• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in Richmond?

Snazuolu

I am going to the tea party convention this upcoming weekend, and i am wondering if one can CC while in Richmond. i had heard that richmond has some stricter rules about gun carrying. Also i am wondering if one is legally able to carry while attending political functions, OC or CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am going to the tea party convention this upcoming weekend, and i am wondering if one can CC while in Richmond. i had heard that richmond has some stricter rules about gun carrying. Also i am wondering if one is legally able to carry while attending political functions, OC or CC.

Municipalities have been preempted by statute since 2004. You may CC with a permit or OC w/o (except for certain excluded persons) throughout the state.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

The only other considerations are:

(1) private property - The Tea Party as the venue has said hand guns legally carried are OK

(2) Restricted facilities i.e. court rooms, jails etc as enumerated in § 18.2-308
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

(3) There is a restriction on the number of rounds (20) that you may have in your magazine in certain cities/counties if you do not have a CHP, but that is not likely to cause a problem for handguns. Check this out as it was likely why you heard what you did.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Bottom line - yes you can CC or OC throughout the state including the Convention Center which is owned by the City of Richmond. The venue as a private player may restrict if they so decide - The Tea Party is NOT restricting - so carry on. :D

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I am going to the tea party convention this upcoming weekend, and i am wondering if one can CC while in Richmond.

Welcome to the message board. Your question seems like it is for a CONCEALED CARRY message board instead of an OPEN CARRY message board. I see you are new to the board too.. spending some time reading and using the search function will help you tremendously as well.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yes you may CC in Richmond, proper permit held of course. And yes, you can CC or OC at political rallies providing state laws are adhered to as those which apply to restrictive places.

For your information, during the January Lobby Day in Richmond, there are well over a thousand people milling around armed, mostly open, and going through representatives' offices as well. No problems, everything was good to go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the message board. Your question seems like it is for a CONCEALED CARRY message board instead of an OPEN CARRY message board. I see you are new to the board too.. spending some time reading and using the search function will help you tremendously as well.

CC questions are welcome here as they relate to RKBA - but you are right that the primary focus is OC. The CCer of today is the OCer of tomorrow. Reading and studying for oneself is exactly why I provided the links.

While we are at it for the benefit of a newbie, no there isn't a law/statute that makes OC legal. It is the absence of any law restricting it that makes it legal - laws seldom are written to permit something.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Municipalities have been preempted by statute since 2004. You may CC with a permit or OC w/o (except for certain excluded persons) throughout the state.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

The only other considerations are:

(1) private property - The Tea Party as the venue has said hand guns legally carried are OK

(2) Restricted facilities i.e. court rooms, jails etc as enumerated in § 18.2-308
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

(3) There is a restriction on the number of rounds (20) that you may have in your magazine in certain cities/counties if you do not have a CHP, but that is not likely to cause a problem for handguns. Check this out as it was likely why you heard what you did.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Bottom line - yes you can CC or OC throughout the state including the Convention Center which is owned by the City of Richmond. The venue as a private player may restrict if they so decide - The Tea Party is NOT restricting - so carry on. :D

Either way. This was at the Coliseum
This was the Republican Convention
rr1.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While we are on the issue of 15.2-915 -- While I'm pleased that the Tea Party Convention announced that cary was permitted at their event being held at the Richmond Convention Center, I'd like to know if this is another "Well, we'll let your folks do it if you pay us another $XK for additional security (and we really don't want bad press from a group as likely to get the attention of the press if we didn't cave in and allow it)" or has someone actually decided that the Convention Center is public property like the Coliseum?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While we are on the issue of 15.2-915 -- While I'm pleased that the Tea Party Convention announced that cary was permitted at their event being held at the Richmond Convention Center, I'd like to know if this is another "Well, we'll let your folks do it if you pay us another $XK for additional security (and we really don't want bad press from a group as likely to get the attention of the press if we didn't cave in and allow it)" or has someone actually decided that the Convention Center is public property like the Coliseum?

stay safe.

Id like to know too Skid.
Since the Teaparty has changed its colors about guns, I wish I could go to the convention.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

stay safe.

Since the Teaparty has changed its colors about guns, I wish I could go to the convention.

