• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Florida

zerodown

Hello to all !

I'm from Florida and a happy newby to the Forum.

Does anyone know, especially those from FL, what the process is, that results in OC being legalized in any State, but FL in particular? I'm interested in what it would take, and what vehicle would need to be used, for We the People to pass a bill in FL which would legalize OC.

Thanks in advance.

ZD-

eye95

The laws on carry and the process for changing laws vary wildly from State to State. May I suggest that you post in the Florida sub-forum. From the main index, scroll down to the list of States. They are in alphabetical order.

Welcome.

I believe OC is illegal in Florida--one of only seven States where it is against the law. You have my sympathies.

aadvark

eye95:

Your analysis of Florida Law is correct, however; Florida deos employ a Fishing, Hunting, and Trapping exception as against The Open Carry Prohibitions.

Florida Laws 790.25(h), 790.25(j), AND 790.25(k) work exceptions to Florida Law 790.053 [The Open Carry Prohibition Statute], when such Activities are BOTH 1. Lawful, AND 2. By a Person who is not enumerated ineligible under Federal or Florida State Law from Possessing the Firearm so as long as the Possesion does not occur at a Place of Nuisance or by a Vagrant.

aadvark

P.S.: zerodown, a Florida Firearm Organization is actively trying to convince the Florida Legislature to REPEAL 790.053, BUT as of yet, their efforts are Unsuccessful. The Organization to contact is listed: http://opencarryflorida.org/

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
P.S.: zerodown, a Florida Firearm Organization is actively trying to convince the Florida Legislature to REPEAL 790.053, BUT as of yet, their efforts are Unsuccessful. The Organization to contact is listed: http://opencarryflorida.org/

I've never been able to get in contact with anyone from that site or find out who is actually behind it other than Todd Von Bender. He has not returned my calls.

Last edited: