• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure how to handle this one

Deleted_User

Before going into the story, I've decided to go with a friend (Prolly Doc or Paddy if available) to shop and possibly get a chance to speak with the man.

I posted how my mom works at the Kmart in Lakewood and her boss doesn't like the fact I OC'd it. My mom went back in and gave him a pamphlet. This guy proceeded to tell her she should've trespassed me, IMMEDIATELY! My mother informed him she can't cause OC is legal and she isn't a manager. The man then informed her he could GUN GRAB and take my firearm and shoot someone and I couldn't stop it. She schooled him on retention holsters and told him my holster (Serpa) has a "lock" on it and it wouldn't happen. He wasn't so sure and commented about how easy it would be for him to get to it

This sounds a tad dangerous and I was rather surprised at what transpired just from me shopping with my wife and kids. Do I bother to talk to management or just simply shop elsewhere? This guy sounds like a danger. I open respectful comments and thanks.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Where I work, or where family works. I seperate my oc.cc world and conceal. Even though it is known, I choose, due to the political climate (not the legal climate) to conceal or to be elsewhere.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Where I work, or where family works. I seperate and conceal. Even though it is know, I choose, due to the political climate (not the legal climate) to conceal or to be elsewhere.

Good advice. She, however, never told him we were related. But, it is sound advice

Ruby

Good advice. She, however, never told him we were related. But, it is sound advice

I agree with Gogo. I would not let him know that she is your mother, it could cost her her job. I agree with you also, he does sound dangerous. It sounds like he has watched too much TV or Hollywood movies!

acmariner99

Sounds familiar

He sounds an awful lot like the nut I ran into earlier this year. In this case, Id respect his opinion by shopping elsewhere. I see no need to engage him further. He doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about and his response leads me to believe that if you have further encounters with him, he may try to prove his point by attempting to grab for your gun -- and we know full well that that scenario can get ugly in a hurry.

oneeyeross

I would avoid being around the man OC. He sounds like the type that would try something just to "prove" himself....which could cause all kinds of issues.

antispam540

I would avoid being around the man OC. He sounds like the type that would try something just to "prove" himself....which could cause all kinds of issues.

Agreed. Still, this could come from anyone around you, and you probably won't have the luxury of knowing that they're like this guy. I'd practice some retention moves before the next time you go to the store. If he tries something, elbow him in the face and let it be a lesson to him. It's the kinder thing to do - if he thinks he can try that, the next person he tries it on might not be so forgiving.

Tawnos

Agreed. Still, this could come from anyone around you, and you probably won't have the luxury of knowing that they're like this guy. I'd practice some retention moves before the next time you go to the store. If he tries something, elbow him in the face and let it be a lesson to him. It's the kinder thing to do - if he thinks he can try that, the next person he tries it on might not be so forgiving.

How to throw a front elbow:

1) Grab the collar of your shirt right by your shoulder.
2) Swing your hips, causing your torso to follow.
3) Keep your arm relaxed, you're trying to "whip" it into your target.
4) Strike your target at a point about 2-3" down from your elbow.
5) Your attack should go "through' the target. Don't just aim at the surface, aim at a point on the other side.

This attack is best done when practically face to face with your target. Similar attacks can be taken to the side, the rear, over the back, as an uppercut, etc.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
funny that Kmart allows lawful carry.... I'll find the email

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-POLICY-(-quot-We-now-follow-state-law-quot-)

Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday

Last edited:

sultan62

The manager should have made it clear that he could ATTEMPT a gun grab, and likely get broken bones and/or a couple extra breathing holes.

Deleted_User

I appreciate the responses and M1 +1 for that letter. I may pocket that next time I pick my mom up from work.

Thanks everyone

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Next Meet

I think we found the location of our next meet? Let's see him grab 25 legally carried weapons, and see who goes to jail.

gsx1138

It would be so damn hard to prove self defense in a gun grab situation if you had to shoot someone. I think the only thing the jury would see is some gun nut shooting an unarmed man. Especially if there's no disparity of force to fall back on.

If you can handle hand to hand techniques then by all means go back. I don't think we should be intimidated by one asshat that is already over ridden by his corporate masters. +1 for M1Gunr for digging that up.

Deleted_User

I have "marginal" martial arts and self defense behind me so being in close isn't the issue. I am not worried about defense but refreshers help.

However, I don't want to write off the guy. We're changing the world, 1 person at a time. I'd hate to just let him stew in fear without giving a chance to let him speak his mind and see if I can talk to him and educate a little. Maybe he shot a window out as a kid or something.

At any route, CC is probably the best idea for when I have to go, with a copy of the policy in my back pocket.

Leatherneck

How to throw a front elbow:

1) Grab the collar of your shirt right by your shoulder.
2) Swing your hips, causing your torso to follow.
3) Keep your arm relaxed, you're trying to "whip" it into your target.
4) Strike your target at a point about 2-3" down from your elbow.
5) Your attack should go "through' the target. Don't just aim at the surface, aim at a point on the other side.

This attack is best done when practically face to face with your target. Similar attacks can be taken to the side, the rear, over the back, as an uppercut, etc.

HAHAHA!
I was going to reply with "Go in OC, let him grab at your gun, then punch him in the mouth." That's what would-be gun grabbers get.

Tawnos

HAHAHA!
I was going to reply with "Go in OC, let him grab at your gun, then punch him in the mouth." That's what would-be gun grabbers get.

If he's close enough to grab your gun, he's too close for a punch. You may be able to pull off a palm strike, but most likely your best bet is an elbow. It's close range and so devastatingly effective that many MMA groups ban it because it can let a less skilled opponent take out a better one by "mere luck" (at least, that was Bas Ruttan's justification for banning it in his fight league).

amzbrady

Go in Open Carry unloaded, have a bug for backup. Let him grab your weapon, Call 911 and let him go to jail for brandishing and attempted murder. If he chooses not to take a chance with his life but still says something to you, contact corporate and let them teach him how to be a real manager.

Aryk45XD

You could use a snap cap in the chamber. ;)

I wouldn[t worry too much about the gun grab from this guy. Of course, if he does somehow get behind you without you knowing and make an attempt, an unfriendly elbow may be what he needs.
We could go by and invite him to the range.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The man then informed her he could GUN GRAB and take my firearm and shoot someone and I couldn't stop it.

He needs to realize this is a good way to get shot and killed for being stupid. If someone is going for your gun it is a deadly threat, it is not a game and hopefully he will realize before he gets seriously hurt or worse.