• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure how to handle this one

Deleted_User

I wouldn[t worry too much about the gun grab from this guy. Of course, if he does somehow get behind you without you knowing and make an attempt, an unfriendly elbow may be what he needs.
We could go by and invite him to the range.

LOL!!! I can't even type a response

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Everyone still has to remember it's private property.... Even though places like Home Depot & Lowes allows lawful carry they still leave it up to the managers. So with that in mind if they have customer complaints the "manager" still has the authority to ask you to leave.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Everyone still has to remember it's private property.... Even though places like Home Depot & Lowes allows lawful carry they still leave it up to the managers. So with that in mind if they have customer complaints the "manager" still has the authority to ask you to leave.

Absolutely, and I'm not wanting to goad him into a confrontation, I'd just love to see his P.O.V.

Whitney

Arrogant.....or Ignorant.??????

What do you hope to gain by confronting this person? .......Quick story here as I digress.
I am an active free-diver/spear-fisher and have been confronted in a few parking lots and beaches with regard to the aquatic species I may be harvesting. It never fails some ignorant (uninformed) person is curious and starts up a conversation. Usually if they are open minded and listen I make a new friend and usually share my catch. Kind of like going down to the store and picking out your own crabs. On the other hand I have also run into closed minded persons thinking who knows what and proceed to tell what they know (arrogant). The latter is usually misinformed and has made up their mind long before meeting me. The trick is to recognize the difference between the two, not always easy.

Just sayin'.....

-Whitney

???Maybe the spear gun is not as intimidating.

Deleted_User

What do you hope to gain by confronting this person? .......Quick story here as I digress.
I am an active free-diver/spear-fisher and have been confronted in a few parking lots and beaches with regard to the aquatic species I may be harvesting. It never fails some ignorant (uninformed) person is curious and starts up a conversation. Usually if they are open minded and listen I make a new friend and usually share my catch. Kind of like going down to the store and picking out your own crabs. On the other hand I have also run into closed minded persons thinking who knows what and proceed to tell what they know (arrogant). The latter is usually misinformed and has made up their mind long before meeting me. The trick is to recognize the difference between the two, not always easy.

Just sayin'.....

-Whitney

???Maybe the spear gun is not as intimidating.

I've never met the man, so it's hard to judge.

devildoc5

I wouldn[t worry too much about the gun grab from this guy. Of course, if he does somehow get behind you without you knowing and make an attempt, an unfriendly elbow may be what he needs.
We could go by and invite him to the range.

GREAT IDEA SNAPPY!!!!!!

Seriously though I HIGHLY recommend the two pronged approach, kinda like snake teeth!

Go in unloaded OC with Vera tucked in a CC shoulder holster (the one you already have would work pretty good) hand him a copy of the corporate policy, an OC pamphlet and say "if you have any questions feel free to contact me at (insert randomyl created annonymous email address here) and I will be more than happy to help you out.

The second prong is to have a "buddy" go in PREFERABLY CCing and acting like he does not know you, just to OBSERVE and REPORT what happens if anything. Although a very close friend talking and joking with you while OCing might be a pretty big "gun grab attempt detterent" as well...

bottom line is this though, after having read some of the WELL educated responses here I can come to the conclusion that this (gentle)man might just be a schizophrenic, bipolar, hypersensitive, overzealous, gun hating individual who will never "see the light". Does that mean that we should not at least try? That is up to each individual and situation, however remember that OCDO looks to "normalize everyday open carrying of firearms"

Deleted_User

GREAT IDEA SNAPPY!!!!!!

Seriously though I HIGHLY recommend the two pronged approach, kinda like snake teeth!

Go in unloaded OC with Vera tucked in a CC shoulder holster (the one you already have would work pretty good) hand him a copy of the corporate policy, an OC pamphlet and say "if you have any questions feel free to contact me at (insert randomyl created annonymous email address here) and I will be more than happy to help you out.

The second prong is to have a "buddy" go in PREFERABLY CCing and acting like he does not know you, just to OBSERVE and REPORT what happens if anything. Although a very close friend talking and joking with you while OCing might be a pretty big "gun grab attempt detterent" as well...

bottom line is this though, after having read some of the WELL educated responses here I can come to the conclusion that this (gentle)man might just be a schizophrenic, bipolar, hypersensitive, overzealous, gun hating individual who will never "see the light". Does that mean that we should not at least try? That is up to each individual and situation, however remember that OCDO looks to "normalize everyday open carrying of firearms"

+1 for Snappy! I think what we discussed works also. Give Paddy my # and we'll discuss it tomorrow night.

meyek91974

Do you really think going to his place of work is the right forum of conversation?

First and foremost, his ignorance is no excuse to be pushed around and told where you can or cant shop; so, shop there if you like. You are not braking the law, it is your right, and the company paid many more attorney to come up with the policy. Dont be pushed around.

As well, I recently shopped at the Imperial Capitalist of Walmart to buy a few things from sporting goods and hardware; both by a secondary entrance in Automotive. Anyhow, with my items in hand, before I could check out to leave I was asked/made to leave by management. I listened to what he had to say and was polite, pointed out tactfully that Kentucky is an Open carry state by law, and mentioned that there is not a sign on the door informing me otherwise. - Needless to say, I felt at the moment that arguing with the manager would have been like arguing with a cop when pulled over so I left descretely and nicely. -----I have e-mailed wm corporate and wait for response. -then I'll continue in OC or leave it in the truck if it's policy but I'll go in with my holster still on. It's a visual awareness.

