• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slightly off topic. "Lethal force is authorized beyond this point"

Aaron1124

I can't recall exactly where I've seen this sign, but it took me a little by surprise. It was somewhere in the Kent/Covington area last year. There was a sign that clearly stated "Lethal force is authorized beyond this point."

Anyone know anything about that, and what exactly it means? I've never heard of a case where a person was justified in using lethal force for trespassing.

antispam540

Well, it's either a military installation, or someone who has a "no trespassing" sign on the border of their property. I'm not sure why (or even, technically, if) a no trespassing sign allows lethal force against trespassers - I suppose, since they know they shouldn't be on the land, you can assume they are there to harm you or break the law.

Aaron1124

Well, it's either a military installation, or someone who has a "no trespassing" sign on the border of their property. I'm not sure why (or even, technically, if) a no trespassing sign allows lethal force against trespassers - I suppose, since they know they shouldn't be on the land, you can assume they are there to harm you or break the law.

I do remember it was a private residence.

oneeyeross

probably somebody who just copied a DoD sign. There are VERY few places that the DoD even posts those signs (Area 51 being one of them)... I personally have only had one guard mount where we were specifically told to be prepared to shoot, and that was in regard to a particular type of "special" ordinance...any other time it was always "HALT! Do not move or I will shoot!"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
probably somebody who just copied a DoD sign. There are VERY few places that the DoD even posts those signs (Area 51 being one of them)... I personally have only had one guard mount where we were specifically told to be prepared to shoot, and that was in regard to a particular type of "special" ordinance...any other time it was always "HALT! Do not move or I will shoot!"

Does Bangor have similar signs? I thought they did?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I worked at a facility similar to Bangor, WA and regularly faced 'lethal force authorized', including times when the special material was itself far more lethal than any force. We joked that 'they' should be allowed to hand-carry it by the arm load away from some remote location.

I also watched the Marines run the decks, armed in undress skivvies and body armor, back to back, in the dark at 0030. Made me glad to be a civilian again, honored that they were there to protect me and glad to honor them for their broken bones.

Aaron1124

I'm not up on trespassing law - if it's posted no trespassing, is it legal (not necessarily advised or morally right) to shoot trespassers on sight?

While I can't answer for sure, the justifiable homicide statute states that homicide is justifiable to prevent the commission of a felony, in which is being performed in the presence of the slayer. Trespassing in itself, is not a felony, so I wouldn't think lethal force can be used in these circumstances.

antispam540

While I can't answer for sure, the justifiable homicide statute states that homicide is justifiable to prevent the commission of a felony, in which is being performed in the presence of the slayer. Trespassing in itself, is not a felony, so I wouldn't think lethal force can be used in these circumstances.

Understandable. I wonder why the media always portrays the "no trespassing" properties as "you will be shot at by old men with shotguns" properties. If someone's trespassing, all you can do is call the police?

Aaron1124

Understandable. I wonder why the media always portrays the "no trespassing" properties as "you will be shot at by old men with shotguns" properties. If someone's trespassing, all you can do is call the police?

You can tell them to leave, and if they don't, they are trespassing, thus, committing a misdemeanor in your presence. You now have the right to use force to remove them from your property, or to conduct a "citizens arrest".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You can tell them to leave, and if they don't, they are trespassing, thus, committing a misdemeanor in your presence. You now have the right to use force to remove them from your property, or to conduct a "citizens arrest".

Cites, please.

Forum Rule #5:

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Last edited:

Aaron1124

Cites, please.

Forum Rule #5:

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.020

RCW 9A.16.020

Use of force — When lawful.

The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

gsx1138

Safe-house for the fedgov agency that starts with the third letter of the alphabet?

Maybe just an escalation of the old "trespassers will be shot" sign?

When I was a Jehovah's Witness making my rounds on a fine Saturday morning we were greeted in a driveway by a MWAG. Turns out it was a FBI safehouse. No signs.

So far as I know a private residence can't actually follow through on such a sign.

amlevin

I grew up just outside this facility when it was called the Bangor Ammunition Depot. The best deer hunting was inside the south fence where there were lots of wooded areas and no "bunkers". We used lots of "lethal force" during hunting season.

When it became the Trident Submarine Base this train visited once in a while. They would DEFINITELY use Lethal Force if you messed with them.

574921232898202.jpg

This train would come from the PANTEX facility delivering those "little things" that made the "big things" go BANG!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Yes military ammo dumps have these signs and they mean it.
The ones I have been at in Germany near the French Border they played no games and this was in the early 70's M16 with M203 grenade launcher, M60's and laws with in the fenced areas and around bunkers. Some had M60 Gun mounted jeeps as well.

Here in the States were pretty close to the same but all had high fences, barbwire and large signs.