• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything new with Jesus Gonzales case?

M

McX

remember you can still contribute to his legal defense fund, it is listed in the stickied thread, that was locked out.

MKEgal

To make it easier to find his case among all the similar names, here's the case #:
2010CF002323

Yes, this is moving slowly.
If you read the notes of what's happened so far, in Feb. the State dumped more than 400 pages of documents on his lawyer just a couple weeks before the trial was scheduled, which caused one postponement.

I can't imagine the pressure he's living under, having this hanging over him.

TyGuy

It looks like final pre-trial is set for 10-14-2011, with the trial on 10-24-2011. I hope that the truth comes out and that justice is done.

M

McX

remember you can still contribute to his legal defense fund, it is listed in the stickied thread, that was locked out.

reposted

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Just a reminder bump:

10-11-2011 Rescheduled Sankovitz-29, Richard J.
spacer.gif
Additional Text:
spacer.gif
Clerk received call from defense counsel requesting the final pretrial be moved from Oct. 13, 2011 to Oct. 14, 2011 at 8:30 a.m., due to her calendar. Defendant not in custody, therefore, defense counsel is responsible to notify him of this date. Defense counsel advised the clerk that ADA Huebner does not object to this adjournment.

Last edited:

TyGuy

Looks like the case is set for a Jury trial on 10-24-11. I'm trying to decide if I should drive up for it.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Looks like the case is set for a Jury trial on 10-24-11. I'm trying to decide if I should drive up for it.

10-14-2011
Final pre-trial
Sankovitz-29, Richard J.
Kasprzak, Linda
spacer.gif
Event Party

spacer.gif
Gonzalez, Jesus

spacer.gif
Additional Text:
spacer.gif
Defendant Jesus Gonzalez in court with attorney Nelida Cortes. Grant Huebner appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Parties are prepared to proceed with Jury Trial set for 10-24-2011 at 08:30 a.m. in Branch 29. COURT WILL RETAIN FILE.

Does anyone know when the general public will get to see the evidence/statements? I have no idea how that works. I'd really like to go to the trial at least one of the days.

Interceptor_Knight

self defense is NOT a crime!

It is if a lesser force would have sufficed. In WI, there must be an imminent threat of death in order to justify the use of deadly force. Even if it is at night you had better be able to articulate that threat and convince a jury of it if you choose to kill or paralyze, etc an unarmed man. This is part of the responsibility and consequences when we choose to arm ourselves with a handgun.
It sure will be nice to finally hear Jesus' side of the story.
Yes it will.
Wisely, Jesus has not discussed his side of the story in public. He will finally be able to do so in court soon.

bmwguy11

I like how the article mentions Jesus has no prior records, but neglects to mention that the prior records of the "victims" include:

-battery
-disorderly conduct
-possession of THC
-underage drinking
-other charges that were "read in" (dropped due to a plea deal)

This information is per the wisconsin circuit court access site.

Here's something else that smells fishy to me. According to the criminal complaint the two victims left a bar and decided to go to a friend's house. One of them got his car while the other started walking to the friend's house, and they agreed to meet up at the friend's house. (in other words one was going to walk, the other drive, to the same place)

Um... what? Who the hell does that? Wouldn't you either both just drive over in the car? Or leave the car there and both walk? Fishy fishy fishy if you ask me...

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I like how the article mentions Jesus has no prior records, but neglects to mention that the prior records of the "victims" include:

-battery
-disorderly conduct
-possession of THC
-underage drinking
-other charges that were "read in" (dropped due to a plea deal)

This information is per the wisconsin circuit court access site.

Here's something else that smells fishy to me. According to the criminal complaint the two victims left a bar and decided to go to a friend's house. One of them got his car while the other started walking to the friend's house, and they agreed to meet up at the friend's house. (in other words one was going to walk, the other drive, to the same place)

Um... what? Who the hell does that? Wouldn't you either both just drive over in the car? Or leave the car there and both walk? Fishy fishy fishy if you ask me...