.45ACPaddy

First and foremost, his ignorance is no excuse to be pushed around and told where you can or cant shop; so, shop there if you like. You are not braking the law, it is your right, and the company paid many more attorney to come up with the policy. Dont be pushed around.

As well, I recently shopped at the Imperial Capitalist of Walmart to buy a few things from sporting goods and hardware; both by a secondary entrance in Automotive. Anyhow, with my items in hand, before I could check out to leave I was asked/made to leave by management. I listened to what he had to say and was polite, pointed out tactfully that Kentucky is an Open carry state by law, and mentioned that there is not a sign on the door informing me otherwise. - Needless to say, I felt at the moment that arguing with the manager would have been like arguing with a cop when pulled over so I left descretely and nicely. -----I have e-mailed wm corporate and wait for response. -then I'll continue in OC or leave it in the truck if it's policy but I'll go in with my holster still on. It's a visual awareness.

Their policy is to follow state law. Call corporate and have them email that store. Did it here in Lakewood and I haven't had any trouble since.

killchain

You know what they say about people who brag about fighting and winning...

They probably don't.

I wouldn't worry a bit about this manager. He was shooting off at the mouth and probably wouldn't come within 25 feet of you if you were open carrying. If he "had a problem," he'd probably call the police.

And gun grabbing is the primary reason why you have a BUG.

sudden valley gunner

You know what they say about people who brag about fighting and winning...

They probably don't.

I wouldn't worry a bit about this manager. He was shooting off at the mouth and probably wouldn't come within 25 feet of you if you were open carrying. If he "had a problem," he'd probably call the police.

And gun grabbing is the primary reason why you have a BUG.

+1 He's all mouth....

jt59

How to throw a front elbow:

1) Grab the collar of your shirt right by your shoulder.
2) Swing your hips, causing your torso to follow.
3) Keep your arm relaxed, you're trying to "whip" it into your target.
4) Strike your target at a point about 2-3" down from your elbow.
5) Your attack should go "through' the target. Don't just aim at the surface, aim at a point on the other side.

This attack is best done when practically face to face with your target. Similar attacks can be taken to the side, the rear, over the back, as an uppercut, etc.

Ok, you've been talking to my golf coach.....right?

skiingislife725

How to throw a front elbow:

1) Grab the collar of your shirt right by your shoulder.
2) Swing your hips, causing your torso to follow.
3) Keep your arm relaxed, you're trying to "whip" it into your target.
4) Strike your target at a point about 2-3" down from your elbow.
5) Your attack should go "through' the target. Don't just aim at the surface, aim at a point on the other side.

This attack is best done when practically face to face with your target. Similar attacks can be taken to the side, the rear, over the back, as an uppercut, etc.

lol Learn martial arts in five easy steps!

In all seriousness though, where'd the idea for step 1 come from? Can't say I've ever heard of it...and it seems like it'd telegraph too much.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

In all seriousness though, where'd the idea for step 1 come from? Can't say I've ever heard of it...and it seems like it'd telegraph too much.

I think it's just so that you have your arm in the correct positioning. I don't think that you have to literally grab the collar of your shirt, you could probably just bend your arm and ball your fist as if you had the collar of your shirt in hand.

Tawnos

Krav Maga. Basically, this is me writing down the drill for elbowing someone. Grabbing your shirt is the best way to ensure you've both bent your arm enough and have relaxed it enough that you're not trying to muscle it in (it forces you to swing your body rather than push your arm).

skiingislife725

Interesting. Do you still use this technique or is it designed to get beginners into using the right form? It just doesn't seem to flow...but I'm always up for new techniques...I'll have to try it next time.

Tawnos

Interesting. Do you still use this technique or is it designed to get beginners into using the right form? It just doesn't seem to flow...but I'm always up for new techniques...I'll have to try it next time.

I'm still a beginner ;)

It becomes much more flowing as you practice, such that you no longer even think of it. Even the people who have been doing it for years use that technique, though they don't grab a shirt anymore, usually. As jakk suggests, it eventually becomes just a fist approximately where you'd grab your shirt.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Well, having the day off and an apartment to myself, I decided to try that elbow that was described. I am an average height, about 5'11" and that elbow seems to be perfect for me to take out any average height person attempting anything directly behind me. Allowing my arm to be relaxed causes my arm to raise during the turn to about head level. Grabbing the collar of my shirt makes sure that my arm, being relaxed, doesn't extend without my wanting it to. I think it would hurt like hell to be on the receiving end of an elbow thrown this way.

Also, it's a great way to pop your back... =\

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Another...

This is fun to practice.

Gun Grab.

If someone reaches for your holstered firearm. Take both of your hands and use to push down on your firearm. This uses gravity in your favor. The natural position for your arms should be; your off hand is across your body pushing down your firearm. Your strong side arm is also pushing down and your arm is angled and your elbow is sticking out. Then use motion to remove the threat. Depending on whether the assault is in front of you or behind you are going to swing your entire body, with your feet at shoulder's width apart, either towards or away from the grabber. If there is a wall, or other obstacle that you can force the attacker into, the better.