As I understand the circumstances - the City of Richmond owns both the Coliseum and the Convention Center. The same management company is operating both of these municipally owned properties. Neither the city nor their management company may regulate/control guns on these properties per 15.2-915.

So unless the venue/lessee actively chooses to restrict the carry of guns, the conditions have not been altered. They only need to remain silent on the question; therefore there is no new risk present.

What we have asked before merits revisiting - Is the mgt. company suggesting or promoting "no guns allowed" wherever and whenever they can? Are they going beyond the boundries and leading to a negative response via charging a premium or applying unwarranted pressure? The city has demonstrated their complacency by NOT taking action when this has been pointed out to them repeatedly.

I for one would like to see a standard "application" to lease either or both of these facilities. Such would be very telling if a question or statement regarding guns were part of the process or conversation.

Dreamer

Grape,

One thing you forgot to mention about weird Richmond restrictions is threaded barrels. You can't carry a handgun with a threaded barrel in Richmond unless you have a CHP...

VA 18.2-287.4
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol ...... designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer ..... on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to ..... any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

I've considered getting a threaded barrel for my Para and Glock so I could swap it in JUST for carrying in Richmond...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape,

One thing you forgot to mention about weird Richmond restrictions is threaded barrels. You can't carry a handgun with a threaded barrel in Richmond unless you have a CHP...........

True and I didn't mention folding stocks or limit on shells in a shotgun, but did give the link to 18.2-287.4. and encouraged him to read it. ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Peter - you can go if you want to. Tee approval was for either method of carry. (In case you were thinking that only the other kind was going to be allowed.)

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Peter - you can go if you want to. Tee approval was for either method of carry. (In case you were thinking that only the other kind was going to be allowed.)

stay safe.

Peter may be confined to a tree stand for the duration....or at least until the water recedes. :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter may be confined to a tree stand for the duration....or at least until the water recedes. :uhoh:

Yep!
Deer season until after January.

There isn't a lot of time left after some political discussions. There is a very dangerous local election going on down south and I've managed to talk two bills out of being prefiled in the neighboring county.

Add the fall and winter maintenance on the fields and roads, new wind generator I''m putting in and finishing the addition on my barn and actually making a living.... time is in short supply.

Thanks to guidance from a certain EM:lol:...my priorities have gotten rearranged.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep!
Deer season until after January.

There isn't a lot of time left after some political discussions. There is a very dangerous local election going on down south and I've managed to talk two bills out of being prefiled in the neighboring county.

Add the fall and winter maintenance on the fields and roads, new wind generator I''m putting in and finishing the addition on my barn and actually making a living.... time is in short supply.

Thanks to guidance from a certain EM:lol:...my priorities have gotten rearranged.

Hope the "guidance wasn't too painful and that you recover soon. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hope the "guidance wasn't too painful and that you recover soon. :lol:

No, not painful at all. Really all it did was firm up some feelings I've had for a year about what direction the gun lobby is going and where to put my efforts. Like I said, time is in short supply.

I've always stayed out of the gun lobby except to support VCDL's efforts. My time in the GA has been to work on Rural issues like agriculture, environment and Ag. power generation.

Guns have always been a part of country life but I see very little recognition of that even though they are hands down, the largest group of gun owners and users in the state. Saturday was a good example. I could not carry a handgun while hunting but a CHP could have. VCDL's documented response to that last year was (From memory)...well everyone can afford $50.00 for a permit. Yeah, I can afford it, if I wanted one.

I'm just setting my schedules in accordance with my priorities rather than issues that don't concern me.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, not painful at all. Really all it did was firm up some feelings I've had for a year about what direction the gun lobby is going and where to put my efforts. Like I said, time is in short supply.

I've always stayed out of the gun lobby except to support VCDL's efforts. My time in the GA has been to work on Rural issues like agriculture, environment and Ag. power generation.

Guns have always been a part of country life but I see very little recognition of that even though they are hands down, the largest group of gun owners and users in the state.

I'm just setting my schedules in accordance with my priorities rather than issues that don't concern me.

Ah, the city vs rural thing - hard to get them in the same room sometimes, much less to talk and take intelligent action.

No question, that getting the out of the big city vote organized and working together could have a major impact ........ it all begins with the local elections.