• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control, Angelo Codevilla's comments from The Character of Nations

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Consequently, whereas Tocqueville had found America the safest and most law-abiding of places because citizens defended their own lives, property, and honor with their own arms, in our time American cities may be among the world's most unsafe places. In these cities, courts have consistently held individuals acting in undeniable self-defense liable for injuries to the assailant. Courts will protect a loud-mouthed youth who shouts obscenities at a woman, but punish the woman's husband or the youth's father who punches that mouth. The regime has brought this about -- not the people. Carlos Brea, the San Francisco judge who vacated a judgement against a cab driver who had pinned an armed robber to a wall with his cab, became a popular hero in 1992.

The law enforcement establishment's constant refrain is that the country is violent because ordinary citizens are violent and that controlling citizen violence through gun control is the key to safety. But this is nearly the reverse of reality.[DH emphasis] Thus, a perceptive observer has written: "Crime is rampant because the law-abiding, each of us, condone it, excuse it, permit it, submit to it. We permit and encourage it because we do not fight back, immediately, then and there, where it happens. Crime is not rampant because we do not have enough prisons, because judges and prosecutors are too soft, because the police are hamstrung with absurd technicalities. The defect is there in our character. We are a nation of cowards and shirkers." (Jeffrey Snyder. "A Nation of Cowards," Public Interest (Fall 1993): 42"
I exhort all to read The Character of Nations

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But I'm too lazy, tired, whiney and whimpy to actually search on my own to find out what and where I could do that, and you are a meaney for not providing a link that will take me directly to the information that includes shipping costs. :p

stay safe.

PS - thanks for a decent suggestion. That's one.