• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Florida

zerodown

Hello to all !

I'm from Florida and a happy newby to the Forum.

Does anyone know, especially those from FL, what the process is, that results in OC being legalized in any State, but FL in particular? I'm interested in what it would take, and what vehicle would need to be used, for We the People to pass a bill in FL which would legalize OC.

Thanks in advance.

ZD-

Japle

Open Carry was legal in Florida until the "must-issue" law in the late '80s. It was still legal after the law was passed, but the word got around that you could open carry without a license. Soon after, there was a photo in many of the major Florida newspapers showing some guy wearing a cowboy-type rig in, IIRC, Miami.

Legislative panic ensued.

Real quick, the law was changed to no-open-carry.

Considering the recent SC decisions and their previous rulings that a Conctitutional right can't be licensed, I expect the law to be changed. Don't know when.

Last edited:

rollins

Tampa OC event

Hello to all !

I'm from Florida and a happy newby to the Forum.

Does anyone know, especially those from FL, what the process is, that results in OC being legalized in any State, but FL in particular? I'm interested in what it would take, and what vehicle would need to be used, for We the People to pass a bill in FL which would legalize OC.

Thanks in advance.

ZD-

Hey where in Fl are you? we are having an OC event in Tampa if you can attend that would be great!

zerodown

StogieC and Rolins...

I live down in the West Palm Beach area....I would be happy to attend the Tampa event, however I am out of the Country right now and will not return until after the 9th. Thanks for the invite though, I look forward to attending events in the future.

ZD-