Wow, some great points pointed out here. Hopefully the jury takes into consideration the history of crime the "victims" had.

Interceptor_Knight

-disorderly conduct
-possession of THC
-underage drinking..

These 3 are absolutely irrelevant to this case and not even worth mentioning.....

The battery charge does not infer attempted murder or highly violent.
Wow, some great points pointed out here. Hopefully the jury takes into consideration the history of crime the "victims" had.

Having a past criminal record does not negate your right to life and is irrelevant to whether or not Jesus was privileged to use deadly force in this incident. The man killed was unarmed and in a vehicle. The man wounded was unarmed and did not even strike Jesus by his own brief public accounts.

Taking a life is a serious matter. All I am saying is that he should have solid justification for it. Many of the posters are assuming that he did. I haven't assumed that he did not but I am not going to jump on the condemn the victims to death band wagon just because one or both have a past criminal record.

For all who think that they "know" Jesus was justified in shooting both men and killing one, my question to you is what would be your course of action if you were not armed with a handgun in such a scenario from what little we know of what happened that night?
If you have the luxury of making a choice, your first course of action should be the same whether or not you are armed. If your only response to a threat is to draw and shoot then you have painted yourself in a corner and had better be willing to deal with the consequences.

I don't "know" anything about what happened except that one man is dead and the other's life will never be the same. I am patiently waiting for the truth to come out and trying not to assume too much.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

...Does anyone know when the general public will get to see the evidence/statements? I have no idea how that works. I'd really like to go to the trial at least one of the days.

You should be able to simply sit in the court room during the proceedings and listen. The media is already all over this also.
State vs. Jesus Gonzalez may prove to be the best evidence for either side of the gun rights debate: Did Gonzalez save his own life because he carried a gun, or did he kill one man and paralyze another because deadly force was readily available at his hip?
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/milwaukee-shooting-case-puts-focus-on-gun-rights-132388913.html

bmwguy11

These 3 are absolutely irrelevant to this case and not even worth mentioning.....

The battery charge does not infer attempted murder or highly violent.
They are relevant in terms of character reference when listening to testimony, particularly in cases where it is one person's word against another's. Whether or not their past convictions will be allowed as evidence or character reference in the case will be up to the judge. But to say that they have no relevance or place in this case is quite simply incorrect. It happens all the time in court when prior records are taken into consideration when determining credibility of someone's testimony.

Having a past criminal record does not negate your right to life and is irrelevant to whether or not Jesus was privileged to use deadly force in this incident.
You are correct. But it does have a bearing on credibility, if the judge sees fit to allow it.

The man killed was unarmed and in a vehicle.
Are you presenting this as fact? How do you know he was unarmed? Remember that man drove away and died later on somewhere else. Are you saying there was no possibility he was armed and disposed of the weapon before he was found? I was unaware these facts had already gone to trial and been determined.
The man wounded was unarmed and did not even strike Jesus by his own brief public accounts.
But at the time of the shooting, did Jesus know that? If it is determined that he did not, then it doesn't matter if the man was ultimately armed or not. This is again something that will be determined in court.

Taking a life is a serious matter. All I am saying is that he should have solid justification for it. Many of the posters are assuming that he did. I haven't assumed that he did not but I am not going to jump on the condemn the victims to death band wagon just because one or both have a past criminal record.
You are absolutely right. Not until the facts of the case and guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law will we really know. The media has done what they can to paint Jesus as guilty. I merely made points that spun a different picture of the situation, and show how the media twisted the story to lean one way, instead of providing all the facts. That's all. I have no idea if Jesus is guilty or not. That's not for us to decide. It will however, have an impact on those of us who defend our right to the 2nd amendment.

paul@paul-fisher.com

This will be my last comment until the jury is back.

I pray that Jesus stay strong. I pray that his lawyer does a good job presenting the evidence. I pray that the truth becomes known and I pray that justice is done.

If you are religious, I hope you pray the same. If not, at least think good thoughts.