger

They are not!

True Rosewood comes from
Dalbergia nigra
True Cocobolo comes from
Dalbergia retusa,
Pine trees all have pine cones of some type. Rosewood/Cocobolo have similar grains. Close enough for government work. Actually, Cocobolo grips always seem a bit more expensive than plain Rosewood. Wasn't aware there were so many types of Rosewoods.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pine trees all have pine cones of some type. Rosewood/Cocobolo have similar grains. Close enough for government work. Actually, Cocobolo grips always seem a bit more expensive than plain Rosewood. Wasn't aware there were so many types of Rosewoods.

They're both oily tropical hardwoods.
Cocobolo is more brown than Rosewood which has a reddish cast.

They are both sensitizers and if you work with them long enough, you will develope an allergy. I have to wear a full suit, gloves and a respirator (Which means a full mask that encloses my head since I have a beard.)

About 5 years ago while finishing a knife handle it triggered an asthma attack that I nearly died from.

I wear the suit now!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Pine trees (a soft wood) are all conifers - needle or scaly "leaves" and contain their seeds within cones.
http://forestry.about.com/cs/treeid/a/con_tree_id.htm

Cocobolo/rosewoods are a completely different classification and are hardwoods.

Yes, you can develop serious allergic reaction to the oils in rosewoods - working with them can be a real problem. On the finished product where the wood has seasoned and been sealed in a protective coating/finish, the risk is generally negated.