Thread: Open carry in Florida

Open carry in Florida

Hello to all !

I'm from Florida and a happy newby to the Forum.

Does anyone know, especially those from FL, what the process is, that results in OC being legalized in any State, but FL in particular? I'm interested in what it would take, and what vehicle would need to be used, for We the People to pass a bill in FL which would legalize OC.

Thanks in advance.

ZD-

Open Carry was legal in Florida until the "must-issue" law in the late '80s. It was still legal after the law was passed, but the word got around that you could open carry without a license. Soon after, there was a photo in many of the major Florida newspapers showing some guy wearing a cowboy-type rig in, IIRC, Miami.

Legislative panic ensued.

Real quick, the law was changed to no-open-carry.

Considering the recent SC decisions and their previous rulings that a Conctitutional right can't be licensed, I expect the law to be changed. Don't know when.
    Last edited by Japle; 10-03-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Tampa OC event

Quote Originally Posted by zerodown View Post
    Hello to all !

I'm from Florida and a happy newby to the Forum.

Does anyone know, especially those from FL, what the process is, that results in OC being legalized in any State, but FL in particular? I'm interested in what it would take, and what vehicle would need to be used, for We the People to pass a bill in FL which would legalize OC.

Thanks in advance.

ZD-

Hey where in Fl are you? we are having an OC event in Tampa if you can attend that would be great!

Here are details on the Tampa OC event: http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-C...ndar/14893056/

StogieC and Rolins...

I live down in the West Palm Beach area....I would be happy to attend the Tampa event, however I am out of the Country right now and will not return until after the 9th. Thanks for the invite though, I look forward to attending events in the future.

ZD-