• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pitt County Range Day at Paradise Range

elixin77

Hey guys,

During the S.C.C.C. meeting Dreamer and I had, we approached the idea of having a range day where ECU students can come out and shoot different guns (mostly 22LR, a little 45 and 9mm). As of right now, it's slated (not in stone though) for November 13.

We have logistics to take care of first (Dreamer said he'd call the range and see if we can't get a group discount, advertising on ECU campus about the range day, etc etc), but we would like it if other board members showed up as well. We're going to have a fairly aggressive advertisement scheme going for this, as the more students that show up, the better.

We're thinking that for those that are unarmed, let them shoot 22lR all they want, and let them try a magazine or two with pistol calibers. If they want to shoot more, than they can bring their own ammo. However, asking them to bring ammo is also tied into how much they'll be paying at the range (low range fee, bring ammo; high range fee, we'll share some).

This will be a great opportunity to branch out to the ECU crowd, and show them that shooting guns is actually quite fun, and see if we can go from there. It can also be used as an excuse for other OCDO members to show up so we can rag on each other about who's the better shot, and the more people that show up, the better. And since we'll have a range officer on sight, we'll be able to concentrate on helping people who are new to shooting.

While we won't be able to have the awesome course that Smith45ACP setup, we'll at least have a good amount of paper to shoot at, and there is a shotgun/skeet shooting area as well, so we can have our mini-competition again.

So write down on your calendars, get ammo ready, and come and have another day of fun out in Greenville :)

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I know I'll be there! I can bring some ammo if needed.

elixin77

Bumpage.

Need some more input before dreamer and I dedicate a good chunk of time to this and not have anyone show up. Even if only a few ECU students came out, it'd still be worth it if a few OCDO people came out as well.

M

mattwestm

If there is not enough interest, I'd still like to have a range day with Dreamer and Elixin77 and anyone else who is interested.

Bearfoot

Good idea guys.:cool: I would assume that this range is fairly close to G'ville. Will keep eyes on the thread for further info.

Question: Will this be a handgun only event?

Dreamer

Bearfoot,

Paradise Hunting Preserve is an outdoor range, and allows ALL firearms.

Usually I shoot pistol there, but we have shot rifles and shotguns on the same line.

They also have a trap and skeet field, but I have never used it. They have a thrower, but you must supply your own clays...

http://paradisehuntingpreserve.com/index.shtml

Paradise range is less than 20 minutes from downtown Greenville, so yes, it is very close.

I'm talking with Randy (the owner) to perhaps get a block of time that morning reserved for us, so we can have the range all to ourselves, since we may have a few "new shooters", and training is easier if the range is less chaotic. Plus if we reserve th erange for a block of time, we can have a designated RSO who can control when the range is hot or not. When its open to the public, the range only goes cold when everyone decides to take a break, and getting a consensus for breaks in firing can be difficult...

I should have my NRA RSO and Basic Pistol Instructor Certification by then, so I'll be glad to take that responsibility, but it's all dependent on whether or not we can get enough people to make it worthwhile for Rangy to close the range for our private use...

See ya there!

M

mattwestm

Good idea guys.:cool: I would assume that this range is fairly close to G'ville. Will keep eyes on the thread for further info.

Question: Will this be a handgun only event?

It's right down the road for you. It's off 43, about 10 miles from Greenville.

elixin77

no this will not be a handgun only event.

it's a 'if you can shoot it, bring it' event, haha. The range lets us use all calibers up to (and including?) .50 BMG, so lets use all that we can.

Bearfoot

Cool beans. Will make a reminder for that date. Not gonna make a commitment as of yet. It would be nice to get out and get non-shooters educated on proper firearms handling and to not be afraid of something that could possibly one day save your life and a deterrant to it happening in the first place. My gf likes to shoot, but like so many folks, the noise and recoil is a bit freaky. I did tell her to take her time making the decision, and when she is ready to carry, just let me know and we will go from there.

M

mattwestm

I wanted to get some info on how we are going to advertise for this event. Is dreamer making some posters? If so, I'll be glad to help post them around campus. I was thinking we could include the facebook page or someones email address. That way, people could let us know and we could get a count of how many people are coming out.

elixin77

Dreamer and I are going to get together in the near future so we can get some posters drawn up. After that, we just needto hand them out and post them everywhere. The more help we have handing them out and or posting them up the better.

Dreamer

I'll be returning to NC late Tuesday night from my foray into the PRM. We can get together later this week. You know where I work... ;)

I've already go ta head start on the "Range Day" flyers, so we can hash out the details this week, and start spreading them around by the weekend.

I've also contacted Randy (The owner of Paradise) and he said he can give us a reduced group rate, and can give us a closed range for a few hours in the morning--IF we have enough people...

Dreamer

Is this planned for a Saturday morning?

Yes. It will be easier to get private use of the range at the beginning of the day. And we thought that if people want to stay after our time is up, they would have th rest of the day to hang out and plink.

If we schedule it for the END of the day, people wouldn't be able to stay afterwards to continue shooting.

And scheduling it for the middle fo the day makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get "private range time" scheduled, because Randy would have to close down the range for us for a few hours and then re-open it--not really fair for his regular customers.

And anyway, 9am isn't THAT early...

Last edited:

sultan62

Regarding OP, I am unaware of any course I have helped to set up. I haven't even been to a range day with anyone here yet.

I'm gonna be down in Washington today helping my Dad on his boat, but I don't think I'll have time to do anything.

I'll be OCing, though not while we're actually working on the boat because I don't want to get paint and stuff on the gun. If you see a guy in blue jeans and a green shirt out in the boatyard across from Broad Creek Marina, it's probably me.

elixin77

Regarding OP, I am unaware of any course I have helped to set up. I haven't even been to a range day with anyone here yet.

I'm terribly sorry about that - I got my names confused (very easy for me - i'm horrible with names).

names have been changed, and hopefully no harm no foul.

Hopefully you can join us with this one sultan

Dreamer

I'll be OCing, though not while we're actually working on the boat because I don't want to get paint and stuff on the gun. If you see a guy in blue jeans and a green shirt out in the boatyard across from Broad Creek Marina, it's probably me.

If I remember correctly, it is against NC law to have a loaded firearm in your possession on a boat ramp or ramp access area. In a marina, or on your boat is OK, but not on a state-owned boat ramp or access area.

I' still looking for the exact statute--I know it's not in the CC statutes--I think it's part of the DNR regs...

But if your boat is moored in a marina, or the access area is private property, OC and CC should be legal, as long as the facility is not posted.

Last edited:

elixin77

Something off a quick google search, but didn't have a statute number next to it:

Other notable state laws:

* Loaded firearms are prohibited at all N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission public access areas (boat ramps) and public fishing areas.
* It is also unlawful to possess a loaded firearm within a posted restricted zone of any state-owned fish hatchery.
* In counties where shining a light at deer is not prohibited, it is always unlawful to be in possession of any firearm, including a concealed firearm with permit, while shining a light in search of deer.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/NewsRelea...rry_Permit_for_Firearms_Prompts_Questions.htm

My understanding is that if the boat ramp is public, it might belong to the NC wildlife people. If its private, it falls under private property laws, and therefore do whatever you want.